Quantcast

Hanging when streaming videos

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Boomn4x4, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

I think I know the answer to this question, but I'm going to throw it out there anyway just to get some feedback.

I'm streaming videos from my laptop wirelessly using GTVBox Media player vi SMB share through to Windows 7. Most of my videos play fine, however, my higher resolution 1080p videos hang while streaming that renders the video unwatchable. My 720p videos seemed to be fine. So, last night, I decided to convert my 1080p videos down to 720p (I only have a 720p set anyway)... low and behold, there was no change. Incidentally, I went through to check some of my other movies, and I found two more that were 720p that had similar hanging problems.

So, my initial conclusion is that maybe the resolution isn't the problem, but its my no-so-good router. Its a Netgear N, but it was a middle of the road model and I do remember seeing on the box that it wasn't recommended for streaming video (at the time, streaming video was the last thing on my mind). Also, that the video resolution has little to do with the streaming process? Is this correct? Why would I be able to watch a full screen HD 720p video of Avatar just fine, but hang up on an HD 720 video of Toy Story?

I tend to be a tight wad when it comes to spending money, so I'd hate to go out and spend money on a new router when the problem is more likely the way my Windows 7 network is configured, or I could simply convert the video format to something more friendly, or simply use a better streaming app on my GTV Box?

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm a programmer by trade, so I know my way around a keyboard, but video rendering is something I know almost nothing about.

2. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

Video files can have similar resolution, but very different bitrate.
    Sometimes bitrate is high enough that you wireless network can not handle it.
    The second reason could be the issue in GTVBox. Try to change caching settings in app preferences. Or try some DLNA app.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

I did play around with the gtvbox settings with no noticeable changes.

So my I iyual assumption in that my half-wit router simply can't handle it. In lieu of buying a new router, is there a good freeware program that can reduce the bit rate?

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That's exactly why instead of using WiFi, I recommend the HomeAV PowerLine Adapaters by from either Logitech or Netgear. This type of networking doesn't have the latency or capacity issues that is inherit to wireless networks. Plus, they come in bandwidth speeds of 200Mbps to 500Mbps, so they have plenty of room to spare.

There are plenty of freeware programs that can change the bit rate. They are called multimedia converters, like Format Factory and AVS Converter. You just have to go into their options to adjust your preferences.

Btw, I think your router is probably fine and doubt replacing it will help much. Most likely your wireless networking conditions is not optimized to handle the high bit rates. This could be due to RF interference, too many high use clients, extended distance, etc. There are many factors which can rapidly reduce the performance of your wireless network.

In lieu using PowerLine networking as suggested above, if you happen to have an old wireless router that you're not using, you might want to set that up as a wireless access point. That way you can dedicate a specific RF frequency and channel for your Google TV. I find this helps people who have particularly busy networks around them.

5. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

I do. Are you aware of any good documentation on how to do such a thing?

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

7. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Hee, hee. I thought you might enjoy that.

9. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

Question about that... I only have laptops, one of which operates as my media server. Therefor, I don't intend on hard wiring it. So, will the PowerLine adapter make much of a difference since it sill needs to go accross the wireless network to get there? I assume that going over the air to the router, then to my GTV box through the wires, would inherently cut network traffic by half, but will that be significant enough?

Either way, I suppose setting up the AP is in my near future. Though, this whole thread is reminding me why I swore in college that there is no way I'd ever become a network admin.

10. x586

x586 New Member

I would disagree as to latency. The avg. wireless connection is 1ms latency. As to bandwidth the avg. transfer speed on decent and fairly compatible hardware using wpa encryption is between 2 and 3 MB/second or 16 and 20 Mb/second. Of course wired is quicker faster and more reliable, while wireless g is probably not going to handle playing a max bit rate bluray disk, it should handle most hidef mp4 (xvid, dvix h.264 x.264) content. I haven't used gbox yet, so i have no idea what sort of network performance or media player performance it offers, but I do know that all players are not created equal, and a bad one can take a lot more processor power to play the same source.

Here's my thought as to the 2 possible causes and how to test each.
    String a network cable to the tv (just to test) and see what happens.
    Next copy the content either local to you device or to a usb drive and play the content from that.

Mp4 video takes a lot of processing power (depending on this, that, and the other) it may simply be the codec and settings for the codec used to encode those files require more processing power then your device can deliver.

Lastly I might try using a dlna setup with the built in media player and see if it will play said content.

11. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

I tried putting the files to a locally connected device, but there was a problem. Gtv only recognizes fat 32... which doesn't allow for files sizes > 4gb... my problem files are all greater than that. So I can't put them on a device that I can connect to the gtv box

12. x586

x586 New Member

Then copy it to the local storage on the device.

13. smartin737

smartin737 New Member

Now, that's funny right there. I don't care who you are.
    Steve

Logitech Revue (since Dec 2011)
    Trying OTA (over-the-air broadcast) instead of cable or satellite (Dec 2011)
    TiVo lifetime (since 1999-ish in various boxes)-- Currently have S4HD, S3HD, and another of some kind in a box somewhere
    Samsung LN25B550 HD TV (Dec 2009?)
    Slingbox Solo (2000)
    Boeing 737 (2001)
    Sony AV Recvr
    DN1010 (summer 2011)
    Android stuff: Huawei S7 (7
    " tablet) (Jan 2011); Acer Iconia A100 (7" tablet) (Nov 2011); LG G2X phone(Aug 2011)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It would will depend on the root cause of the problem. At this point I don't know if you're having issues due to RF interference, an over utilized channel or frequency, or even if the problem is between the router and the GTV device or the router and the laptop. x586 brings up a good suggestion if you have an Ethernet cable long enough to test streaming with a wired connection. Though, I would probably use a USB drive to test playing the file locally if you don't have such lengthy cable.

LOL.

15. x586

x586 New Member

Just curious if you ever did any testing or made any progress with this ? I was thinking about transfer rates and most usb2 sticks max out around 20 MB a second which is what a standard N wireless connection would be. And just in case you missed it when I said copy it local I was talking about copying from your laptop to the internal storage on the tv ( using ftp or file expert etc...)

16. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

Yeah. The problem wasn't my data transfer rate my router and the apps I was playing them back on were fine. I spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure it out.

Long story short. The crappy software I was using to encode the software was the culperate. I can't remember what the name of it was but it was some freeware garbage. As soon as I got different software, the streaming my issues cleared up.

Sent using TapaTalk