Quantcast

HDMI Switch?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by crpeck, May 16, 2011.

1. crpeck

crpeck New Member

My Revue is coming today! I have a few boxes connected to my TV now, a Cox Moto Receiver, a TivoHD and an Xbox 360. Is it possible to connect the Logitech Revue to the output from the HDMI Switcher I have and use it to control what I'm viewing with it? In other words, I would connect all the other devices to the switcher, connect the HDMI out from my switcher (which has a remote on it) to the Revue, and, then connect the Revue to the TV. Then use the Revue remote to control the inputs and all.
    Many thanks in advance...

2. galfert

galfert Active Member

It might work. But I'm not sure how useful it will be. You won't be able to configure the Revue to control more than one set top box is why I say this. Also for example what is the point of feeding the Xbox 360 through the Revue? Other than playing a game in PIP while you surf the web????...that just doesn't seem like something you need to be able to do. So I would just put the Revue between one of your set top boxes and the HDMI switch.

3. crpeck

crpeck New Member

Ga feet, that makes sense. I was hoping to configure both the TiVo and Cox box,but since that's not possible, why bother.
    Thanks for the info.

4. scurr

scurr New Member

I sadly have an old receiver that only has SPDIF coax or optical in for 5.1 audio...thanks the using a 3 port switch... all my audio is now 5.1...even my xbox :)
    the HDMI gets converted to optical out!! and HDMI to the TV... rather sweeet.

5. pakal

pakal New Member

So you're saying that a standard receiver will work with the Revue if connected through am hdmi switch?

6. scurr

scurr New Member

revue has 2 ways of outputting audio
    HDMI and Optical

these are constantly outputting audio. The HDMI output of course carries the video stream and the audio stream, while the optical output is only audio.

so as long as your receiver can take optical audio.. you are set.

as for an HDMI switch in the original post -- this is helpful only if you have one HDMI stream going to your TV/receiver etc and need to be able to intelligent switch, changing feeds to the target based upon what you most recently turned on...if that makes sense.

for example. turn on XBOX 360 - HDMI Switch automatically senses this, and changes the feed to its output. Turn on logitech revue after the xbox? it will switch to the revue. the kicker is that if you forgot to turn off the xbox you now have to manually (with a remote if you are lucky) switch back to the xbox... hope this helps!

7. pakal

pakal New Member

Thanks for your reply. I am actually trying to figure out how to connect my standard Directv receiver to the Revue. The receiver only has AV connection (the red/white/yellow cables) . So I am thinking of using a converter box between the receiver and the revue. I found one on ebay for approx 50$ that has an AV in and HDMI out. I guess if I just set the Revue to Generic TV source it may be able to get the signal from the converter box. Most probably I will not be able to use the search functions for the programming guide of the receiver , but at least I should be able to use the PIP function of the revue.
    P_

Edit : I was able to accomplish the task and opened a new thread , sorry cannot post link yet.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  8. bukzin

bukzin New Member

Pakal,

Which converter box did you buy? Also, which forum/thread did you continue this in?

Thanks!

9. bukzin

bukzin New Member

Like others I have several boxes in my home system.

HD Tivo box
    Yamaha Media Controller (YMC-700)
    Series 2 Tivo (with HDMI ouput)
    old DVD player

I have seen comments regarding HDMI switchers/splitters. What are most of you doing along these lines?

Where should the Revue be in the chain?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The typical setup should be: Set-Top Box (STB) > Logitech Revue > Audio Video Receiver (AVR) > TeleVision (TV)

And technically the STB and AVR are optional.

11. pakal

pakal New Member

12. bukzin

bukzin New Member

So you are saying STB>Revue>HDMI switch along with the other devices also being feed into the 3 port HDMI switch>TV ?

Any benefit of the HDFury3 over a cheap Monoprice HDMI switch?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So I would just put the Revue between one of your set top boxes and the HDMI switch.[/QUOTE]

13. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The HDFury 3 is a Component/VGA to HDMI converter not an HDMI switch. You would use them on devices which don't have an HDMI output jack. Pakal is referring to the Monoprice Composite and S-Video to HDMI Converter which allows him to connect an standard definition DirecTV box to the revue. I don't believe he bought a HDMI switch, since it seems he just needed to connect his HDMI-less set-top box to his Logitech Revue.

If your television already has multiple HDMI inputs then there's no need to buy a HDMI switch. An HDMI switch is used when there's a limited amount of HDMI inputs. It allows you to connect more than one HDMI device into a single HDMI input. As far as the Revue goes, it doesn't matter if you place the switch between the Revue and the television or the set-top boxes and the Revue.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  14. bukzin

bukzin New Member

Just re-checked my gear. I have a Panasonic plasma # TH-50PX50U mfg. date of Nov. 2005.
    It has one HDMI input along with component, composite and S video inputs.
    It also has a CableCARD connector and optical digital out.

The set supports 720p and 1080i.

I got the Yamaha YMC700 Media Controller because it has 3 HDMI inputs and other inputs as well.
    I set it up to kinda serve as a 'switcher' so DirecTV, DVD, rooftop antenna, etc could all go here first
    then output via HDMI to Revue.
    Not working very well this way. The keyboard remote will not longer control the TV audio (have no AVR)
    and most of its commands seem sluggish.

Any thoughts on a better set up? Maybe I should forget the Media Controller.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  15. bukzin

bukzin New Member

16. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

As for the keyboard remote, you just have to use the "Customize controller keys" control panel to change the IR output. Here's an a tutorial in how to accomplish that http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...p-other-devices-logitech-revue.html#post12396

Btw when you went through the TV source configuration wizard, which box did you setup as your Set-top box? and did you setup your television through the Revue's TV configuration wizard?

Explain the "sluggish" keyboard experience. Is it sluggish when you're interfacing with the "other" audio/video equipment or internal GTV overlays and menus?