Quantcast

Having problems after the Costar 4.6 upgrade

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by void.pointer, Feb 20, 2013.

1. void.pointer

void.pointer New Member

Vizio technical support still as useless as ever, I get much better technical support here.

I upgraded to 4.6 and I noticed the DVR functions and TV control weren't working anymore (only bluetooth functions to control the costar worked). I tried rebooting, taking batteries out of the remote, etc... nothing worked. I even tried re-adding my TV in devices list in system settings. Nothing.

So I contacted Vizio support, and of course they just run off of a script and they told me to do a factory reset. So I did. They also asked me to hold down Q, =, and Space for 30 seconds to put the remote in IR mode, then hold down Blue button & Record for 20 seconds to pair the remote back to the costar. I did this several times but now the remote won't respond and I can't select the "Get Started" button on the screen.

Now they are saying the remote is defective and want to replace it??? This is stupid. Has anyone else had this problem? What can I do to try to fix it?

2. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

I am sure you thought about it, but have you tried a fresh set of batteries? Does the remote have line of sight to the costar at this time? As soon as I did the update i started getting "low battery" notifications and the remote acted a bit erratic, fresh batteries and things settled down.

3. void.pointer

void.pointer New Member

I haven't. It was working fine before the upgrade though :-(

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

4. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

It may not be the issue but it's easier to start ruling out simple things, especially if you cannot get it to respond, if we can't get the co-star to respond we can't trouble shoot the IR, another thought look at the remote through your cell camera while pushing buttons to see if it emmits any IR light, you will have to hold the remote fairly level to get it to send, if you try to say look "down" on it through your cells camera the gyro in the remote will get confused and it wont send any codes.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

6. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

Per the batteries..

a) I have never seen a low battery notification (I use good quality rechargeable AA's)
    b) I feel like the remote absolutely munches down on batteries... ie. its not at all rare to pick up the remote.. find it non-responsive.. so I change the batteries, and all is suddenly better

7. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Yes, their is a low battery pop up on screen notification ...!

8. mdenard

mdenard New Member

The only problem I had was that my Devices menu went completely blank after the update. I had to factory reset the costar and set it up again to get it back. No problems since.

9. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

I'm not saying there isn't... I am saying I have several times had a non-responsive remote.. changed the batteries and all was well again.. so perhaps this feature has some issues... it certainly wouldn't be the only issue with the Co-Star.

10. void.pointer

void.pointer New Member

Well they are sending me a replacement unit, so we'll see how it works out.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

11. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Hrmmm...well I know one thing for sure.....After the update you can no longer pair 2 remotes to the co-star. I had been sent a replacement early on in the life of the co-star due to some sticking buttons, since they didn't want the old one back I tinkered around and got it working, actually had both units paired and working well. After my reset a few days ago I did not re-pair both units, just one and now I can only pair one at a time, bummer. It also seems now that IR on the "unpaired" remote only works after starting the pair procedure (rec + blue for 5 seconds). Anyone care to try and duplicate my IR suspicions?