Quantcast

Help me decide?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by eochs, Nov 12, 2011.

1. eochs

eochs New Member

I bought my revue 28 days ago based on the upcoming HC update. I don't care so much about web browsing, just wanted a decent way to stream video to my bedroom tv. As the update is still hopefully a few weeks away, it will now come outside my return period. I'm thinking of returning for an apple tv, which with AirPlay mirroring from my iPad 2 and 4s will take care of web and most video anyways. The recent announcements about Logitech have me concerned basically. Yes, the android market will give me lots of ways to add functionality in the future, but the lack of future updates for the os is disturbing. With apple tv I could also jailbreak and stream over smb/afp protocol from my nas box. So confused, what would you do?

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It honestly sounds like you've already done your research and made up your mind. You don't need us to convice you otherwise. If you still think your confused, how listing the reasons why you want to keep the Revue.

3. MStrawder

MStrawder New Member

In truth, while Logitech has said they aren't making more Revues or even a newer box, it doesn't mean they won't continue to support the software. As others have mentioned, they're in the peripherals game primarily. From a business standpoint, it makes sense to support the software to allow it to use more of your addons. Whether they do or not is questionable though. I've been running the leaked version for a while now and I'd stay with that if it weren't for a few bugs that really bring the experience down. Can't make the decision for you, but for me, the Revue is going to be a key piece of hardware in me cutting the cord.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

For me personally - I had been contemplating buying the Logitech Revue webcam. But now that I know the Revue has been discontinued - I'd rather just put-off that purchase and invest in the next generation of new GTV hardware when it comes out next year.

I don't feel comfortable in spending the money for an expensive webcam - knowing that if the box itself 'poops out' - that would mean extra money on a peripheral that I don't need.

Also if Logitech stops updating the box (seems likely to me) -I'd rather just spend the money on the new next generation of supported hardware. IMO I can't see people lining up in droves to purchase the Revue peripherals - knowing that the box itself is discontinued.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  5. MStrawder

MStrawder New Member

I understand your concern. I think though that Logitech would be foolish to keep their peripherals on lockdown for the Revue. Locking the webcam in for the Revue made sense being that you had to also buy the Revue. More money up front. Removing themselves from the box manufacturing game means they're free to develop peripherals that would function universally. However by continuing to support the Revue at least at the software level means that they can continue to add new peripherals and functionality.

6. TomTheMan

TomTheMan New Member

I don't think the googletv has lived up to the hype. I think It will if you want to wait for it to reach its full potential. If your willing to wait, I think it will prove to be the best decision.