Quantcast

Hangout with Rishi Chandra

Discussion in 'Google TV Development Discussion' started by eferz, Nov 18, 2011.

1. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Here is my transcript of the video.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 6
  2. popeye123

popeye123 New Member

Wow-alot of good information, thanks.

Excellent Post!!!!

The quote about updates for Logitech and Sony time difference is interesting!
    Why release Sony and Logitech updates separately? Will future updates be pushed on a split schedule like this one was?"

We tried as much as possible coordinate all the devices to actually happen at the same time but it is separate companies. Sony and Logitech have their different processes. They actually have different software and features that they've added on top. So for example, Logitech has added the support of a webcam and can actually do video conferencing on their platform. It is hard to get those schedules exactly right. We try to be as close as possible. In this case, we're hoping it would be in two or three weeks within time to make sure that we update users all as close possible that we can. Now in the future as we add more and more devices, again we're pushing the manufacturer to update as quickly as possible but we will have some deviation. It's not something we get perfectly. We know that customers want really want the update. We're working with Logitech to get it to you guys, so understand the frustration.

Why couldn't Logitech just say that????

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help. I'm not sure it is fair to expect Logitech to say what Rishi said during the Hangout. Google has the unique perspective of being partners with Sony and Logitech. That gives them "the up hill advantage". Since Sony and Logitech are separate companies and could be seen as competitors within in Google TV market, I don't believe Logitech is privy to the communication between Sony and Google. It also wouldn't be professional to announce statements that weren't directly communicated to them, as it would be hearsay.

To be fair; the Vice President and General Manager of the Digital Home Group which responsible for the Revue, Ashish Arora, did state in his last blog update on November 11, 2011:

I believe his blog update was a good indication that it was coming. Now the conflict in the expected release date could be a matter of Logitech not wanting to make the same mistakes as Google did this past year. Remember, since 2010 Google I/O Google when it announced Early 2011 as expected delivery for the Android Market, and on five separate occasions Google kept over-promising and not delivering until October. So, if Rishi and Jurek's estimation of the update turns out to be true, then Logitech would be under promising and over delivering to their customers. Only time will tell at this point whose predictions were fact or fiction.

4. MStrawder

MStrawder New Member

So they're saying now that we won't be able to update to the official release at all if we used one of the leaked builds. I doubt that's true, but if I'm wrong, that's going to mean a lot of very angry Revue owners. However Arora stated that all Revue owners will be getting the update. Who knows? Going to have to wait for the release to find out if it can be manually loaded.

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Well, he specifically said that they won't be getting the over the air update for the official version. It doesn't mean that someone from GTVhacker won't be able to finagle a way to get those people back to the standard builds. However, it'll probably take additional time to do so.

Besides, everyone who opted to install the leaked developer's builds knew the risks and the uncertainty of being able to participate with the official updates. Heck, I've took the time and warned them myself on this forum and the Logitech Technical Support forum on many occasions. There was even a disclaimer that was posted and reiterated on many websites, posts, threads, and within the instructions. It's the price that they pay for being able to enjoy the Honeycomb build months before the rest of the world.

6. MStrawder

MStrawder New Member

Very true and it was a risk I accepted. It would seem cold however to block users completely as many were posting their findings and feedback on different sites, giving Google/Logitech a huge testing audience. I'm never convinced that software builds are accidentally 'leaked'. What better way to do real world testing of thousands of devices without having to provide any support if the user screws something up?

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Well, he didn't say that they're being "blocked". More specifically, that those builds are "not a part of the official release process". That's because if you had an actual Fishtank developer kit, you did NOT want to be included with the updates that were distributed to the public. The public updates would have made the actual $750 or $1000 developer kits worthless to a developer. In order for them to access the developer's updates, they had to register their kit's MAC address with their Google liaison. This allows the respective kit to participate with the updates process specifically for developers.

8. MStrawder

MStrawder New Member

Ahh, I was not aware of the entire development process. The part of being told I'd have to buy another unit is what grabbed my attention the most I suppose. I'm patiently waiting for the update to drop so I can flash it on my Revue and get back on the normal setup. Loving the 3.1 UDB, but there are a few bugs that bring the overall experience down.