Quantcast

Help...cannot get set top box (comcast) to be the DEFAULT "connected device"

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by bobby, Mar 17, 2011.

1. bobby

bobby New Member

Sony TV (w/Google TV) went in fine, talks to wifi and it has two HDMI inputs:
    1. Comcast set top box
    2. DVD player
    I hooked the comcast box to HDMI 1 and the dvd to HDMI 4. However, whenever I turn on the unit via remote it defaults to HDMI 4. Cannot get HDMI 1 to be recognised. When I toggle using "input" to HDMI 1 it ignores it and goes to HDMI 4. The only way I can get HDMI 1 (thus the tv) recognised is if I unplug the HDMI plug from HDMI 4. Can it be this set with 4 HDMI inputs can only handle one? I have tried disconnecting both "connected devices" and reconfig'ed but I am still in the same place. Anyone else experience this?

2. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

3. bobby

bobby New Member

The Sony support sites are pretty inpenetrable and sometimes the answers given don't even match the unit that is having issues. That is why I came to this forum. Sony alludes to the set top box or dvd being the culprit but the set top box works great when the dvd HDMI is unplugged and the dvd works great whether you want it to work or whether you want the tv to work so I think the HDTV is either faulty or sony really CAN'T handle more than one HDMI input gracefully. I finally unplugged the dvd HDMI and I am now using video component plugs for the dvd and it works fine. If the set can only handle one HDMI input what good are 4 HDMI plugs?

4. blaws

blaws New Member

I had the same issue Bobby. Sony support suggested this was because the TV was initially set up in "Demo" mode instead of "Home" mode when I first plugged it in and turned it on out of the box. I was convinced that was not the case, as I distinctly remember selecting "Home" mode. However, I went ahead and did a factory reset just to be sure, focused on making sure "Home" mode was selected during initial configuration, and the issue was completely resolved. I can now select what input I want as the default device in the settings menu "Video Input" > "Configured Devices" > ...pick your device... > "Make default TV device". The factory reset is done from the settings menu "About" > "Factory data reset". I still believe I set it to "Home" on initial setup, and wonder if there could be a bug. If this doesn't work the first time, I would try it again to be sure. Hope this helps resolve your issue. :)

5. bobby

bobby New Member

I "system reset" it twice:
    1. With the dvd and set top box both plugged in HDMI 4,1 respectably)
    2. Only the set top box (HDMI 1)
    In both cases "Video Inputs" the Make Default TV Device was greyed out for the set top device...in both cases the Tv defaulted to HDMI 4. And "Home" is the default setting.:mad: