Quantcast

HELP...TV channels are very choppy. Anyone else notice this?

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by breitlingtim, Dec 20, 2010.

1. breitlingtim

breitlingtim New Member

OK so I did my update this past week and the first I noticed this was watching football on Sunday. The video is so choppy when connected directly thru my Sony GTV Box. I have confirmed it's not the TV or the particular input that has the problem. Is anyone else having this problem? It's very annoying and I am hoping another update comes out soon. I have a Vizio 47" and had no problems before the update.

Thanks in advance.

2. ClosedSurf

ClosedSurf New Member

This is aggravating. Had the system since Thanksgiving and mostly worked fine. Did experience similar issue with video where it blinks for a second or two every few minutes but it only happens sometimes. I have generally been able to clear that up by changing channels to a non-high definition channel and changing back. Now after an update the other day, the sound goes out every few minutes for a few seconds. This does not happen when just using the sound on the TV itsef, but only when using bose sound system (which I repeat was working fine fror the previous month mostly before the google tv update).

3. doug

doug New Member

I am having the exact same problem with the exact same setup. Sony GTV box on a Vizio 47inch TV. I have comcast service and the problem started after the most recent GTV update. I have also verified that it is not the connection to the tv because when the Cable box is hooked directly up to the TV the video isn't choppy. Anyone have an idea what this could be?

4. scappr

scappr New Member

I don't know about the other posts here about the sound going away and choppy video but I have Comcast, like you, and the video gets choppy but then is ok and the sound will just quit and I have to hit another channel then go back and it fixes the sound problem. I just hooked up my Sony GTV but this problem was prior to installing the GTV and it affects all 4 HD TV's I have at the house. I think comcast has some issues to deal with.

5. scappr

scappr New Member

I have a bose sound system but I left the bose out of the loop unlike what they showed in the setting up help section for AVR's and it works fine for both the TV and the AVR. I get sound thru the bose for both the TV and the apps in GTV. I figured let the HDMI cables do what they advertise.

6. ClosedSurf

ClosedSurf New Member

Thanks, I was thinking about going that way also. I changed some of the sound settings in google tv setup and the system seems to be working fine, wondering if the google tv update wiped out some setting? I didn't originally do the install/setup and frankly not sure what al the settings are, but I'll write down what they are presently for future.

7. hakabo

hakabo New Member

i have also experienced choppy video. i havent noticed it on other tv's in the house. i am running 1440 HDMI from the dishnetwork box to the google tv box to the receiver to the tv... did not have a problem until adding google tv to the loop. anyone have an idea??? (note - no issues w/ audio)

8. snyderman714

snyderman714 New Member

i have directv with a samsung sir-ts 160 box and i get the same thing, however there is a switch on the back that changes from 1080i, 720p and 480p/i. when i change it to 1080i it
    gets choppy. at 720p i get nothing and at 480p/i it works fine. verry strange. my guess is it has something to do with HDCP protection.

9. scowdrey

scowdrey New Member

I am having both issues. When I put my DirecTV box directly to my Hatachi 55" TV everything works fine. When I go through the Sony GoogleTV everything gets choppy on action such as football and is impossible to watch. It also blinks out from time to time or a fairly regular basis. I don't want to lower my resolution to solve this problem. Has anyone come up with a solution?

10. ntranch@earthlink.net

ntranch@earthlink.net New Member

I have same problem with both picture and audio. I am even connected to a Sony Tv.
    Has anyone heard about a fix?

11. pls1223

pls1223 New Member

I seem to get this only when watching football, (ESPN problem?) Picture is not choppy when watching something HD on netflix for anything else. will call dish network to see if there is anything that can be done.

12. GTV Daniel

GTV Daniel New Member

Hi everyone,

I've passed this bug along to the team and we're looking into it. Is anyone seeing this choppy video issue on the Logitech Revue, or only on Sony devices?

Thanks,
    Daniel

13. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Hi Dan.
    From what I have been noticing, is most of the choppy pictures seem to be Sony..
    I did not say all, lots of people do not say what unit they are using as well, so...

14. pls1223

pls1223 New Member

I talked to dish about the problem. They had me unplug the dvr for a minute, plugged it back in and it reconfigured. it took maybe 5 minutes to finish. I also tightened all the cables. pictures seems to be much better/ sony blu ray

15. Rich Williams

Rich Williams New Member

@GTV Daniel...Sony Blu Ray player seems to be consistent among posters...and it's occurring watching sports programs in HD (football & basketball games)...there is another thread on this subject as well...LOTS of blu ray owners having this problem see thread titled "SBRGTV Choppy HD, Skipping Frames and HDMI" http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...13-sbrgtv-choppy-hd-skipping-frames-hdmi.html

Eagerly awaiting some kind of remedy or explanation !

16. Rich Williams

Rich Williams New Member

17. jsheridan86

jsheridan86 New Member

I have a Revue with Comcast tv and internet serivce. My video and audio is choppy when I first power on all my devices. After 10 to 20 seconds everything settles in and the picture is fine. It also becomes choppy for a few seconds after changing the cannel, esp with HD cannels. I wonder if the issue may be related to the refresh rate of the TV. I have a LG LCD 120HZ refresh.

18. indyemmett

indyemmett New Member

Sony says the GTV does not work with HD. Here's a copy from a live chat with Sony I had a couple months ago. I contacted Sony again and after an hour of trouble shooting but no luck.

Tyra_ > Please reduce the video resolution and check if it helps.
    me > Won't that make my TV quality worse? I really dont' want to do that.
    Tyra_ > Reducing the video resolution to standard def should resolve the issue.
    me > But I really want to keep my channels in HD.
    Tyra_ > I am sorry that this is the only option available at this point of time.
    me > All of Sony's ads say I can use Google TV in HD. Sony even sells HDTVs with Google TV. Really?

19. eguess74

eguess74 New Member

I have GTV connected with Cablevision DVR and I had TV and DVR mode working fine until the recent update. Sony reps are not helpful - we went through the factory reset and connect disconnect sequence - no luck. They have proposed to send the unit for an exchange. I don't think i want to spend money and get some refurbished unit which most probably will have the same issue.

The connection chain is all HDMI:
    Cablevision Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HD dvr -> Sony Blu-ray player/GTV -> Onkyo AV receiver

The problem:
    Extremely choppy video and even more choppy sound in TV and DVR mode. It would be even more correct to say not choppy video, but choppy dark screen, because it shows more of dark screen than video;)

When DVR connected directly to receiver - no problems.
    There were no problem before the latest update.
    I wish there would be a possibility to downgrade the firmware or rollback the update, but it seems that the next update is the only hope.

As for the previous poster - of course google tv works fine with HD, but it might be that due to this glitch in the latest software update resolution change might help. I'm going to try that to see if it makes any difference. I think my general workaround will be to connect GTV and DVR to the receiver separately and wait for the update...

20. eguess74

eguess74 New Member

Just got the info that there was an update - kind of missed it somehow... I really hope the issue is fixed with this update...