Quantcast

HBO GO and Flash 10.2

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by Concart, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Concart

Concart New Member

I have a Logitech Revue, and it is basically worthless but I have been able to use it to watch HBO Go. It appears that ended today, when I got a message from HBO Go that I need to have Flash 10.2. Of course, the Google Browser on Google TV doesn't have it, and I can't get it.

I'm wondering if anyone knows a solution for this. I'm about ready to just throw this worthless piece of junk in the trash.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google TV received Flash 10.2 beginning with the Honeycomb 3.1 update. What GTV OS update are you on?

If you are on the recent OS update and it still doesn't work - then try rebooting by simultaneously pressing: Alt + Ctrl + DEL

If that doesn't work then try going to settings and clear cookies.

If still no go - then try a full factory reset.

I don't subscribe to HBO-GO but I just tried one of their sample videos on my Logitech Revue - I was able to get HD quality video and it played without a hitch. My download speed is only 3.2 mbps - and I'm connected directly to modem by ethernet.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  3. Concart

Concart New Member

Thanks for the reply. I tried resetting the box, but I have no idea what OS I am on, or even how to find that out. Any help would be appreciated. I looked at settings, but I can't see where I would update the OS or where I can see what version I'm on.

Edit: I found the update, and went to Systems Update. It asks me to click 'Install and Restart', but I have no such option. I just see a Download button, and hitting it doesn't seem to do a thing.

4. CatfishRivers

Press the home key (key with house shape), then press the menu key (key with 4 horizontal bars on bottom row). Next click where it says "System Settings" (from the on-screen menu). Then scroll down the list from the on-screen menu and click "About". Then where it says "Firmware Version" is the OS (firmware) version that you are on. What firmware version does it say you are on?

Try this to update your Revue:

From "System Settings" (as found from above information) - next click "Applications". Next click "Manage Applications". Next click "Google Services Framework". Then click "Force Stop" and "Clear Data". Now try rebooting again by pressing; Alt + Ctrl + Del. Now go back to Systems update and see if you are able to update.

If not - then unfortunately your Revue probably has a firmware issue and won't accept the update. This was a problem with some of the Revues. I myself am stuck on the 3.1 update. If your Revue won't update - I suggest you contact Logitech support by telephone and they will probably offer to send you a replacement Revue if you send them back your Revue. Is your Revue still under warranty?

One last thing to try if your box won't update is the full factory reset. This is done by pushing (and holding) the button on the back of the Revue for approximately 45 seconds.

5. Concart

Concart New Member

Thanks again. I've tried logitech support. They had be reset the box five times with the same result (no update). I'm now stuck on step 5 (system updates), and appear to be in an endless loop. I have no warranty, so I suspect I will end up with an expensive paperweight out of the deal. I"m seeing that some people have gotten new boxes, but they won't do that for me. Live and learn I guess. If anyone knows of a way to get the system update to actually work, I'd love to hear it.

6. CatfishRivers

As you can see from this thread a bunch of other people kept getting stuck on step 5 (and couldn't update):

Revue can't update, stuck on step 5 - Logitech Forums

There are a couple of suggestions mentioned in the thread - but I don't think any of them were ever confirmed as "fixes". As you can see some of the Revue owners mentioned that Logitech told them to send their Revue back for a replacement.

Some of the Revues have corrupt firmware. However what made diagnosing the problem very tricky - was that at around this same time frame Logitech had "server issues" (that were effecting the ability to update). The server issues have been a recurring ongoing problem for Logitech.

So it was difficult to tell if the issue (of not being able to update) was a Logitech server issue - or corrupt firmware in the Revue box itself. IMO it's a bungled mess on Logitech's part. But my hunch is that your Revue has the corrupt firmware issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you on Wi-fi or ethernet? There are/were some Wi-Fi/router issues that might of been effecting the ability to update:

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Revue/Official-WiFi-issues/td-p/749586

If you're on Wi-Fi I suggest connecting directly to modem by ethernet and see if you can update that way.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a link to an article about the Revue boxes that are effected by the corrupted firmware. In the article it gives the range of the Revue MAC addresses that likely have the corrupt firmware:

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/26/2662553/logitech-revue-google-tv-corrupted-firmware

7. hdtv

hdtv New Member

ME TOO yet...I have a SONY Google TV box, and it is basically worthless but I have been able to use it to watch the first few moments of anything streaming until Flash crashes.... when I get a message that I need to have Flash upgrade..... Of course, the Google Browser on Google TV doesn't have it updated to the newest version, and I can't get it.

I'm wondering if anyone knows a solution for this. I'm about ready to just throw this worthless piece of junk on the front lawn of Google tomorrow! HA!.

8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have 3 Google TV boxes and can play flash videos everyday with only very rare crashes. It does take some effort, basically needs to be babied, the steps have been outlined here at this forum many times, starting with having only one window open, not several. It is unfortunate just using a Google TV device, jumping around several web pages, allowing memory to become cluttered, can place it in a state it won't function properly. You don't sound like the type that wants to have to be bothered to make the effort, would prefer whining and complaining so Google TV probably isn't for you, toss it on my front yard.