Quantcast

hdtv lag. help :(

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by j0371, Dec 10, 2010.

1. j0371

j0371 New Member

i just bought a new sony google tv and when i try to play my xbox it has a split sec. lag. ex. when i jump it takes a split sec. to jump on the screen. can anyone help me with this

2. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Administrator Staff Member

My Samsung TV has this problem too by default. However, there is a "Game Mode" in the TV. If you put it into game mode the TV should be much more responsive. See if the Sony has something similar.

3. j0371

j0371 New Member

nope.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  4. samuraicop

samuraicop New Member

I'm having the same problem, my controller seems to lag just a bit right after enter an input. There is no game mode for this tv. I don't know how to fix this. Tried both hdmi and rgb. I've heard using a VGA imput can fix this but there is not one on this tv. :(

5. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

This has already been discussed...it is a problem with the OS which will hopefully be resolved.

6. devinsmith613

devinsmith613 New Member

so as of now we spent 1000 just so we can have crap quality compared to my 32 inch lcd? yay.

honestly im useing mine now. i love it and all, but my games are what i really want to enjoy with my tv, and i simply cannot do that with this one

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  7. davidortenzio

davidortenzio New Member

does anyone know what the timeframe is for getting this problem fixed? and does anyone actually know whether or not they are even working on it?

8. samuraicop

samuraicop New Member

I've been told by Sony tech support that they are aware of this problem and are supposedly going to add a game mode. I hope that it won't look to terrible like it does on some of the other TVs game modes.

9. adam011

adam011 New Member

Same thing happened to me. Its too bad because the tv looks amazing, its just unplayable at the moment.
    Anyone got an eta on when this'll happen?

10. Adriaens32

Adriaens32 New Member

i hope whatever it is, they fix it. i love the setup and picture and i as well would like to enjoy my video games. atleast i found the post and i know im not just crazy now :p so will the soluton be via update or via through buying a new set up?

11. StevenB

StevenB New Member

Taking to account an interview with Google, saying getting a Google tv now and getting one 3 years from now will have the same version OS, it is safe to assume if/when game mode is implemented, it will be available via update.

About the lag, I've tried using component(red, green, blue video cables) and hdmi. Right off, it seems using component with the 360 is not as delayed as hdmi. Googling, I found that you can set the picture settings to custom for that input and that'd help too. I still have a delay, but I can tolerate it.

12. bcarlso3

bcarlso3 New Member

I'm very surprised to find such a huge glaring drawback to the Sony Internet Google TV. The fact that there is no solution to the lag between gaming systems and the Sony Google Internet TV is unacceptable. Gaming systems are one of the main reasons people buy new tvs. Even after I found out that my Wii is virtually un-playable due to the incredible lag, I found it very hard to find any information about this problem. I would have been much happier sticking with my old CRT tv and saving $1000, until the Sony Google Internet TV technology becomes advanced enough to handle a simple connection to a gaming system like my Wii console.

13. StevenB

StevenB New Member

So I don't know what cables you are using to connect your wii to the tv, but I'm going to guess its the cables that came in the box (composite - yellow video, stereo red and white cables). Assuming that, Amazon.com: Wii HD Component Cable: Video Games is a link to a set of component (RGB video cables, stereo red and white cables) cables for the Wii. HDTV's typical native resolutions are either 720p or 1080p. If you are using composite, that's probably 240p-420p. If you go component or HDMI (I don't know if Wii can use HDMI cables), Your Wii will be aloud to output 720p and maybe even 1080p. The closer you are to the native resolution of the tv, the less the tv has to do to put the image on the screen, thus less lag. That applies to any HDTV, not just the Sony GTV.

I will have to disagree with you on one of of the main reasons is for gaming systems. Up until just recently, I've been selling tv's at Best Buy for years. Unfortunately, gaming systems have not seemed to even be a main reason. In fact, it seemed that out of every 20 HDTV's I sold, only 1 may have had a gaming system originally hooked up to it. The thing is, this tv's original target market probably wasn't for the gamer. Its probably more advertised for people that surf the internet while watching tv, or watch episodes online.

I got this TV just a week or so ago. While I have been on the edge about returning it just because of the gaming lag issue, I have decided to keep it. Why? Sure, I could go get a 32" Samsung or LG LED TV and be much happier right now! However, the internet experience that are provided on those tv's wouldn't compare to this one. This TV is supported by Google. The TV has been out in the market for probably a little less or around 3 months and has had 2 updates already. As time goes on, more and more updates will come, one of which will have a game mode fix. Also as time goes on, more and more companies will be on board with Google TV. Visio has already joined! I'm sure Samsung and LG will be coming on board soon too.

That being said, what do you think is going to happen to the internet connectivity software on a tv from those companies? It'll become unsupported once they start doing GTV. So sure, it kinda sucks right now, but in the long run, I think we are all better off. This TV can last the rest of our lives ya know lol. LED's last a long time and we are pretty much at a point where the quality of the picture has reached the limit of what our eye can see!

14. rob2d

rob2d New Member

*sigh*

I've had this TV since it came out and it still doesn't support Game Mode. It's really depressing; I was expecting a fix by now. Can anyone take note and fix this please? I feel like I threw out over a thousand dollars on this TV. The only reason I still have it is because I don't have cable and the internet is handy on it, other than that it is virtually unusable for gaming!

15. rob2d

rob2d New Member

(I have a 360 by the way)

16. StevenB

StevenB New Member

Same here with the 360. It really does disappoint me when I play games on it. SINCE I HAVE TO, I can deal with the lag on non-timing based games. In the following game series, Call of Duty, Fallout, and Assassin's Creed, it is still playable on the TV. Of course any RPG's that have no timing involved also would work. Since my last post on this topic, I have bought an xbox 360 adapter to play on my 19" 3:4(Fullscreen) monitor. When I am not in bed at nighttime playing or watching something on the 360, it is on the monitor. It is terrible that I have a 32" LED-LCD TV sitting there while I play on a 19" monitor.. I'm still hoping for a game mode.

As for returning it, obviously it is too late for either of us rob2d. Sure, Best Buy has the buyback program. For a couple more months, I will still fall under the 6 months or less category, meaning I would get 50% back. That's around $450 for me. Honestly though, if this TV wasn't used for gaming, do you think you and I would have such hard feelings towards it? I am annoyed that more channels' websites are blocking their content from being viewed on GTV's, but that is not the TV's fault, nor GTV. That is a whole 'nother discussion though heh. Point is, it would be better to buy another TV than return this one. Not including my monitor or laptop, I have one HD capable TV and two tube TV's. If I do get another HDTV, I can replace the tube that is still being used with the GTV!

Also.. new version OS should be rolling around sometime. Just maybe... game mode will be in there. I'm always hopeful lol

17. rob2d

rob2d New Member

Yeah.. unfortunately I have a 46 inch and I primarily playr fighting games, which is absolutely horrible(especially online) -_- Besides that I bought it from NewEgg so returning it isnt really an option now.
    I spoke with Sony's tech support and was told they're not going to release a fix so its not looking too hopeful. They say "The circuitry is too advanced" and it is "normal operation" lol. I was also told that it was the OS and not the hardwawre, which together are completely contradictory. I told them if I wanted to browse the internet alone I would have kept my laptop.

At the moment I'm looking to just get a VGA adapter to use with my 22 inch monitor. ah well.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  18. rob2d

rob2d New Member

By the way Steve, have you tried it with an HDMI output? I was considering that it could be an upscaling issue from component video but I couldn't find any information online or get any from Sony's Tech support on that possibility.

19. StevenB

StevenB New Member

Rob,
    Firstly, Sony's tech support told me they couldn't release any information about fixing or not fixing, including the actual contrast ratio of the TV. Basically, if the public can't know about it yet, they can't tell us. Honestly, that makes sense, since Sony is departmentalized like any big corporation. You have teams working on GoogleTV, while you have just as many teams working on other TV's. That also doesn't include all the people working for any gaming device Sony produces or will produce!

The thing is Rob, what the tech support person told you may or may not be the truth. Not that he/she lied to you, its just maybe the person doesn't know and made an educated guess. It is true there is advanced circuitry. It is true that, since they know about the issue, it is "normal operation" ha. As a software engineer, I can not say either way if it is just the OS or the hardware, but considering the fact the techy said such a thing, it clearly shows he/she doesn't exactly know.

Here is a fact about any form of display: Each display has a native resolution. The closer the input signal is to the native resolution, the less the display has to do. Component I had originally thought could only handle 720p, but considering 1080p works on the 360 through component, I guess I'm wrong. Of course HDMI can do 1080p, so now the issue becomes which one is faster.

I know for sure both HDMI and Component will lag. Months ago, I was doing some lag tests using rockband 2 and switching between HDMI and Component. I didn't finish testing because my xbox died. I got a new one that night and decided that component may be a little faster. The thing is, I may be thinking it was faster just because of what I heard online or on this site(you know, seeing what you want to see?).

What I do know is the lag is around 150ms, in both audio and video, on both forms of cables. It is clearly a signal delay issue, not just video, though if you mess with some of the video settings, it could increase or decrease the lag, but not by any significant amount it seems. Sony has "advanced signal processing," which could be the root cause of the whole thing. I thought past Sony TV's had a game mode of some kind, though maybe not calling it that. The thing is, from what I know about signal amplification and the like, Sony could be doing their "advanced signal processing" using software, hardware, or a mixture of both. Hardware is more expensive than software, but would probably be faster. Since it does not seem like Sony cares about fastness, just money, MY MONEY is that the processing is being done via software. That being the case, it really shouldn't be hard to implement a workaround to skip the processing if a "game mode" was enabled.

DISCLAIMER: What I have said in this reply is based off of what observations I have made, as well as my knowledge as a soon-to-be graduated software engineer. Just remember that me saying it is only software is, at the end of the day, just my opinion. Also, if I could, I would totally work for Sony just to fix this issue.. as well as to find out what the true contrast ratio of our TV is haha.

20. Adriaens32

Adriaens32 New Member

I know there was a recent update, and everytime there is, i get excited; hoping that sony will impress me and by miracle fix this silly problem. But no, it has been about 9 months and still no direct attention as been reported. Steve, you have a good point..so i think you should start applying NOW for you can be our GoogleTV hero. As far as still playing with the lag, i have got used to it somewhat and still PWN. But like us all, we would PWN 10x harder without.

Sony, your ruining my online reputation.