Quantcast

HDMI Passthrough Question & Revue purchase decision

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by onlinebrad, Aug 12, 2011.

1. onlinebrad

onlinebrad New Member

One of my roadblocks on getting media to my TV is my family. I have found that no matter what I connect to the TV, if they need to change the "viewing experience" (ie. changing inputs, turning something else on) they won't use it. And given the options we have to watch on our FIOS service even I get lazy and not want to fire up the media pc or xbox. I am using Boxee now, and love the concept, but having something more integrated into the TV experience is appealing. Now that the Revue is $99, and I got a 50% coupon from Logitech for any one item. The idea of picking up a Revue for $50 is appealing.

So my question is can someone with just wants to watch tv, pickup to original FIOS remote and watch tv without dealing with the GTV interface. Then if someone else comes into the room, they could just grab the keyboard and off they go into Netflix or something else with thinking about it?

The only other thing that I can't seem to address with these devices is streaming my own media. What do others use to do this well. The Boxee interface for my personal content is great, but being on a PC is to much work for my kids to use. I know I can just make them change inputs and teach them how to use the other devices, but the revue appeals to me for the ease of use. Otherwise and Roku might be the other best choice (need to change input, but idiot proof)

Thanks,

Brad

2. dale_cooper

dale_cooper New Member

Hey Brad, I just got my revue yesterday but to answer some of your questions. If you're currently watching tv, yes you could use the standard cable remote. Basically the keyboard is just another remote, so all of your existing remotes still work. Now if you're on the main screen section of google tv or on google chrome browsing the web and someone changes the channel with the cable tv remote, I'm not sure what happens.

As far as streaming content... the stock media player interface is gross... but its very easy to stream content from your pc to the revue with a service like tversity (thats what I tried last night since I already had it with my ps3). The revue does not fill my desire for a clean looking media server though - I'll probably end up getting a boxee box or wdtv live hub.

3. DefenderBob

DefenderBob New Member

To piggy back off of Dale - yes. The Fam will still be able to use the existing remote to control the TV and will not have to switch inputs etc. I also run the boxee software at home and am looking for something a little more family friendly and also looking to cut the tv service as well.

4. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    Hey there, with my Sony 40" GTV the first thing I see when I turn on the TV is Cable/Antenna. The default is to go to a device and display what is on. I had cable for a few months with GTV then cut the cord and now use a antenna. When I hit the power on my Sony remote the TV powers on to what the antenna is receiving. From here hitting the Back, Home, Search or PIP button will get you to the GTV interface. Although this is what my Sony GTV does for me I believe the Logitech is the same, or very similar.

By the way where did you get that 50% off coupon? :)

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The only caveat is that if someone left any of the Google TV applications or screen overlays before leaving the TV then the next family member would have to pickup the RF Keyboard and press the LiveTV button in order to get back to the set-top box video output. Otherwise, yes, it would work just as seamlessly as you've described.

Incidentally, if you got that email from Logitech Marketing this week, you should read the fine print as the Revue is actually excluded from the 50% despite what the graphic portion claims. If you got that email last week, the offer was valid for the Revue; however, it is now expired. The amended exclusion was probably their sloppy attempt at avoiding further loss, since Logitech had already charged back $34M use to revalue the Revue to $99.

It's an email blast from Logitech Marketing. You get them if you sign up for the pertinent news, updates, and deals during the registration of just about any Logitech Product.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  6. onlinebrad

onlinebrad New Member

I did not read that part. Thanks for letting me know. I went back and checked that.

Thanks to the others for their feedback as well. It will help me in making my choice..