Quantcast

Hello From 29464

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by VizioBitPlayer, Nov 26, 2012.

1. VizioBitPlayer

VizioBitPlayer New Member

That's Mt. Pleasant, SC. I get to drive the awesome Ravenel bridge (taut line suspension, I think they call it) past Charleston to I-26 to go to work. I should be retired by now but "I don' wanna", I like the work and the money's not ready.

My handle is a reference to two different concepts, in addition to the fact that my GTV is a Co-Star (also unfortunate pun risk IMO). Will break the handle down if asked, but I think most people will get it.

I am now just a few weeks into my experience with streaming STBs. My wife wanted to do this in the bedroom, on the smallish Vizio we have in there. I suggested she look for a deal on "I don't know what they call it exactly, Roku makes one" and she went straight to the Roku, got 15% off the one with HD and Angry Birds, whichever that one is (you see I have the Teflon brain on some things).

I soon found that if we wanted much in the way of free content, I would have to work through weird hoops like setting up a Plex server on my tower PC. I got that working, but it's still weird. I broke down and subscribed to Hulu Plus, only to find they don't have the full season on some networks, and no CBS at all. And as some of you know the Roku, like Charlie, "doesn't surf".

So to get a semblance of true internet access, we got the Co-Star from Amazon. Fortunately the little Vizio TV has 2 HDMI ports and I can tell you, it is good to have both because the two STBs are good at different things.

My big "get help" motivator right now is a bug in the Co-Star and I want to get to the bottom of whether it's a firmware bug, an obscure setting, or a hardware problem and I should swap it out under warranty. It seems to have no problem downloading apps from the Play Store which are usually several MB, and when like another poster I clicked on Google Drive and was prompted to update Chrome, I got two copies of the 39-MB Chrome i386 package in Downloads before I looked there. So, no basic hardware problem downloading at least 39 MB. The bug is, when I download an attachment from Gmail, only the first 58.08 kB is stored in Downloads. Whatever else I say about this, that's the lead indicator, my Gmail will only download the first 58.08k. I first encountered this trying to, on Wisdom's good advice, download 4-MB dropbox.apk from Gmail. Then I tried an 8-MB mp3 of my stepdaughter singing a Patti Smith song: The stored result has the right filename but only (and exactly) 58.08 kB.

When I chimed in with the OP about Google prompting for a Chrome update when you click on Drive, and mentioned the Gmail download problem, someone suggested I try again with dropbox 2.2. That may be a new and improved version, however it is also almost 4 MB, and Gmail only downloaded exactly 58.08 kB.

Then I did an OP on this. One of Wisdom's comments was maybe I uploaded a corrupted dropbox.apk. Thanks but I am inclined to doubt that, as I get the same result with the v2.2 dropbox apk and the mp3 file.

Vizio tech support does a basic checkout including ensuring that background downloading is enabled -- which it was on mine -- then hands me off to "chrome support" at another number, where the guy assumes you are in a Wintel environment with IE and tries to set up a remote support session using a tool that can't work in Chrome-on-Android?

1. If I take this up with Google somehow, what version of Chrome do I tell them I am using?

2. Could it be that downloading a 4-MB attachment from Gmail is something you could do before the v3.2 firmware, but now you can't? Would someone else with current firmware tell me if they can still download substantial Gmail attachments into Co-Star?

Another point of interest, I called Vizio to try again on that "Chrome support" number. I got this woman with a limited working knowledge of files and storage. I had to argue with her for half an hour over whether it is even possible to download a 4-MB attachment from Gmail. The mention of dropbox and side-loading, which she checked with someone else, had her bringing me instruction that I should copy side-loads to the Co-Star from a USB flash drive (well OK, maybe later or maybe not). Eventually I pressed for that "Chrome support" number and got 888-399-9656. I searched that and it isn't Google, it's some 3rd-party service, haven't called yet, it smells fishy.

Back to the general-type stuff you would expect in an intro: We have never had cable or dish except a brief free trial in 1983. Wife bristles at paying anything per month for TV, so paying for FilmOn, NetFlix etc will be uphill despite the comparison to cable bills. I have 3 OTA DVRs stacked under the living-room TV, the oldest is a pre-HD Panasonic fed by a converter. None of them is a Tivo, maybe later. The bedroom setup also has an early-HD, 2007 I think Samsung DVD DVR, watch that thru the AV connection because its HDMI output has weird video. As it receives OTA only, I am not sure there is any benefit to passing its HDMI thru Co-Star. Then there's the Roku and Co-Star, linked to the Internets by my (not that old) type H combo DSL modem and wi-fi router about 25 feet distant. On signal Roku says excellent, Co-Star says fair (??), apparently Co-Star's bandwidth varies 2 to 5 MB/s which I know is not very good, but it seems to be enough. Will probably go to AT&T store, buy type N modem/router soon.

Oh BTW, hi! :)

-- VizioBitPlayer

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You can find out your full GTV Chrome browser information (user agent) by visiting the following web site:

Whats My User Agent?

All GTV devices are currently on a modified version of Chrome 11.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  3. VizioBitPlayer

VizioBitPlayer New Member

Thanks, that's a good puzzle piece.