Quantcast

Hdd

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by Koolone, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Koolone

Koolone New Member

can you use a external hdd as a dvr on the sony google tv I'm using cable w/o box just from turner

2. OttoZro

OttoZro New Member

wow... now that would be very cool :)

3. galfert

galfert Active Member

No you can't. Maybe when the market opens someone might be able to write and app to record to external HDD.

4. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

I thought about that this morning, that would be awesome. Can't wait for the next update.

5. galfert

galfert Active Member

I watched the Google I/O conference Questions and Answer session and the question came up about Honeycomb 3.1 is if developers were going to have access to the video input signal from the set top box. Google's answer is that initially no they won't have access to the video input, but that Google engineers are considering it and that they may implement it in the future...no promises though. What this means is that even when Honeycomb 3.1 update comes out for Google TV it will not have the necessary functionality to be able to write an app that records from the video input. So maybe we will see this in Ice Cream Sandwich. I'm not so much interested in recording as I am place-shifting like a Slingbox,...then I'll be able to get rid of my Slingbox. But this feature may not be possible with existing hardware because it may not be powerful enough.....So it may be a feature we see later on a future more powerful GTV hardware. Currently GTV only needs to pass the signal through....if you want to record it then that takes more CPU power...and I think our Atom processors are not capable.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  6. phantomandy

phantomandy New Member

I think the Atom will handle passing the stream to a HD just fine. There's no transcoding required to record the HD Transport Stream or Program Stream, just pass signal and drop the formatted .ts or .tp stream to the hard drive. However the battle over content rights in the digital domain continue to be the real issue here. I believe that Google will have their hands tied when it comes to allowing someone to write a DVR type app for the GTV platform. Content providers (read: Network TV stations, cable stations etc) don't want their content easily saved.