Quantcast

Help with getting audio when using HDMI to DVI cable

Discussion in 'Google TV Major Issues' started by googletvnewb, Nov 5, 2011.

1. googletvnewb

googletvnewb New Member

My kids bought me this device without realizing that neither my WOW cable STB nor my TV has an HDMI port. My tv does have a DVI port, and so I have an HDMI to DVI cable connecting the two. Of course, I still have no audio. I know I need an optical cable of some kind to connect the SPDIF on Revue to the TV. What I'm confused about is what specific cable do I need. I tried some googling, but I'm still unsure, because I don't know where the other end of the cable will connect to on the TV. Do they make cables where it is SPDIF on one end and 2 RCA splits on the other end? I don't really want to purchase an AVR...this one gift is already costing me so many new purchases. So the hope is to find a cable that will do the trick for cheap.

Any and all suggestions would be most appreciated!! In case it helps, I'm currently using my dvd player as a STB, though I don't see how that could help with audio transmission.

Thank you.

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

No, because this type of connectivity needs a signal converter not only for the medium but for analog to digital signal conversion. If you can settle with setting your Google TV device to output to two channel PCM then you can use Monoprice's Digital Coax & Optical Toslink to R/L Stereo Audio Converter. Otherwise to also decode Dolby Digital Sound, you'll need the more expensive GefenTV Digital Audio Decoder. You'll also need the required Optical and RCA cables as well.

3. bkdg100

bkdg100 New Member

what is make and model of tv . ?

4. googletvnewb

googletvnewb New Member

Thank you for helping. The TV is Panasonic and model # is PT- 53WX53G

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I believe he was going to help you by looking up your available inputs on the PT-53WX53G manual. However, looking at it I see only Left/Right analog jacks are available for the DVI input of your television. Therefore, there would be no additional information that he would have been able to provide.

6. googletvnewb

googletvnewb New Member

Thanks for your help!!! Just for curiosity and knowledge's sake, would a combination of FiiO digital to analog converter, with a Optical Toslink cable and a Stereo RCA cable work?

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Sure, the only difference between that FiiO D3 Digital to Analog Audio Converter - 192kHz/24bit Optical and Coaxial DAC and the Monoprice version I linked earlier is that it supports 192k sample rates. However, it doesn't seem to actually work as advertised according to the some of the Amazon customer reviews.

8. googletvnewb

googletvnewb New Member

thanks again eferz both for the advice and the fast reply! I'll report back once I buy everything and see if it works!

• Like Like x 2
  9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help. I hope it works out for you.