Quantcast

Hands on: Slingbox utility for Google TV

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by Rickaren, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

View this article at: Hands on: Slingbox utility for Google TV | Electronista Sunday, Jan 09, 2011 5:00am
    Hands on: Slingbox utility for Google TV [​IMG] Sling Media has previewed its latest video streaming app, which has been developed for Google TV set-top boxes. Electronista had a chance to try out the upcoming system this week at CES, ahead of the official launch. At first glance, the player appears to be another native Android app retooled for the new hardware. The UI closely resembles the SlingPlayer Mobile app for Android smartphones, however the Google TV variant is coded as a web-based utility.

We like the consistency between SlingPlayer apps for different hardware platforms, as some users might watch content on an iPad or Android handset before coming home and switching to Google TV. Navigating the UI seemed to be snappy and just as usable as the mobile editions, while the demo setup was able to smoothly stream a movie in HD resolution.

The Google TV SlingPlayer is a great step for the company, which has continued to expand its list of supported platforms. The company declined to set a specific launch date, though the public release should arrive before the end of the year.

[​IMG]

2. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

Yup, its the phone app blown up to a tv...no HD also...and another $30 price tag. Oh yeah and don't forget...they previewed the iPad app and it took a year to come out.

3. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

It's called "Vaporware" when that happens!

4. TheSanTechnologist

TheSanTechnologist New Member

Actually it's called vaporware when screen shots are shown in a PowerPoint presentation, and the actual software is never seen.

5. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

I call it vaporware until it's released, downloaded, and working properly on my device! LOL!

6. Tommyboy8686

Tommyboy8686 New Member

Saw this on the Slingbox page, interesting, hopefully it will be similar to the player that Boxee just received. I can't post links yet but a couple more posts, but if you go to slingbox community and then to slingbox for connected devices you will see that it has the Boxee and Logitech revue. Hopefully they release it today.

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I am under NDA for Slingplayer for Google TV and cannot give specifics. The best I can do is point people to the Slingbox.com - SlingPlayer for Connected Devices Sign Up Page.

8. jTV

jTV New Member

So would this work as a Network DVR accessible from any Revue in the house? anything GTV-related I'm missing here? if that's it then I don't see the big deal.

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

This little excerpt from Sling Media probably explains it best.

Of course, you'll need to have a Slingbox Solo or Pro-HD to take advantage of it.

10. n2theblu

n2theblu New Member

What if I don't own a ski condo???

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Then you don't deserve one! LOL

12. madman999

madman999 Member

The benefit is that it gives some additional content to redisplay on your revue especially if it's in a remote location away from your cable box. Locally attached its not as useful. Right now we will take anything they give us. It's positive any time something is released for this platform.

I have a slingbox av and stream to my android phone and tablet. I paid 30$ for the app.

Would be better if it worked through the browser via a plug in like it does on firebox for the pc.

Sent from my Htc Incredible via tapatalk....

13. chucktownriver

chucktownriver New Member

Eferz,

I am trying to use the Sony GTV with the new slingplayer app but i keep getting "Connection Lost error"- It will optimize then start playing video for about 3 sec then i will receive the error. Do i need to just wait for the app for the Sony TV or is there a setting I can change? Thanks!

14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That sounds more like a networking issue than a problem with the app. Where is the Slingbox (server) connected logically in the network in comparison to the Slingplayer (client)? Does it have to span across the internet? a different subnet? a wireless connection? Have you checked that the firmware on your Slingbox Solo or Pro-HD is the most current available?

15. chucktownriver

chucktownriver New Member

It spans across the internet. Slingbox (Server) in MD connected through router with port forwarding, Slingplayer (Client) in SC. I have tried wireless and wired. Removed router from connection (in SC), same problem.. I have no problem using the webplayer on slingbox.com. When i go through setup on slingbox .com it says i have the latest software. I hope i have answered your question correctly..

16. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, you have thanks. Okay, since you're getting the connection across the internet then we need to know the connection type. This information used to be available while holding down [Ctrl]+[Shift] and mouse clicking on the video window of the Web Slingplayer. Do you have Slingplayer Desktop for the Mac or PC? With that you can press [Shift]+[Alt]+[I] and the connection type can be TCP, SNATT or Relay. Similar information can be gathered by pressing [Shift]+[Q] for the Slingplayer for the Revue. The only connection type I've experienced to work is TCP but that doesn't mean the others aren't compatible.

Make sure that your router's port forwarding rules includes both TCP and UDP port 5001 (or whatever port your Slingbox uses). If your Slingbox's uses its Sling ID in the Slingbox Directory, you might consider adding an additional listing with a more direct address. Setting up Dynamic DNS on your router will provide you with a static URL that can keep up with your ISP's Dynamic IP Address assignments. That way you can connect to it without Sling's servers by entering the <dynamic.dns.ip.address>:<tcp/udp port> in your Slingbox Directory.