Quantcast

HDMI CEC Question

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by gkamieneski, Mar 13, 2013.

1. gkamieneski

gkamieneski Member

I posted in the Co-Star forum but I am hoping to reach a wider audience.

I have a Vizio Co-Star and a Vizio LED TV with HDMI CEC enabled on both. The TV has a setup utility to tell you if it sees the Co-Star and it did find it, listing it on the screen (not sure if the Co-Star has a similar test for HDMI CEC functionality?).

I was hoping to be able to turn on/off the Co-Star whenever I point the Vizio TV's IR remote at the TV and turn it off. If I could accomplish that, it doesn't seem like a great leap for the xfinity HD-STB remote to turn off all devices; HD-STB, TV and by extension the Co-Star.

I am curious to know if anyone using any of the Google TV STBs have been able to control both TV and GTV STB using HDMI CEC?

2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

Not sure exactly what yer looking for. But the GS7 has a power button for TV & Amp. The Revue has all three. If I remember correctly, I don't think the newer devices have this feature, but I can't be sure. The easiest way is to go on Amazon & check out the images of the remotes for the Pulse and NeoPrime. An even easier way is to pair the K700 w/the unifying receiver via a PC software download. The receiver software will take ya through the steps wtroubleshooting pointers. Didn't the Vizio have a master command for turning connected device off w/a long press of the power button? I can't recall as I never really got that far... Oh, I think I did try it once and the system bugged out.

Carl

3. googlethis

googlethis New Member

Yes on the Sony NSZ-GS7 I am able to turn on HDMI CEC control and when I turn my Samsung tv off or on it will also turn off or on the Sony Google TV box.

• Like Like x 2
  4. gkamieneski

gkamieneski Member

Thanks. That is the kind of info I am looking for. Utimately I want it to work so that when my Wife hits the All On button on the xfinity remote, it turns on the xfinity HD-STB, the Vizio TV and the Vizio Co-Star. Obviously it already does the first 2 things, now if I can work out the kinks for the 3rd (think I need to upgrade my HDMI cable to 1.4) it will turn on/off the Co-Star as well.

That way we both can be happy, me using the Co-Star and she watching cable without worrying about turning the Co-Star on/off manually.

5. gkamieneski

gkamieneski Member

Well, I upgraded my cables to the latest BlueRigger Category 2 cables and still CEC is a problem. I am using a Vizio TV with the Vizio Co-Star. Sometimes when I run the search on the TV it finds and names the Co-Star but most often not. Funny, when it does is considers CEC a third input option to the TV's HDMI1 and HDMI2? I have yet to be able to turn off both TV and Co-Star through CEC. Guess it wasn't the cables.

6. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Do you have an available device on the Xfinity remote? The costar should respond to IR codes even with the remote paired, in theory you could attempt to find a working code on the xfinity remote and do it that way. Everything that I have heard so far is CEC is temperamental on the costar, for some it works sometimes...for others it never works.

7. gkamieneski

gkamieneski Member

Yes, it appears the CEC functionality is problematic (even when you use a Vizio TV with the Vizio Co-Star; wish Vizio was reading this thread). I do have the AUX button available on my Xfinity remote however I tried to have it learn the IR code for the Co-Star without success and frankly I am not sure that the Co-Star doesn't shut down it's IR once paired in bluetooth.

8. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Its entirely possible, I cannot confirm or deny that at this time. I do know since the latest and greatest update I am no longer able to pair 2 remotes at the same time, and Have issues getting the second remote to work when its not paired. Oddly enough If do the rec + blue for 5 seconds on the "extra" remote it will for a short period of time, doesn't matter if I am searching for the remote to pair it to or not. Just for kicks you could try the rec + blue on the remote before attempting the IR codes it may be that combo triggers something in the co-star...i dunno I am tired and probably just grasping for straws at the moment.

9. gkamieneski

gkamieneski Member

Oddly, now if I use the Co-Star remote to turn it on, it also turns on the Vizio TV using HDMI-CEC. However, if I reverse the procedure and use the Co-Star remote to turn it off, it does turn off the Co-Star but leaves the Vizio TV on. Also, using the remote to the Vizio TV has no influence whatsoever over the Co-Star.

I cannot agree with the following statement from Vizio support, "The CoStar will only respond to the CoStar's remote because it uses Bluetooth protocols and not IR. CEC may not control all functions of the connected device, it works the same as a universal remote but uses different technology. We can't guarantee what functions will or will not work, even if all devices are VIZIO because of the different protocols."

Clearly HDMI-CEC is the operative protocol here at the least their own devices should work with each other.