Quantcast

HDMI CEC Theory

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by gkamieneski, Mar 11, 2013.

1. gkamieneski

gkamieneski Member

My Vizio TV and the Co-Star both can be enabled for CEC through HDMI. In theory, does that mean that if they are connected through HDMI cables, that turning off the TV with the TV remote can also turn off the Co-Star unit at the same time? I would have to enable CEC on both units.

If this is a possibility, it would seem to me that my xfinity STB remote which is capable of shutting off the STB and TV with the one button, would also turn off the Co-Star by extension?

2. john30308

john30308 New Member

Yes, that's how CEC should work. Be sure you have up to date HDMI cables. I think you'll need v1.4???

3. Amuzeme

Amuzeme New Member

In theory, yes that's how it should work. The reality for me is that the costar has to be turned off between 5-10 seconds BEFORE the TV. If it isn't, then the costar goes into some kind of weird hibernation/sleep mode and won't respond to the remote. To turn it back on I have to unplug and plug back in the power cord.

4. gkamieneski

gkamieneski Member

Yes, when I looked up the CEC specifications for HDMI it didn't sound like On/Off was one of the controllable functionalities. All I can do is ask if anyone here has had any success with this? HDMI with CEC seems to have been certified with HDMI 1.3 but maybe HDMI 1.4 is really required.

Anyone out there doing this? thx