Quantcast

HELP please - No HD picture and bars on top an below picture. Sony NS7/8

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by ChillyMutt, Aug 7, 2013.

1. ChillyMutt

ChillyMutt New Member

Wondering if anyone can be of assistance? I have spent hours troubleshooting on my own. Have attempted to call Sony support, which refers me to a different phone number which in turn refers me to a Sony "support" website - which in turn is of no help.

Have owned a Sony GT1 for several years with no issues. Recently purchased the Sony NS8. Worked well for about 2 weeks, then
    suddenly lost HD signal (everything looks SD) and now have a bar above and below picture.

Checked picture settings on TV and NS8. Nothing resolves issues.
    Checked HDMI cables - all are fine.
    Factory reset. Did not resolve issue.

Trying to isolate the issues, I connected the cable box directly to the TV with HDMI cable -I got a beautiful/perfect picture.
    When I re-connect Sony NS8 box but leave the box off (using as a pass through), the issues return - no HD picture and bars above and below picture.
    When I hook up my old Sony GT1 - I get a beautiful picture again - no issues.

Figured must be some hardware issue with the Sony NS8. So, I returned it and got a new unit and I am the same non-HD picture with bars above and below.

This is pretty maddening especial since the NS8 worked fine for several weeks.

Any help is appreciated.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

It's possible that your cable box recently received a firmware update.

See if the output resolution of your cable box matches the output setting that you have set on your Sony GTV box. Try setting both to 720P or 1080i.

Try rebooting your cable box. You may need to configure the aspect ratio output in the cable box menu. Aspect ratio (aka TV Type) settings are typically found under Settings, Options, Preferences, TV Option, or another similarly-named location in a cable box menu.

Also try going to your Sony GTV settings and re-configure the screen size.

If none of this helps I suggest contacting your cable TV company and see if you can get a different model box.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  3. ChillyMutt

ChillyMutt New Member

Yep I tried aspect ratio settings (ignorantly refereed to by me as picture settings) on my tv and reconfigured the screen size in GTV.

"See if the output resolution of your cable box matches the output setting that you have set on your GTV box. Try setting both to 720P or 1080i."

I tried turning off the GTV box - so just using the GTV as a pass thru. Shouldn't this resolve the issue (it doesn't) if it was a settings/software issue with the GTV box?

4. CatfishRivers

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  5. ChillyMutt

ChillyMutt New Member

Don't have it set-up with any other equipment. Its a pretty simple set-up.
    Cable Box > Sony GTV > TV

I will check out the HDCP troubleshooting link .... but odd that it would work perfectly with my old Sony Internet Player GT1 but not with this newer one.

Thanks for the help.

6. CatfishRivers

You're welcome. THE HDCP handshake issue can be specific between two devices. Good luck!

7. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Try this, (From GS7 settings)

1. All Apps > Settings > Picture & sound > Wide mode.

2. All Apps > Settings > Picture & sound > Resolution(2D) > Auto/720P/1080i

3. All Apps > Settings > Picture & sound > YCbCr/RGB (HDMI) > YCbCr (4:4:4) (not auto)

4. All Apps > Settings > Picture & sound > Noise reduction > Off

5. All Apps > Settings > Unit settings > Eco >
    Quick start: ON
    Auto standby: Off

6. All Apps > Settings > Unit settings >
    7. Control for HDMI > Off
    8. Advanced video setting > Mode 2

-------------

if not,
    9. change #3 to “RGB” (not Auto)

-----------

if not,
    10. Replace the two hdmi cables (even they work w/others) to High speed HDMI cables.

Btw, what TV & cable-box make/models?

8. ChillyMutt

ChillyMutt New Member

Thanks Rev. I will try those suggestions.
    Tv: Samsung PN50A550
    Cable Box: Motorola ... not sure of model - will check.

BTW had no idea there were High speed HDMI cables. Would it be a good idea to switch to those anyway?
    (And yes, I was that guy who bought the gold plated RCA patch cords for my stereo back in the day - LOL)

9. ChillyMutt

ChillyMutt New Member

Solved. I used the settings from revue5 (above) and checked and changed the cable box hidden resolution menu. Had no idea this even existed.... and it was set to 720 by default.

Comcast Motrola HD/DVR box
    With TV on, turn the cable box power off
    Push the Menu button on Remote or Box
    Wait several moments for a User Settings menu to appear on screen. (It comes up, even with power off)
    Using cursor keys, navigate to the HDMI setting. It probably says 720p next to it. (if it says 1080i, that's the max. Not many, if any, stations are broadcasting at 1080p)
    If it's 720 or lower, press the OK/Select button. Screen will blank out and reappear with new setting. Every time you press the button, it jumps to a new setting. Do it until you get the highest your box offers.
    Once you have 1080i or 1080p showing, turn the power back on with the power button. You should now have a better picture.
    And

1. All Apps > Settings > Picture & sound > Wide mode.

2. All Apps > Settings > Picture & sound > Resolution(2D) > Auto/720P/1080i

3. All Apps > Settings > Picture & sound > YCbCr/RGB (HDMI) > YCbCr (4:4:4) (not auto)

4. All Apps > Settings > Picture & sound > Noise reduction > Off

5. All Apps > Settings > Unit settings > Eco >
    Quick start: ON
    Auto standby: Off

6. All Apps > Settings > Unit settings >
    7. Control for HDMI > Off
    8. Advanced video setting > Mode 2

Fixed the issues. Now a few HD channels are showing in 4:3 aspect ratio but figure that is is just a zoom setting i can fiddle with - or leave as is.

Thanks all for the help.

10. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

You're doing it the hard way. Every cable box has those same options in the Menu w/the box on. There may be different ways to get there but the resolution options are more convenient. Also, if you make a mistake, say, setting a resolution that an Analog TV can't view, there is a delay before the setting is prompted. This gives ya the option to cancel the setting because the new resolution may not be viewable on an Analog TV. Hence the added backup of being able reset the cable box while it is off.

But it is good to know...

Carl

11. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

^
    Hi,

Actually, the OP did it right. here's how to change video resolution (& HDMI settings) on Moto cable-boxes.

His Plasma TV supports native YCbCr (4:4:4) color space (but HDMI Black level Normal/Low are backward) - the Moto box is set to YCbCr (4:4:4) (by default) -GS7 colorspace settings (step #3) to force YCbCr.

the issue seemed "color space mismatch error" (instead of HDCP handshake issue).
    similar to, few Revue users & Logitech tech thoughts in the past. It was more or less Revue's colorspace (RGB 16-235) limitation with some models of TVs/ AVRs/ STBs combination - here's more ..

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

Thanks for the correction.