Quantcast

HBO GO freezing routinely once or twice an hour

Discussion in 'Google Chromecast' started by AdventDude, Jan 9, 2014.

1. AdventDude

AdventDude New Member

Greetings,

I have a fairly new Chromecast and have mostly been watching HBO GO (via iPad app control) with it so far. The very first time I watched an hour-long show, everything worked fine, but every time since then the show will freeze and get completely stuck. On one occasion, it seemed to buffer again and restart automatically, but at least four of five other times it was completely frozen and the only way to get it unstuck was to scroll through the time bar on the iPad app. My Internet connection is fast and consistent and I haven't experienced other problems like this in any other context.

I'd almost have to think this relates to a known issue, but can't seem to find documentation anywhere. Does anyone know why this might be happening and how to fix it (or if it's something being addressed in a future software/firmware update)?

Thanks a lot and take care,

Alan

2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

^
    Hi,
    I have no issue here streaming HBO Go via iOS/android devices. if your Internet connection is fast and consistent, check your WiFi signal strength (displayed on CC home screen). You may need to change WiFi channel on your router to channel 6 or 11.

3. AdventDude

AdventDude New Member

Hi,

I appreciate the feedback. My Internet is fast and consistent, and my WiFi connection to the ChromeCast seems very solid as well (average signal strength in the 38-39 dB vicinity on channel 11). My concern, however, is that something freezes the ChromeCast and it seems to get stuck indefinitely in buffering mode, but a quick nudge of the time-bar slider in the HBO GO app gets it going again. Even if there was a momentary glitch in the bandwidth, shouldn't the ChromeCast be able to recover automatically? I haven't seen the same problem with Netflix or YouTube (yet), but haven't spent as much time watching those--as both are available natively on the TV itself.

Take care and thanks again,

Alan

4. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

maybe authentication issue?? Anyway, you can try this boring stuff :)
    uninstall the app > turn off iPad > factory reset CC > turn off TV > unplug TV power > unplug CC power > unplug CC from TV > waite 10 min > re-plug all back & power up > turn iPad on > setup CC > re-install app > try it ...
    if it happened again, pause vid for a while then resume & see if that helps.

also, for general test, run this Netflix Example short vid (several times, 3min each) & check birate.

5. AdventDude

AdventDude New Member

Hi,

Thanks again. Not sure I'm ready to go through that extreme reinstallation process, but the test video is showing 5800 kbps/1920x1080/1:1. It took a few seconds to ramp up, but has been remaining at these values consistently for about five minutes now. (I'd assume these are good readings.)

Take care,

Alan