Quantcast

HELP!! Revue not working through reciever

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by TurboJumpoff, Nov 25, 2010.

1. TurboJumpoff

TurboJumpoff New Member

Hello All, and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

OK, so here's whats going on....

When routing my Comcast/ Motorola DCH3416 (HD DVR) Into my Integra DTR 40.1 via HDMI connection and then into the Logitech Revue, out to my Samsung 8000 55 LED via HDMI connection, I get choppy audio and either no video or choppy video, constantly going in and out.

When bypassing the Integra, everything works fine....

What can I do, besides changing my audio connection to optical??

2. pjosman

pjosman New Member

Had the same problem with my Motorola 6416. Problem is the cable box itself. Motorolas won't allow that connection to work. Only way is HDMI from cable box straight to tv and then optical out for the audio. Or.... see if your cable provider has a different box other than Motorola. Mine didn't.

3. TurboJumpoff

TurboJumpoff New Member

When you say the cable box must be plugged into the TV, do you mean google TV or the actual Samsung TV?

My setup currently works as..... HD DVR --> Integra 40.1 --> Samsung 8000

With google TV it worked as HD DVR --> Google TV--> Samsung 8000

SO none of the motorola cable boxes, willl let you rout them into a receiver and then into Google TV??

4. TurboJumpoff

TurboJumpoff New Member

OK, So here is my update.......

Currently posting via google tv!!

Cable -> GTV -> Samsung ... Optical from Samsung into AV input on Integra 40.1

GTV is into HDMI 2, while HDMI1 is reciever out, controlling PS3, XBOX, Apple TV, Slingbox

Does anyone know if the newer comcast/motorola cable boxes work with audio when plugged into the reciever, i believe DCX3400 ( all black)

5. live2bbq

live2bbq New Member

I have the Comcast DCX3400-m, and just purchased a new Onkyo SR608 receiver and it does not. Here is my setup:
    DCX3400m > Logitec Revue > Sony Bravia KDL46V5100 - works great @ 1080p
    DCX3400m > Onkyo SR608 > Sony Bravia KDL46V5100 - works great @ 1080p

DCX3400m > Logitec Revue > Onkyo SR608 > Sony Bravia KDL46V5100 - HDCP error
    or
    DCX3400m > Onkyo SR608 > Logitec Revue > Sony Bravia KDL46V5100 - HDCP error
    The Motorola 3400 displays DUI on the lcd and produces a HDCP error onscreen then blocks the video. Using an optical audio cable does and setting hdmi to not pass audio back does not help.

This sucks, I have up to date equipment installed as expected, and the evil HDCP copy protection blocks the video stream. The support sites recommend downgrading to component and using an audio optical cable, which negates the whole reason for the HDMI switching receiver...

So, beware the combo of Motorola DCX-3400m with Logitec Revue and an HDMI capable receiver, it may not work.

6. GTV Daniel

GTV Daniel New Member

Hi everyone,

We're aware of this issue and are working with Motorola and the cable operators to get a fix. If you'd like to provide feedback on this, feel free to be in touch with your cable providers and let them know that this is a priority for you.

Thanks for your patience!
    Daniel

7. bbsilver

bbsilver New Member

I have had Google TV up for months through Dish. Awesome! Dish DVR integration is the best. I moved to a pimp pad in SF. Pad awesome, service not so much. The wiring in my building is all jacked up. I can't get satellite. After two week of beating a dead horse, I signed up for Comcast. Pixelization all to hell. 1080i max resolution. And now GoogleTV can't transmit the HDCP signal!. Adding insult to injury, Comcast is 2x expensive. I'm going to try component next. The picture quality can't get any worse.

These type of monolpolistic practices need to stop. Post Tech - FCC's net neutrality, merger decisions could set the dial on future of TV

8. neveo

neveo New Member

Motorola set tops (most of them, anyway) implement HDCP (High Definition Content Protection) DRM. Their implementation does not allow more than two downstream devices to be chain connected via HDMI to the set top box. So you connect STB to Revue to TV (as that is 2 downstream devices) but not STB to Revue to AVR to TV (as that is 3 viz more than 2).

Only solution is to swap Motorola STB for non-motorola to to bypass the HDMI connection to the AVR- as described in the Logitech FAQ Unable to view a picture from my Motorola STB "Unable to view a picture from my Motorola STB"

9. meggers

meggers New Member

I heard that there was a firmware fix for the DCX3400 to resolve this issue with more than 3 downstream HDMI devices. Has anyone out there heard of a firmware fix? I have checked the Comcast and Motorola support site and have found no information about any firmware update. Also, arn't the firmware updates for Comcast automatic?

10. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

11. czeddie

czeddie New Member

So this is still a problem with no fix?
    I helped my cousin with his
    DCX3400 and new Denon 2311ci AV receiver hookup and we couldn't get it to work.

DCX3400 to GTV to TV works.
    DCX3400 to GTV to AVR to TV does not give any picture.

He did take the recent firmware update. Any ideas?

• Like Like x 2
  12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The symptoms you are experiencing is indicative of an High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) conflict. Comcast is notorious for enforcing a two device HDCP threshold on their set-top boxes. Some other cable providers have offered replacement boxes or firmware updates to fix this issue.

He can work around the problem. One way is to use an optical digital cable from the Revue to the AV Receiver instead of HDMI. Since the optical connection won't trip the HDCP issue on the set-top box then you can use it to avoid the conflict. Otherwise, you can use a Component (YPbPr) & S/PDIF Digital Coax/Optical Toslink Audio to HDMI Converter between the cable box and the Revue to avoid any HDCP or HDMI protocol issues stemming from your set-top box.

Finally, he can avoid the issue all together by swapping the cable box with CableCards and getting a Tivo Premiere. This is my preferred method since one can also save money from any leasing or rental fees for the cable box from their provider. In my case, I was wasting $227.76 per year on DVR and converter box fees alone. After a period of five years and $1,138.80 later, I could have had either purchased either two Tivo Premieres with Lifetime subscriptions or a single Tivo Premiere XL with Lifetime. This ultimately avoids any impositions that the cable company may enforce on the way I hook up my own AV equipment with their service.

• Like Like x 2
  13. lacunae

lacunae New Member

there is a fix in another thread here on GoogleTVForum (hmm can't post links yet - seems like there should be an exemption for internal links to other pages on this forum):
    /forum/google-tv-help/191-unable-view-cable-tv-thru-revue-2.html#post12328

and the guy who posted it is using the same (DCX3400) box as you.
    (it also works with the Motorola DCT-6416)

• Like Like x 2
  14. czeddie

czeddie New Member

Thanks, guys!
    We did use the optical cable work-around.
    I've now emailed him the link to the monoprice HDMI switcher and we'll see if that fixes the issue. We were thinking about getting an HDMI switcher anyways. Just couldn't find one locally for under $100. :)

15. czeddie

czeddie New Member

Just to update the thread with results, the powered HDMI switch from Monoprice did not resolve the issue. :(

16. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That's what happens when you take the word of a person with one post over the other whom has many more.

17. halox

halox New Member

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrn.

;)

18. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Awww. I didn't mean it like that. It is just that when companies impose their own HDCP limitations, this causes the issues to be unique to each firmware for each model of each service provider. This can be further broken down into regions based on the organizational model of the company. So, it is difficult to appropriately recommend an HDMI splitter for every situation. That's why I don't normally do it and offer my other suggestions instead.

The problem is, we don't know whether the specific issue is the lack of HDCP keys, a limit of devices or the maximum of depth set by the cable company. I suspect if the aforementioned HDMI Splitter does not work then the conflicting firmware setting wasn't due to an HDCP limitation on depth. But, there's no way to know for sure unless someone used an HDMI protocol analyzer on the device.

19. MowTin

MowTin New Member

I ran into the same issue with Time Warner's Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC box. I never ran into an HDCP issue before so this was very confusing. I wanted to pull my hair out. The strange thing is the very first time I plugged the Revue into my Denon 1911 AVR it worked. Then I moved the HDMI input to another slot and it would not work. Nothing I did would make it work again.

HDCP is such BS. No one tried to stop you from recording with your VCR back in the day. People who want to buy bootlegs will do it regardless. This just annoys the honest users while doing nothing to stop the pirates.

I also had to split off an optical cable to my AVR and send GTV directly to the tv.

20. lacunae

lacunae New Member

Did you use an HDMI switch or an HDMI splitter? (it was a splitter that was mentioned in that thread referenced above).
    Just wondering, because using the splitter did fix the problem for my parents' google tv setup with the Motorola DCT-6416 cable box.