Quantcast

Hardware flow?... OTA + TiVo + PC + Slingbox

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by smartin737, Jan 11, 2012.

1. smartin737

smartin737 New Member

I decided to try to "cut the cable," and made the move to broadcast over the air (OTA) + internet stream TV right before Christmas. I'm disappointed that many internet content sources don't "play nice" with the Revue. To get content from major network webstreams, I'm patching a wifi laptop in by physically unplugging the TiVo from the Revue HDMI-in, and plugging in the laptop HDMI-out in it's place. The solution is physically awkward, and laptop-driven streaming doesn't result in a good living room playback control experience. I either have to keep an awkward-to-use separate BTooth wireless mouse & keyboard near the couch (not the wife's idea of living room decor) or walk across the room to the laptop to pause, etc...(unimaginable horror!)
    I'd like to pass the PC streaming through the TiVo-S4
    to enable the convenient remote for better control (e.i. time-shifting the "live" playback). Sadly, I don't think it's possible to have multiple inputs to the TiVo. I'm pretty sure it's EITHER cable in OR HDMI in.

The major players...
    Content sources: OTA Antenna (r6 out); laptop HDMI out.
    Content organizers/enhancers: beloved TiVo S4HD; new Revue; Sony AV Receiver; TiVo S3HD (currently unused)
    Bit players: Logitech Harmony 650 remote control; older Lite-On DVD player/recorder (pre-HDMI); Samsung low-end plasma TV; Slingbox Solo (presently unused; LG N1T1 NAS (I haven't yet messed with it, and it appears I'll require hours of research to figure out how to configure and use it)

The least-worst solution I've thought of is to set up and run the unused TiVo-S3HD alongside the S-4, running the HDMI-out for each into a switch, which controls which TiVo goes out to the Revue. I'd configure the S-3 for Laptop-HDMI input. This seems like a lot of hardware firepower for a small added capability, but I have everything but the HDMI switch on-hand already.

Ideas welcome!

Steve

2. smartin737

smartin737 New Member

AARRGGG!
    After posting, I went and checked the old TiVo-S3. Guess what... It has HDMI out, but no HDMI-in option. It's cable-style in or nothing. So much for my "least worst" solution above.
    I could use the S3 for the antenna and the S4 for the laptop-streaming as above. I'm pretty sure the S3 has lifetime TiVo on it, too.
    OK... that's now my least-worst plan B. OTA run through the TiVo S-3 switched with the S-4 in parallel for occasional laptop streaming.
    Steve

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Last time I checked there are no video recorders or place-shifters which have HDMI inputs. There's just way too many potential HDCP headaches that manufacturers would have to put with in its implementation.

I would suggest instead of that configuration that you try to either PlayOn or TVersity Pro. These are programs run on your computer and can transcode the video streams from the original sources to your network, so that you can play them on Google TV.

• Like Like x 2
  4. smartin737

smartin737 New Member

Thanks Eferz.

I sure enough just came back on here to post that I checked the TiVo S4 and found it also had no HDMI input.

I'll check out the stream-to-network software you recommended. My wife's not yet sold on our cable/satellite-free situation. I haven't gotten our OTA reception to be stable enough yet & the total complexity still isn't past the "hobbyist" stage to the "end-user" stage. I'm guessing I have about a month to get it squared away before she starts making demands.

Steve

Logitech Revue (since Dec 2011)
    Trying OTA (over-the-air broadcast) instead of cable or satellite (Dec 2011)
    TiVo lifetime (since 1999-ish in various boxes)-- Currently have S4HD, S3HD, and another of some kind in a box somewhere
    Samsung LN25B550 HD TV (Dec 2009?)
    Slingbox Solo (2000)
    Boeing 737 (2001)
    Sony AV Recvr
    DN1010 (summer 2011)
    Android stuff: Huawei S7 (7
    " tablet) (Jan 2011); Acer Iconia A100 (7" tablet) (Nov 2011); LG G2X phone(Aug 2011)

5. surprisinguy

surprisinguy New Member

Just a thought, and you've probably already gone this route, but dont skimp on your outdoor antenna and be sure to use a rotor.

6. smartin737

smartin737 New Member

I'm pretty sure I licked the reception issue yesterday. I was trying to get by with a decent antenna on top of the entertainment center. The signals weren't consistently good enough, so yesterday I moved it into the attic (above 2-story home).
    I got this antenna ANTENNAS DIRECT C2-MBS 50+ MILE RANGE @ Frys last fall when I first decided to try this.
    $6259840.big.jpg
    I am 17.8 to 18.7 miles from the "antenna farm" on the coastal plain here where the monster transmitting antenna reside.
    With the attic installation, my TiVo's signal strength indicators went from norms in the 50s to 70s to norms in the 70s to 90s. I'm pretty confident the new placement will be good enough.

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Hey! That's the one I use in my attic. LOL. Got mine from the $99 Long-Range Antenna & TiVo HD DVR Package from Best Buy.

8. smartin737

smartin737 New Member

I downloaded the PlayOn trial version Eferz mentioned, but I don't think I'll keep it unless I find I'm doing something wrong. The non-searchable interface is nearly as painful to use as the physical re-configuring I'm doing with my laptop now, and my initial take is that the PlayOn picture is noticeably degraded vs my laptop streaming. I also find the very limited PlayOn playback control (clunky rew, pause, and nearly useless FF only) is actually worse than the BTooth mouse & laptop stream experience, where at least you can bump your position on the full-show time bar. Another strike: the Google version only had play access for one major US network (CBS?). We've been watching an ABC series, so it's literally no help there. Maybe there are some configuration options I can try, but absent that, I'm calling PlayOn a miss for me.

Steve

TiVo lifetime (since 1999-ish in various boxes)-- Currently have S4HD, S3HD, and another of some kind in a box somewhere
    Slingbox Solo (2000)
    Boeing 737 (2001)
    Sony AV Recvr
    DN1010 (summer 2011)
    " tablet) (Jan 2011); Acer Iconia A100 (7" tablet) (Nov 2011); LG G2X phone(Aug 2011)

9. smartin737

smartin737 New Member

I've downloaded the Kylo browser ( Features  ) to try next time I need extra-Google TV-streaming. It's Mozilla-designed for couch-to-TV use. It has features (like an on-screen keyboard) built in to get full internet functionality without needing the keyboard nearby.
    Steve

Slingbox Solo (2000)
    Boeing 737 (2001)
    Sony AV Recvr
    DN1010 (summer 2011)

10. smartin737

smartin737 New Member

That's a damn good deal E!
    Mine came with the stand that would have been nice had my cabinet-top reception been good, but the stand's just a waste in my attic. The whole thing's just dangling from a rafter!

Steve

Slingbox Solo (2000)
    Boeing 737 (2001)
    Sony AV Recvr
    DN1010 (summer 2011)