Quantcast

HBO Go gets Chromecast

Discussion in 'Google Chromecast' started by MAElias, Nov 21, 2013.

1. MAElias

MAElias New Member

Updated HBO go app this morning and it now has Chromecast.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Just a heads up - apparently there is also a new HBOGO update for their android app - and that new update breaks HBOGO app functionality with the LG GTV televisions on the Jelleybean update (previously it worked when sideloaded onto the LG GTVs with Jellybean).

https://plus.google.com/104003072778372026732/posts/9B7x8Fk21d4

Since GTV doesn't have Chromecast ability built in yet - I see these 2 developments of HBOGO being available with the Chromecast dongle - along with the new updated HBOGO android app not working with the GTVs on the Jellybean update - as a potential negative development for GTV sales - at least in the short term until GTV gets Chromecast ability. And even then - it requires a secondary device to cast the content to the TV.

I think it's fair to wonder if this is the start of a trend - that being app developers developing for Chromecast while ignoring GTV. Will HBOGO ever make a dedicated GTV app? Did HBOGO intentionally break functionality of their android app with Jellybean GTV devices?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  3. ericd

ericd Active Member

Whew, glad I saw this before updating. It's weird though, the updated app works fine on my JB tablet. Too scared to update the tv. This is one time I'm glad side-loaded apps don't update

4. ericd

ericd Active Member

Yep, the update breaks the app on my LG, had no effect on my Galaxy Tab II.

I can still browse all the videos but when I try to play them it just keeps loading and never starts. Had to un-install update and revert back to previous version

5. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

One step forward, two steps back, but at least there is some movement.

• Like Like x 2
  6. ericd

ericd Active Member

Hopefully I'm wrong, but it looks like HBO is pulling a Hulu on us. I can't figure out why any provider would single out Google Tv devices and allow every other Android device to view their content. I'm not sure if they aren't working together with various cable providers to slow down "cord cutters".

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I can't see why HBO would want to work with Google Chromecast but not Google TV unless you are right, the Chromecast isn't viewed as a device for cord cutters and Google TV is. Despite Google's attempt to design and market Google TV as a streaming media player to be used in conjunction with a traditional pay TV service, some looked at it and thought it was the best option for cord cutting, I know that is exactly what I did. The unwillingness of internet TV content providers to work with Google TV is its biggest drawback to me and caused me to add Roku and a PC to cover everything I wanted. It remains to be seen if the XBox One or PS4 will be a single box solution without similar drawbacks.

I own both Google TV and Chromecast but I don't have an HBO subscription so none of it matters to me directly as it relates to HBO.

8. Carlszone

I don't understand the connection. HBO is a subscription service. Even they gotta know that users of any app even using an etch a sketch have to sign in w/a provider. It has to be a problem on Google's end. I've recently begun using my PC a lot more. I noticed that streaming on certain sites via the GS-7 have way more problems than from my PC. At first I chalked it down to having just switched to DSL. But the differences can't be just that.

I have a Paid account w/Live News Chat Pro where I get all my news. But on certain feeds the GS-7 hiccups every few seconds. On the PC it plays smoothly. Also, the full screen doesn't render correctly on GTV. I've noticed this w/all the boxes I've tried. On my PC the full screen stretches to an HD wide screen mode. This also affects the quality of all the videos.

App incompatibility has been a problem from the start. Again we assume the developers are at fault. But Google designed this platform to showcase those very apps. W/browser problems, app incompatibility and limited media content, isn't streaming the content that remains, the one thing Google TV should excel at? What's left for this unit to do?

I much preferred watching HBO and Cinemax (and for a very short while CNN) over the internet when I could get it to work. But GTV units seem to be achieving the opposite of what it was designed for: Streaming! Early on the Revue displayed the clearer picture. Now it seems that almost any other device streams w/better resolution and a much smoother ride. We keep assuming that Hulu and others are blocking GTV devices & TVs. But that seems to me to be too much work just to exclude one platform that isn't selling very well. Google TV just isn't that big a threat or even a convenient alternative for cord-cutters. Especially when anyone can hookup a PC w/a remote via HDMI.

Hmm...

Maybe Google is limiting the media content?

Something's weird here...

Carl

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  9. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't know why HBO hasn't embraced Google TV but has embraced Roku and Google Chromecast. The only thing I do know, is that it is their business and their decision to operate their business however they choose. I also don't know why other internet TV content providers shun Google TV, maybe at some point a reason will be given. Hulu has had three years to offer a Google TV Hulu Plus app and still there is a message claiming the company is working on offering Hulu plus when I access the Hulu site with Google TV.

10. Carlszone

Chris, I believe Hulu

I'm just skeptical about our host. No conspiracy theories here. Just that something don't smell right. The Amazon app took so long to get to GTV I was in SD overload by the time it arrived. Now a new and improved Netflix app is being rolled out. I didn't see Google TV on the list of streaming devices mentioned altho they did say all devices. The Youtube in Chrome glitch reminds me of the lockout of MSNTV 2 in Windows Live. In both cases these were the hosts own sites! I don't buy that this is some Chrome snafu. Google engineers are too good for that.

Then there was the Gmail problems. Again their own site. I went there once to set it up. As soon as I saw the prompt to upgrade my browser, I backed out and hightailed it back to Outlook mail. When I went back to upload something using Gmail, the dang page failed to load. W/MSN I understood that under Ballmer each division was treated as a separate and competing entity. So Win Live was actually for all intents & purposes working counter-productively against the MSNTV 2 platform. But Google boasts about the seamlessly integrated unity between its divisions. So fragmentation between the various devices is understandable. But inconsistency between GTV and Google sites is beyond my ken. But it might explain why GTV is lagging in other areas.

Lol! It reminded me of two boxers I watched fight recently. Cintron & whoever. Each one would throw a few punches and then grab and wrestle until the ref broke it up. What was interesting was that each boxer made it look like the other was initiating the clinch. But it became obvious that both boxers feared fighting on the inside. Google appears to be doing the same thing w/their sites, the content providers and their own damn apps! It is yet to be seen what cures the upgrade to da Jelly Bean will bring. But one thing is for sure, GTV can't improve if Google continues to handicap it.

I'm not saying the above is deliberate, but it might be convenient...

Carl

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  11. ETPhoneHomeT

ETPhoneHomeT New Member

Is it just me or is the picture quality on HBO Go on Chromecast less than stellar? On my TV, the picture and motions are not very smooth or fluid. Kind of jittery. Low frame rate perhaps?