Quantcast

HD webcam for revue?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by polish_pat, Dec 28, 2011.

1. polish_pat

polish_pat New Member

Does the revue support other less expensive HD Webcams such as the C510 or C310?

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

No. Logitech only supports the special Revue webcam.

3. bkdg100

bkdg100 New Member

logitech is holding us all hostage with a piece of hardware they abandoned .
    when i am king , i will appoint a overlord to smite companies for not releasing all data pertinent to any product they cease to manufacture .

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

In case anyone is wondering why the Logitech TV Cam for Google TV and Skype are so expensive; its because they have a built-in processor. Logitech specifically designed these cams to be used with devices that have a low performance processor. The processors inside the cams will offload CPU utilization by performing the H.264 encoding, so that the main device does not have to use all of its resources supporting the cam itself.

Hardware acceleration isn't necessary for computers due to the robust performance of the midrange to high-performance processors. The H.264 encoding can be processed in software by the CPU without any performance issues. That's why Logitech's other webcams are so much less expensive than the TV Cam.

Incidentally, if you can still find the TVCam in a local Best Buy they should be marked down according to this post, "Re: Logitech Mini Controller is $50 at Best Buy - Logitech Forums"

• Like Like x 2
  5. Daedalus

Daedalus New Member

Does anyone know if there is any software that interfaces with the logitech TV cam other than the logitech video software? I am looking to get a tv-top camera, but not sure to get one for a bluray player (that has skype integrated), or to get the camera for the Revue. If I can use Google talk/+/Skype with the review, then I would get the logitech camera. If not, I will probably get the one for the bluray player.

All of the references for the review are old (pre-honeycomb), so I am not sure what the current status of the software is.

THanks!a

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Cameras and microphones are still listed as unsupported hardware for Google TV according to the Android developer's website (https://developers.google.com/tv/android/docs/gtv_android_features#Hardware). Google has yet to determine a standard for the video conferencing for the Google TV platform. This was discussed during the Google+ http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-development-discussion/4430-hangout-larry-yang.html.

The Logitech's video conferencing platform is technically outside of Google's support for the Google TV platform. It is a proprietary value add that Logitech had implemented for the Revue. Right now, the Logitech Revue and TV Cam will only work with ViD HD video conferencing software. As far as I know, neither Skype or any other developer has yet to contact Logitech to create an conferencing application on their platform.

7. Daedalus

Daedalus New Member

Ah, thanks...

Too bad. "Proprietary" doesn't really add value. :(

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It does if you think about out all the Sony Google TV devices which do not have this option at all. I use the Revue and TV Cam to communicate with my friends and family across the United States. And the majority of them don't even have a Revue. So, it is a value added feature that differentiates the Logitech Revue from the Sony Google TV devices. I should know, I own both.

9. Daedalus

Daedalus New Member

I can understand that, but what I am saying is that if I can find a solution that doesn't need my non-technical family/friends to install new software, and instead use something like Skype/Gooogle that comes standard on most stuff, then I am going to go for that one.

So, instead of me purchasing the logitech camera in this case, I am going to purchase another camera for a BD player. Had logitech opened it up to "standard" software, and not just their software, then I would have purchased their camera.

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That's definitely understandable. Although, don't most of your family and friends already have Logitech Webcams? All of mine do and the Vid HD software is part of the default software packages. Just saying.

I don't think you understand. Google has not standardized on any video conferencing platform for Google TV. That's why no third-party developer can use the Android SDK to create video software for any Google TV device. Google doesn't have any APIs available to support video conferencing on Google TV. And that's why Logitech saw the opportunity and created the video conferencing platform. And remember, this was a over year ago when the Revue was released and Google STILL hasn't made up their mind. And again, there's no reason a third-party developer, like Skype, couldn't approach Logitech to get support and develop software outside of the Google's Android Dalvik platform.

11. Tucana

Tucana New Member

I just registered with this forum just to say "Thank you, eferz." I had been wondering about this since I got my Revue and that exactly answers my question.