Quantcast

Hands On With Viewsonic's $399 Monitor/Tablet/PC Thing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Sep 28, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hands On With Viewsonic's $399 Monitor/Tablet/PC Thing | News & Opinion | PCMag.com (click for full article)

By Sascha Segan September 21, 2012 02:57pm EST

"Is it the world's largest consumer tablet? A cheap competitor to Chromebox PCs and thin clients? A decent secondary monitor? I spent half an hour yesterday with Viewsonic's new $399 "smart display," and I'm still not entirely sure. The one thing I am sure of is that this gadget busts out of a lot of boxes in the CE world, which could be a blessing or a curse.

From the front, the VSD220 Smart Display looks like it might be an all-in-one PC with a 22-inch, 1920-by-1080 screen. It has three USB ports and an Ethernet port on the side along with a MicroSD card slot, a 1.2-megapixel webcam on top, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. There's 5.4GB of built-in avaiable storage.

Plug a cheap USB keyboard and mouse in and turn it on, and ... it's running Android 4.0. OK, so it's an Android 4.0 PC, maybe a thin client for businesses, definitely better than a Chromebox because it can run all of those Google Play apps. Right? Viewsonic's version of Android 4.0 is relatively stock and it'll run most third-party apps, as long as they recognize the somewhat unusual screen size.

The giant screen is a touch-screen, which makes this a kind of tablet, too"

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  2. chopper

chopper Active Member

Here is a video of it in action, pretty cool!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The article says it costs $399. However on the Viewsonic web site they have it listed for $543 -:(

VSD220