Quantcast

Help: no audio from optical output?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by simollie, Dec 30, 2011.

1. simollie

simollie New Member

Just got my Revue and spent a few hours struggling with the audio setup. I have a projector instead of a TV so the audio has to go through the optical port. My audio setup is rather rudimentary. I have an old mini CD/radio audio system that takes L/R RCA as its AUX input, so it's something like this:

Revue ---> HDMI -> projector
    |-> Toslink -> Digital to Analog Audio converter -> RCA -> Audio system

Everything worked fine except that I'm not getting any audio. No sound whatsoever. The audio converter is one that I saw somebody recommended on Logitech user forum (I can't post link, but if you search "Digital Coax & Optical Toslink to Analog Audio Converter" on amazon it's the first one in the list).

I don't have another source of optical audio so I can only test part of the converter by connecting a DVD player from its digital coax audio output to the coax input of the converter. I got perfect sound from that setup. So this proves half of the converter and the RCA to audio part are working. That means the problem could be the Revue optical output, the Toslink cable, or the optical input part of the converter.

My question is, is my setup fundamentally wrong or I might just have a bad hardware? Particularly I'm not sure about the audio converter. I thought an optical audio output is an optical audio output and there's nothing more to that but I could be wrong.

Thanks!

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Most cheap digital to audio converters will only transcode PCM. It costs much more to convert Dolby Digital to analog like this GefenTV Digital Audio Decoder. Anyways to properly use your converter on the Revue, you'll need to set GTV Settings > Picture & sound > Optical audio output > PCM. This will configure the audio output from Google TV to be encoded as a compatible format for your audio converter.

• Like Like x 2
  3. simollie

simollie New Member

Yes the sound setting fixed it. I thought I checked that section but I must have been blind. Thanks a LOT!

• Like Like x 2
  4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help.