Quantcast

Has anyone tried using a Co-Star with a Simple.tv DVR?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by heyted, Nov 28, 2012.

1. heyted

heyted New Member

Is the GTV Chrome browser compatible with the Simple.tv DVR?

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

That's a good question and I would sure think the answer is yes but we do need someone to buy one and try it out with Google TV.

https://www.simple.tv/faq

Cut The Cord with the Simple.TV DVR. by Simple.TV — Kickstarter

Simple.TV is a next-gen DVR for the cord-cutting crowd | CES 2012: Home Theater and Audio - CNET Blogs

Boxee TV vs. Simple.TV (vs. TiVo) - Zatz Not Funny!

Simple.TV Review - Watch CNET's Video Review#!

I think Simple.TV DVR with premium lifetime subscription is $350 plus the cost of USB hard drive but that information and any possible discounts or other options can be found from the first link I provided. I wouldn't buy this personally, the savings compared to TiVo are not much but the comparative shortcomings are huge. I have no idea how this product can find a market at that price. The product is $150 plus the cost of USB hard drive if you want only manual recording ability, single channel at a time regardless of how you use it. If it added internet streaming recording ability, that would make it more interesting to me. There is no Google TV app which means I believe there will never be a Google TV app and although the site doesn't claim it will work with the Google TV web browser, only PC with Chrome as far as I can tell, it might work, hopefully somebody will know for those that insist there is a better deal than TiVo for an OTA DVR.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I think I would prefer this to the Boxee DVR, which uses cloud storage but I won't be buying either.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Another thing to consider is that the FCC just recently passed a resolution allowing cable TV companies to encrypt the basic tier. If you have poor recption by OTA antenna and the cable company in your area starts encrypting the basic tier - then the SimpleTV will not function.

At least with the BoxeeTV they have worked out an arrangement with Comcast that will allow the BoxeeTV to un-encrypt the basic TV signal with a special dongle:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...able-offers-measures-protect-open-access.html

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...els-boxee-reaches-pact-comcast-streaming.html

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  5. heyted

heyted New Member

I think the Simple.tv DVR's real value is its ability to manually record. I am glad that, unlike TiVo, the company does not try to make the DVR incapable of manual recording without a service fee. I hope they keep it that way. I hope their second generation DVR is CableCARD capable and has a HDMI out port. There would definitely be a market for such a device since it would have very little competition (few other DVRs that can manually record without an additional service fee).

6. jTV

jTV New Member

I just sideloaded the app for tablets and works great on Google TV.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk