Quantcast

Hardware Partners Plot Future Of Google TV In Closed-Door Meeting

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Feb 14, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hardware partners plot future of Google TV in closed-door meeting — Tech News and Analysis (click for full article)

by Janko Roettgers - February 13th, 2013

SUMMARY:
    20 companies invested in Google TV came together in Seoul last week to talk about the future of the platform. Some hardware partners have already begun to work on the next version of Google TV.

--"Last week, representatives of 20 hardware makers came together in Google's Seoul, South Korea office to talk about the future of Google TV, I've learned from a person with knowledge of the gathering. During two days of workshops, the companies were told about upcoming Google TV technologies and also talked about future devices powered by Google TV."

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I would think to compete on price Google TV will need to have some models without HDMI input, much cheaper to make so I guess we will see that soon enough. I want HDMI pass through personally and think the additional cost is justified. If direct competition and same limited feature set as Roku is the goal, good luck beating that platform in that market, Roku is really good. If ultimately it becomes something as good as Roku and adds a web browser I think that would be a success but for ease of setup and use right now, Google TV is a long way behind Roku. I don't really know what to expect and for me personally, Google TV has done a great job as is so changing direction won't improve the product from my point of view.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

In my mind the question is whether the devices without HDMI Input will come with a web browser. I hope so but I don't think that they will - or if they do they will not have Flash IMO.

Without a browser I won't have any interest in it. Like Chris said the Roku for it is - is plenty good enough. Not sure that a "Google TV Light" version without a browser will be a big success compared to Roku, Apple TV etc.

I would imagine the YouTube app on the upcoming new Google boxes (without HDMI input) will be one of the selling points.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The upcoming Roku 4200X is supposed to include YouTube and that will fill a gaping hole in Roku's channel line up. As things stand now in my opinion, almost everything both Roku and Google TV do is handled easier or better by Roku. The web browser, HDMI input and YouTube access makes Google TV better than Roku for my needs but once I decided to own both, I can't see living with only one or the other now. Of course if Google TV develops into a streaming box as easy to use as Roku plus maintains all of the things Roku can't do, then I could see retiring my Roku boxes but they be worth much when I try to sell them.