Quantcast

Happy Revue Owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by MStrawder, Oct 23, 2011.

1. MStrawder

MStrawder New Member

I looked at these units when they first hit the market as Dish Network was advertising them quite a bit, but couldn't bring myself to spend the $299 to get one. I finally made the jump about 2 months ago when they hit the $99 mark and overall I have to say that I've been quite happy with my purchase. I was initially frustrated by the media player's lack of DTS streaming as well as support for certain codecs. However once I found the optimal sound/video codecs to use, I only had to make sure to use those when encoding a video. Since then, the player works great.

I've had a blast viewing the spotlight channels. My kids and I love AMOS. I also have both a Netflix and Amazon Prime subscription, so being able to search for any show or movie I want by typing in the name and having the Revue find it for me is really awesome. Streaming Pandora/Slacker while browsing the web on my TV brings the whole entertainment experience into a nice package. I took the plunge and flashed the 3.1 UD build and while it has its quirks, I expect as much from beta software and don't let it bother me. I had my Samsung Vibrant about 2 days before it was rooted and had a custom ROM flashed on it. I see a lot of potential in the platform if Google takes the suggestions from the community, implements them, and really develops for it.

I'm tempted to by another unit for the bedroom as my Christmas present to me, but I'm going to wait until 3.1 hits before I do. Just thought I'd say hi and give the device/platform a little love as I've seen so many comments blasting it when in all honesty, we're looking at an emerging technology that still has an inifinite amount of room to grow. It'll take time as so many factors play in from hardware/software (OS) development, content licensing agreements, to app development. Give it a bit and I think it'll be a really great entertainment environment.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am with you, I love the Revue and it is a great value. I don't use it as a media player for local content, just for internet streaming and it does exactly what I hoped it would do.

3. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to our forum MStrawder. Nice to see new faces..
    It looks like you joined the party at just about the right time..
    With the new os coming out shortly, just about perfect, so you can see the before
    and after of it..

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to use this forum anytime..

The Google TV Forum Team