Quantcast

Help! Chrome won't start.

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by jschall, Feb 18, 2015.

1. jschall

jschall Member

SONY NSZ-GS7. When I try to start Chrome, I just get the blue spinner, no start page.

Internet is connected, Web apps like Youtube work fine.

I have tried forced stop and power-down reboot without result.

Does this require a completen factory reset, or what?

2. Travel

Travel Active Member

Probably.

I just had to throw out my GS7 that I bought in July 2013. I immediately bought another one, where I had to pay $199 because there are so few left to buy. That's how disappointing the "AndroidTV" devices are right now, I'd much rather have another GS7 even though it's no longer supported by Sony.

My problems started out similarly, with the GS7 browser not connecting and needing to do a factory reset. However, the problems became increasingly frequent over a few weeks period of time.

I'd shut the GS7 off at night, and it would come on by itself. I'd get up, and the TV would be on, with the GS7 in "TV mode" launch. Then, it'd come on by itself and there would be just the "tech screen" where you click "reboot," or scroll for a factory reset, etc. I'd reboot, and the GS7 would work normally for a while, but just repeat this same pattern the next night. Throughout all this I was getting tons of the "force close," and sometimes "force close" even in a native app.

Eventually, the GS7 would go into involuntary factory reset. I'd get up, and the GS7 would be at the beginning of the factory reset process (doing so, all by itself). After having to do an involuntary factory rest every day for a few days, I ordered the new box.

Haven't had any problems at all with the new GS7 (actually, it's a GS8).

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Did you also try clearing data from the Chrome app along with the force stop? That is the other thing that you could try before doing the full factory reset. Keep in mind if you clear data from the Chrome app you will likely lose your bookmarks. So it's a good idea to have your bookmarks backed up someplace else - for instance I have my GTV bookmarks over on the Symbaloo bookmark service.

Also I want to mention that several weeks ago when I did a full factory reset on my Logitech Revue - my GTV bookmarks were no longer syncing with my Google account (like they always have in the past). In other words all my bookmarks were unexpectedly lost - whereas previously I was able to retrieve my bookmarks by syncing my GTV bookmarks to my Google account. So I don't know if that was just some glitch that happened with my Revue - or if there is now some issue where GTV bookmarks no longer sync to the Google accounts.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  4. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

btw, here’s one more reset option to try before performing factory reset

“Reset" Sony-box (hardware "reset", not a factory reset)

5. jschall

jschall Member

Clearing Chrome data didn't do anything, nor did a complete reboot. The Chrome app is only reporting 4kB size, so it's a corrupted file. Is there any way of side-loading just the Chrome apk? Or re-installing the last upgrade without doing a complete factory reset?

6. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

just curios, what you mean complete reboot? did you try hardware "reset" from "service menu"?

7. jschall

jschall Member

Yes, @revue5, the "reset" from the Service Menu does not restore the Chrome executable. In Settings/Manage Applications, all that is left is the app data, no storage reported for the app itself.

Alternative browsers from the Google TV Play store, like Lightning+, work fine, and can be set as the default browser rather than Google Chrome. That's why I am asking if the Google Chrome app can be sideloaded?

8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

A non Google TV version of Google Chrome can not be side loaded, at least not sideloaded and actually work. GTV Chrome is part of the operating system. Restore the proper version is going to be the fix if there is one and a complete delete and restore to factory settings is the way I would proceed. I am sure you are already considering doing without Chrome and using a different browser and hope the issue corrects itself eventually, that might work given time.

9. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I have the Logitech Revue and there have been issues in the past with Revue owners where certain apps became "greyed out" in the settings menu and non-functional. Although I have not heard about it happening with Chrome - however it seems to me that this is related to your kind of situation now. Over on the Logitech Forums Logitech reps blamed the problem on Google and in turn Google blamed the problem on the OEMS (Logitech). For my own personal situation a factory reset always fixed the problem.

I suspect either your hardware is going bad or this is some kind of 'syncing' issue. Some things that could be worth a try: 1) When you do the factory reset and it asks you if you want to sync your device with Google say "NO". Don't have anything at all synced to your device or Google account when you do the set-up. 2) Try resetting your router. Also if you're on WiFi try ethernet and vice-versa. In the past there have been many instances of Apps such as Netflix not working - while Chrome browser still worked. (So your situation seems to be the reverse of that). The fix for that particular issue was always related to the router in some way not behaving nicely with GTV.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  10. jschall

jschall Member

A factory reset restored Chrome, thank you for your encouragement. It only took about 30 minutes, but now I have to re-install tons of sideloaded apks, which I have stored on my Dropbox.