Quantcast

HDMI input

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by lkruper, Dec 19, 2011.

1. lkruper

lkruper Member

What sorts of devices can this receive? I do not have cable tv (except through Sling) or any OTA channels at the location where my google-tv blu ray player is connected. I do have a WD TV live plus with HDMI output. I also have an ACER computer with HDMI output. Would it make sense to connect either of these to the NSZ-GT1? For example, if I connected my computer which can run the Windows Sling App, could I define the input as the Dish Network which feeds my SlingPlayer so that google-tv would then search on and know about this content natively?

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You can connect practically anything with an HDMI out to the Sony Google TV Blu-Ray Player. However, proxy control of the device is limited to the IR codes which Sony has included with their platform.

It doesn't really matter either way and would be entirely up to you. Google TV is indifferent to the device that it relays the television signal from. Heck, you don't even need to connect a device into it should you desire.

I guess you could do that... or just use the Slingbxplayer for Google TV @ http://www.slingbox.com/gtv/ that way you can use the included NSG-MR1 remote to control it.

3. lkruper

lkruper Member

Thanks. I am using the Slingplayer app from the link provided in Spotlight in google tv. However google tv does not know anything about the content or that it is from my Dish account. If this installation were at home and I connected a dish box to the google tv I could identify the source and then google tv searches would find what was currently playing, correct? So what I am trying to do in defining my computer playing Sling as the hdmi input is to use this to populate google tv searches for my live TV content. Is this possible or is it possible in some other manner?

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You can use the GTV Settings > Video input > Configured Device > Add device manually without actually plugging an HDMI device into Google TV. Then you can configure the respective channel line provider information as necessary. This will influence the GTV Search results accordingly. In fact, that's what I have setup on my NSX-24GT1, so I can use the search to find out what's available through the Slingbox in the other room. The only drawback is that you will have to manually change the channel.

• Like Like x 2
  5. lkruper

lkruper Member

Thanks, I did that and entered my channel lineup. How do I view what is on this way? When I try live-tv it gives me a blank screen as if it is switching to the empty HDMI input.

PS
    I did a search and the now playing shows up. However I should not click on that source as it will try to load a non-existent input. Is there a way to see a channel lineup from this source without searching one at a time?

PSS
    I figured it out. Live TV now breaks down my now playing into categories. This is actually pretty good.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help. Incidentally, I believe you're talking about the "TV & Movies" app not "Live TV". Obviously, the Live TV app is going to be blank because there is nothing connected to it. But, at least now you can use the GTV Search or TV & Movies to find content; even if you have to manually change the channels in the Slingplayer app to tune into the content.