Quantcast

guide not updating since December update

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by supercazzola, Dec 25, 2010.

1. supercazzola

supercazzola New Member

Anyone else seeing this? I have a 24" sony GTV. Error says guide hasn't updated in over 48 hours. I even tried to delete profile and start over. It says guide will be downloaded after tv is turned off.
    no luck. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    Try this do a factory reset, under Settings-About-Factory Reset, I did this to my Sony 40" GTV and it fixed allot of bugs.

3. supercazzola

supercazzola New Member

seems I had to do a complete factory reset. The CTRL+ALT+DEL didn't get the guide to work again.
    Hope I don't have to keep doing that for each update that gets pushed out...

4. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich New Member

I found this forum by doing a Google search on this issue. We have done a Factory Reset, reset the profile, messed with every single option in the guide, but the TV guide on our one month old 32" Sony GTV has never worked since the beginning, it just says "No Data". Are there any other ideas??

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  5. wirelessoma

wirelessoma New Member

same here, it has never worked for me, I bought my tv in June 2011.

6. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

You need to factory reset the unit. My unit started not updating the other day. I had to do a factory reset once I did that it started to work. My problem is the what's on menu never populates nor does the Netflix menu..

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

7. wirelessoma

wirelessoma New Member

I did a factory reset a few days ago, still no luck with the guide... not sure what else to try. My setup is simply an indoor amplified RCA antenna for OTA free digital channels. I don't have cable tv. My tv is connected to WiFi.

8. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

Make sure your guide setup is correct I.e. your area zipcode also you must not use the set over night as this is when mine updates.. I have 2 Sony Google tv's and only one has had this problem the other one works no problem... go figure..

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

9. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

From my understanding the way the tvs grab the data is from the over the airs digital stream. To get this to work, I was told you should have the antenna directly connected to the tv and not to a vcr or other device that would impede the tv signal.

Also they told me that your tv tuner should be set as the default tv device if your trying to use the tv guide as well. Also it may take a day or more depending on how strong your tv signals are.

I don't think at the moment that the Rovi guide data is downloaded via wifi but is actually coming from the channels reception or the RCA Antenna your using. That said things like bad weather could affect your getting the guide data if it affects your tv reception.

Here is what Sony says about what to check if the tv guide is not displaying data after 24 hours

The Rovi™ On Screen TV Guide is available with a direct cable connection from your cable service provider or with an over-the-air antenna signal only. Make sure your signal source is connected directly to the CABLE/ANTENNA input without using a cable box.
    Also, the Internet TV does not display a program guide if Broadcaster is selected as the source for program information. Instead, change this setting to TV Guide by doing the following:

• Turn on the Internet TV.
    • On the keypad remote control, simultaneously press the Fn +1 buttons to display the Settings menu.
    • Press the down arrow button to select Video input .
    • Press the ENTER button.
    • Press the down arrow button to select Built-in tuner settings .
    • Press the ENTER button again to select Channels .
    • Press the down arrow button to select Program Information Source .
    • Press the up arrow to select TV Guide .

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  10. supercazzola

supercazzola New Member

Sony confirmed that if you use the tuner in the TV, the guide is lost on power outage, and the only way to recover it is to do a factory reset

11. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Wouldn't it recover in a day or so after an outage as I would think that would be how it worked since it gets data from the tuner.

12. supercazzola

supercazzola New Member

that's what i figured, but I can confirm it down for a week until I reset to factory default. Even tried to re-run setup from the guide, but it didn't repopulate until the TV factory reset.

13. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

What about removing the tuner and re-adding it? I am trying to get guide data to my tv guide and in the past I was able to get the ads but no guide data but now its not working. I suspect it's due to me having the quick power on feature set or whatever its called so I turned that off so the tv could use the tuner to pull the guide data. Hopefully it works as I reset the tv to defaults and this time I did not add my dish tuner so the only data it should be getting is from the ota tuner.

14. wirelessoma

wirelessoma New Member

I have tried at least 4 factory resets since I bought the TV in June, no luck with guide data. I have tried some of the suggestions above, still nothing. Not sure what else to try.

15. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I talked to Sony about not being able to get guide data and the rep asked for my zip code eventually since I live out in the country in the middle of nowhere and was told that I was not getting guide data due to being outside the service area. This may be the problem others are experiancing as well as I was doing everything right but getting no guide data even after waiting a week.

16. wirelessoma

wirelessoma New Member

I live smackdab in the downtown of a major city and I catch between 10-20 channels.

Anyway, I do have good news now:

I have an RCA indoor antenna with an optional amplifier that is NOT built in. Since day one, I've been using the amplifier. The coax from the antenna connects to the amplifier and the coax from the amplifier connects to the TV.
    I was wondering if the amplifier has anything to do with getting guide data so I took off the amplifier and connected the antenna directly to the TV. By the next day, I now have guide data!

One of these days, I might put the amplifier back on and reset the TV to see if it gets any guide data, just for confirmation.

Please post if this works for you, or not, to check if this can be replicated.