Quantcast

HBO Basically Tells Us To Continue Pirating 'Game Of Thrones'

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jun 8, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

HBO Basically Tells Us To Continue Pirating 'Game Of Thrones' | The Daily Feed | Minyanville.com (click for full article)

"To state a really, really obvious fact, TV is changing. To be a little bit more obvious, it's the Internet's fault.

Thanks to streaming services like Netflix (NFLX) and Hulu, as well the Apple TV (AAPL) (maybe, possibly becoming an actual HDTV set soon) and Google TV (GOOG), traditional cable companies are facing more competition than ever for viewer eyeballs. Still, the economics of television are still pretty appealing for at least one major online media presence.

Yesterday, the New York Times Media Decoder blog reported that HBO had responded on Twitter to an online campaign pushing for Web-only HBO memberships. The takeaway? Web-exclusive memberships aren't happening, at least not for now.

This week, Jake Caputo started a web page titled "Take My Money, HBO!" that called on HBO to provide an option to subscribe only to its HBO GO feature and asked visitors to name how much they would pay for such a service. The page points out that many Internet users already pirate HBO programs -- a fact also pointed out in this very "The Times is On It" article late last month -- and so the premium cable company might as well charge them."

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

That is a rather sensational headline and of course absolutely false, HBO wants nothing of the sort. HBO along with all other or at least almost all other premium cable channel providers have so far decided that to stream their content, you must have a traditional pay TV subscription and I see nothing that makes me think that is a bad business decision. Since I don't have a pay TV subscription, I wish HBO, Starz!, Showtime, HDNet Movies, TCM and other cable channels had a streaming only service but I understand that the relationship with the cable companies is too important to jeopardize for the small revenue that could be generated by internet stream only subscriptions. For now, I will have to stream from sites that benefit from my business but things are changing rapidly and I might soon be part of a market that is significant.

3. arrowrand

arrowrand New Member

I could buy the dozen or so pay TV series that I watch on Amazon VOD and save over a grand a year compared to what I pay DirecTV. I'd never do it, because I'd miss all of the sports programming, but I could.

You choose to bait the title with the implication that if HBO won't take your money directly you'll steal their content instead of paying Amazon or iTunes. That's just stupid.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The thread title is a direct copy of the article title, the author of which is to blame for that but I agree it is trying to be sensational and it is stupid.

5. twiz

twiz New Member

I'm another one of those non-cable users who would gladly pay for a few web-only provider services (most notably Turner Classic Movies). I have a different theory on why this isn't being currently offered: from a business perspective, I believe that the cable giants have somehow roped these channels through contracts into only providing content to traditional subscribers, be it cable or dish. After all, without these channels, cable giants have nothing to offer except internet service. So I believe the current offerings to only traditional subscribers reflects this, and the weak foray into web marketing may legally be the extent of their capabilities. Let's just hope when it's time to revise and renew contracts, it gets better.

6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I had posted a link to another detailed article about the HBO Go subscription situation in the thread entitled "Hulu TV Networks To Change Model Of Free Streaming". I'll repost that link here because it is relevant for this thread:

What's HBO Go's Problem? - Business - The Atlantic

By the way - most of the articles that I post here are emailed to me every day by Google - as having a direct or indirect relevance and/or concern to Google TV.

Even many of the articles about Apple TV, Xbox, etc were emailed to me by Google. They figure it's relevant because it's interesting to know what the competition is up to. I'm not a fan-boy of anything or any brand in particular. And I might personally agree or disagree with the viewpoints of the articles. But even if I disagree with an article I think many are still worth posting here.

I also realize that some of the articles might "stir-the-pot" a little bit - which I think is a good thing. Lastly I'll mention that rather than try to add my own title to the threads - I felt it best just to post the articles with the original titles as the authors intended.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  7. twiz

twiz New Member

That article hits it on the head pretty well. Points out some ways in which staying with cable benefits HBO and not the cable giants that I hadn't really thought about.

8. 1fatfrog

1fatfrog New Member

HBO is owned by Time Warner... If you've been living under a rock, Time Warner is one of the largest cable TV providers in the nation. It would be "unwise" for them to become their own competition. This is why we won't likely see HBOGo as a standalone service in the near future.

9. arrowrand

arrowrand New Member

Well, come on out from under that rock!

Time Warner spun Time Warner Cable out of the corporate portfolio two years ago or so.

TWC's results haven't figured in Time Warner's results for some time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2