Quantcast

help - no video, but getting audio on downloaded apps

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by crhilluk, Sep 19, 2012.

1. crhilluk

crhilluk New Member

Got my Costar delivered a couple of days ago. Downloaded various video apps like YouTube, CNN etc. The apps worked fine for about 30 mins after first downloading them, including streaming media from my local Plex server.

Then, they all stopped playing back video. The videos run but just play audio. Its the same on all video apps I've downloaded. Netflix works fine however.

I have force closed have tried clearing cache. No luck. I did a factory reset from menu and that corrected things after redownloading the apps....for about 30 mins, and the problem returned.

I'm out of ideas on this one, can anyone help me out - I'd hate to have to send it back, everything else works perfectly :(

Thanks in advance!

2. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Where did you download youTube and CNN ....? Have you side loaded any apps, if so name them please ...! Some apps are not for your CO-Star and will cause your Co-Star to work in a erratic minor ...

3. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Have you check your HDMI connections, make sure they are connected correctly ... Nice firm and tight, all the way in the connection ...!

4. crhilluk

crhilluk New Member

Hi Wisdom, thanks for the quick replies, I've definitely got an odd problem on my hands by the look of it!

Pics!: https://plus.google.com/photos/1039...s/5790272529368498865?authkey=CKHkmYyZnov-iQE

WHat you see there is the CNBC, CNN Money and Youtube apps all working - playing files, but a big black space where the video playback is supposed to be. Audio can be heard perfectly and vids play through to the end.

I downloaded the YouTube, CNN and NCB apps directly from within the Play store on the co-star. I also downloaded the Plex for Android app from there too. Netflix was pre-installed, obviously. There are no side-loaded apps. I literally discovered this issue within 30 minutes of unboxing and setting it up. As I said, all the apps worked fine briefly then nada, no video.

I have quadruple checked all the cables. I have also detached all devices and cables, and reconnected everything and factory refreshed (from the menu) the Co-Star, including redownloding the apps mentioned. Same problem - a few minutes of video from all the downloaded apps, then after switching between them they fail, no video playback - just audio and menus etc in-app.

On a bright note my Co-star 'sounds' wonderful, lol! :p

All the time the pre-installed Netflix app has worked perfectly, however. Video plays back perfectly, audio sounds great. That's the strange part. I bet if I pay for an Amazon subscription that'll work too as a preloaded app...

My setup is:

Blu-ray player connected into the Co-star, Co-star connecting into the Vizio TV. Co-star connected wirelessly to to the router some 8 feet away. Co-star connects painlessly to the wifi, and gets around 3.6Mbps according to the tests - which is lower than my PC a further 30 feet away oddly (better wifi hardware on my PC no doubt).

The gear:

Vizio TV: E470VL
    Blu-ray: Magnavox NB500MG1f
    Router: Dlink DIR-615 (wifi)

Software/Firmware is up to date on all devices. All devices are connected with HDMI cables that work (and checked multiple times to make sure they are firmly connected at both ends in case of an idiot moment).

Before getting the Co-star I had my PS3 plugged in via HDMI to the same TV, same cable same ports, connected wirelessly to the same router and I ran Netflix off the PS3 smoothly (just as the C-Star runs netflix smoothly).

I just don't understand why the co-star runs fine, all menus work, all apps 'work', even the apps with video problems have problems only on the video playback part, for example the YouTube app menu's all come up, the static screenshots on each video you select display fine, its only when you try to playback video do things get strange with no video playback but really good audio.

I could put it down to cables or Internet connection if things just stopped working, but its only the video playback part of apps that's affected and only on those apps downloaded from the Play store. To help vizualize, I had the CNN app on this morning, you could see a frame around where the video was supposed to be and the frame had some blue graphics to it. The playback part of screen however was just a big black rectangle. 'tis very strange.

Weird huh?

I did call Vizio support last night and they ran through the basics and are after no luck sorting it (apparently everything looks fine on their end and it 'should be working'), they are prepared to take it back by mail for a service. I'd prefer to avoid that, as that kinda defeats the point of having the thing. It not being here and all ;)

Thanks in advance for any further help!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  5. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

^^^
    Try to replace the current hdmi cables with "high-speed" HDMI cables , instead. (unless that's what you're using).

Check out this link to get some ideas - click here.

FYI, for a standard HDMI cable to work with one device is not necessarily to work with another.

good luck :)

6. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

As the poster above suggested you may have to replace your HDMI cables .... Downloading those apps were a no no, because you already have those apps, they are located in the Spotlight (Made For TV ) section ... You had me think you were not a real Vizio Co-Star Owner, now I see that you have not explored all areas of your Co-Star yet ...(lol)

Those HDMI cables can do tricky things, I believe they are the culprit of your problems .....

CNBC black hole (Dark Screen) is not a problem, it will do like that sometime, I believe that means the server is not putting out video at this time ....

7. crhilluk

crhilluk New Member

OK, ill double check the cables I have and see which were high-speed. Thanks both, ill let you know how it goes!

Good to know about how spotlight works, thanks for being patient with the n00b :D

8. crhilluk

crhilluk New Member

Righty.

Firstly, Spotlight is very nifty, even if its just a list of websites that are optimized for TV :D

I have a high speed Belkin HDMI cable running from the co-star to the TV, so no issues there. The same cable has worked perfectly with the PS3 to the same TV too. I swapped it out for one of the other HDMI cables, and still the same problem persists.

I can put up with not using apps for CNN or YouTube, but i really need to get video playback working so Plex runs fine, as connecting to a media server was one of the main reasons to get this little box.

Any other thoughts, or is this a 'return to Vizio' deal?

Thanks again in advance! :)

9. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

^^^
    Btw, what file formats running via Plex? Are we talking here?

Give this a try ,

• Resetting all A/V & network connected devices - click here

if not,

1- Perform a Factory-Reset (again, because you'll a new acc) - click here
    2- After Factory - create a new Google Account at sign-in.

Notes,
    * Disconnect any USB devices before performing a Factory-Reset.
    * Don't download any Apps yet, first test a/v on all preinstall native Apps followed by web Apps,
    then (if needed) down load one App only test it & stop there.

If not,

• Perform a Factory-Reset on the Router - click here

good luck :)

10. crhilluk

crhilluk New Member

Thanks revue5, i'll give that a whirl as well :D

11. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Factory reset and start from scratch sounds like a good idea, but assuming your internet connection is solid and normal ... there's no reason for streaming videos not to display when the screens appear fine. So you may be looking at needing to return the box ... You could try turning off HDMI control. If there was a handshaking issue, the Vizio may have decided that your TV was a video recorder and may refuse to stream copy protected video to it.

12. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

What do I do if I get a black screen while my Co-Star is connected to a Cable Box or Satellite Receiver?

Published 08/16/2012 02:42 PM | Updated 08/17/2012 06:23 AM
    What do I do if I get a black screen while my Co-Star is connected to a Cable Box?
    1. Check the HDMI cable connections are securely connected to the Co-Star, set-top box, and TV. You may need to temporarily disconnect the HDMI cables, and then reconnect the cables into the appropriate HDMI ports.
    2. Make sure the set-top box is powered on.
    3. Make sure the TV is on the proper HDMI input that the Co-Star is connected to.
    4. If there is still no picture, turn the Co-Star and the set-top box off and on.
    5. If there is still no picture from the set-top box, bypass the Co-Star by connecting the set-top box directly to the TV to make sure it is outputting a signal. If a signal is being output, go into the set-top box menu and change the output resolution to 1080i. There should be no other output resolutions selected. Reconnect the set-top box to the Co-Star.
    6. If the issue is not resolved, your set-top box may need a firmware update. Contact your Cable or Satellite provider to determine if there is a firmware update available for your set-top box.

Was this answer helpful

13. crhilluk

crhilluk New Member

Thanks for the ongoing list of tips guys. I do get a picture from the device, its not a black _screen_. Just a bit of it is black, on downloaded apps only (and all of the above list has been done three times, in any event).

There's a bunch of suggestions from today here that I'll try, I'm loathe to factory reset the router just because its a pain (I have about 15 connected devices now, the list is getting loooooooong). Will see if any of the above suggestions work. As I think I said, Vizio themselves are clueless on this one and are quite happy to receive a return if I can't sort it out.

Perseverance, that's the key! heh ;)

14. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Did you set your media boxes to 1080i as suggested above ....?

15. crhilluk

crhilluk New Member

Hi Wisdom

I don't have cabletv / other media boxes. Blue-ray, Co-star and TV, thassit. The Blue-ray was already set correctly.

As for the question about file formats on Plex, they are MP4. I used Handbrake to convert them and they playback perfectly streamed from the same server to an iPad1 and iPad2 (even when they were not playing back fine through the Co-Star).

Anyway...I have some (cautiously reported) progress.

I did everything short of resetting the router on the guidance links you all provided (i'll leave that till i'm really desperate). Still no dice. Same problem.

So, I did another factory reset just for the hell of it, checked video in native apps like YouTube, Netflix etc and everything was fine. Slowly installed the apps I wanted (CNN Money, CNBC), and tested each of them one by one. All was fine! Then, I installed Plex (drum-roll), all was fine! ......until i 'full screened' one of the files I was playing back, and boom. Problem appeared in Plex. Switched off fullscreen, problem went away. Tested the other apps and.....still working! Sat playing with the various apps for an hour, switching between them like a madman trying to break it, and it still worked.

So, I turned everything off, left things for a bit, and rebooted. And everything still worked.

I don't recall testing full screen in plex before so I'm not convinced that's the same issue, but the problem has apparently vanished on the 4th factory reset. I'll let you know if it resurfaces.

Thanks for all your help, its sincerely appreciated. Who wants to put money on it simply dying on me tomorrow? ;)

16. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I was thinking you were using PlayPoint to access your Plex media Server, although PlayPoint will list the Plex Media Server, but not use it to access your Plex Media Server files. that's a no no ... Use Plex Google TV app only to acees your Plex Media Server (Media Folders) ...

17. crhilluk

crhilluk New Member

Nope, am using the Plex for Android app available through the Google Play store on the co-star menu. I haven't....er.....'played' with PlayPoint yet.

As it happens, everything is working fine still today. Still haven't figured out exactly what the cause was. I've seen some feedback on the Plex forums / reviews about losing video (but not audio) playback, but no word on that issue somehow seeping over to other downloaded apps, as appeared to happen to me.

For now at least, I'm happy its working and am loving the thing.

Thanks again for your ongoing suggestions guys, i'd almost lost hope after speaking with Vizio support! :)

18. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Congrats! :)

19. louielouie

louielouie New Member

I just had the same problem. Any sort of streaming video in an app did not work - YouTube, DramaFever, etc. What's strange is that some things in YouTube worked, like the VEVO overlay. Audio worked perfectly. Also, YouTube in Chrome worked.

So it seems like there was some sort of issue with Flash and/or video authorization.

I tried resetting apps and restarting, but in the end factory reset solved it.

20. MIlh0U5E

MIlh0U5E New Member

I'm having this same issue... YouTube and Netflix play, but with a black box on the screen... All you can see is the edges of the video playing.

i watched YouTube XL thru chrome just fine, so it appears to just be affecting online streaming with apps. This is a new problem, as I watched Netflix and YouTube recently.

this thing is getting on my nerves.... Not worth the 100 bucks IMHO.