Quantcast

HELP from newbie in Idaho

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by Gingerkty59, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Gingerkty59

Gingerkty59 New Member

The only time that I have been on here before was in May of 2014, and I received a really good answer and one that was written on a level that I could understand! I have a Google TV with a Revue set box that I purchased in September of 2011. As far as I know, I have received all of the updates since that time, but I don't know how to give you any more information on my system.

About a week ago, I began to notice that every URL I typed in my browser ended up at google.com. Even when I hit google.com to start searching right away, it ended up at the site google.com, and I had to reclick on google before the blank box would sho up that you can type your search title in.

The only way that I have been able to get around this is to use a bookmark. If I have a bookmark for Amazon, it will go directly to Amazon without being first rerouted to google.com

From my research, I feel like I have the Redirect Virus/Malware. However, in the many articles that I have read on how to get rid of it, they have been so very technical that they are way over my head. I would really appreciate any help or suggestions that people might feel would work.

Thank you very much!

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

There are three things that you can try. I will list them from easiest to most burdensome. So try the first option on the list first and if it doesn't work then go on to number 2. If number 2 doesn't work then go on to number 3. Keep in mind with options number 2 & 3 you will lose your GTV bookmarks unless you have them synced to your Google account. Even at that - the last time I did a factory reset the bookmark sync didn't work and I ended up losing all of my GTV bookmarks. So it's a good idea to have your GTV bookmarks backed up someplace else. I use the free symbaloo bookmark service to back-up my GTV bookmarks.

1) try rebooting

2) go to your system settings and then "manage applications" - from there force stop and clear data from the Chrome app.

3) full factory reset (you hold down the button on back for approx. 30 to 40 seconds).

3. Gingerkty59

Gingerkty59 New Member

Thank you so much for your quick response. I did try step one, and last night, I unplugged everything for about 3-5 minutes. Neither of these helped.

I went to the Step 2. I did the "Force Stop" and received a message that said this my cause it to misbehave. Everything was then grayed out, so I could not clear the data from the Chrome App. I also can't go back and undo the Force Stop because it is all grayed out.

I'm going to try the factory reset next. Thank you so much for the website to provide a program to save my bookmarks. Last time I did a factory reset, it was so frustrating to try and rebuild the bookmarks back in.

Thank you so very much for your quick response and help. I have been very worried about what this thing might be doing to my Google TV, and none of the articles on how to "fix" it were very optimistic.

4. Gingerkty59

Gingerkty59 New Member

I apologize for taking so long to get back - haven't been by the computer all day. I went over to the symbaloo website. I was stalled at the first step when it asked you to list the file name. My machine said "selecting files not supported". I had no idea of how to put my bookmarks into a file either. I have written down all of the bookmarks, so I guess I will just do the factory reset. I am having larger and larger pop-ups that don't go away, the system is frequently crashing, and just almost totally unusable.

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Instead of transferring files over to Symbaloo - I just add my Symbaloo bookmarks manually (one at a time). It's pretty easy to do - there should be instructions for doing this on the Symbaloo web site.

6. Gingerkty59

Gingerkty59 New Member

Thank you CatfishRivers for all of your help. I really appreciated the Symbaloo advice. I did a factory reset this morning, but the redirection problem is still there. Thank you so much for your help!