Quantcast

"Guide" hasn't worked since oct. '11 update?

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by dryr, Nov 11, 2011.

1. dryr

dryr New Member

Simple question that I can't find the answer to. The "Guide" feature on my sony tv hasn't worked since the gtv 2.0 update in october. I have it set to update at midnight just as before the update and all other internet apps work, but every day when I check it, it says it could not update.

Is this a known problem or do I have to do something special to fix it?

• Like Like x 2
  2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the Rovi guide for the Built-in Tuner? I just checked mine, "Your guide was not able to receive data for more than 49 hours. Please go to the Settings area and change your settings." And my settings are also set to "On" for "Update Listings Overnight". Looks like you've found another bug that was introduced in the Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) Update. Might wanna call Sony Technical Support to register it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. dryr

dryr New Member

Yes, the one for the tuner (updates over the internet based on zip code). It's just a good as cable "guides" but for people with tons of free local channels (~14 here). They also changed the "What's On" info section to the a categorized listing app that doesn't show as much info or list by channel. Overall, the update took away the perk of channel info that even basic HDTVs have, the smart got much dumber it seems...

Also, it's been a couple weeks, it seems highly unlikely they wouldn't know about it. I just want to know if there would be a fix coming, and how/when.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I did just about everything I could think of including a factory reset. No dice.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Cableguy

Cableguy New Member

When I accessed mine after the update since I only have rabbit ears it said guide would take up to 24 hours to populate, when I woke up the morning the Rovi guide was good to go and I have not had any issues since

6. jeff275

jeff275 New Member

Once when I had to factory reset my TV, I had to hook the TV up to a VHF antenna (all but two of our local channels are UHF) before I got the guide downloaded. Maybe it was a coincidence but it was there the morning after I made that change whereas in the week prior nothing else had worked.

7. dryr

dryr New Member

screw it, resetting and will stick with the more functional 1.0 os, will probably have to click no to update prompts every day. With my phone and tv iam really hating google and how they roll-out half baked updates that hardware companies don't want to deal with.

GDI! 2.0 IS the reset now... Will see tomorrow If guide works now.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  8. dryr

dryr New Member

It works!!! Factory reset has the rovi guide working for me again. Menu button on a channel>privacy settings>reset and 10 mins of setup later... Success! Thx all for help.

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

:( It didn't work for me. Waaah! I guess that I'll have to try it again.

10. mm9351

mm9351 New Member

Still struggling with this issue after 3 weeks here. I performed the factory reset and countless rovi guide resets (more than I will admit to) even changed zip codes as was suggested by some websites I visited. Can anyone here help me through this? My cable provider is Cablevision - Hauppauge Long Island (NY). I'm using the built in tuner (no cable box). The hard reset took a very long time, needed to reload apps and settings, and now I no longer get the icons on the channel guide. Again, thanks to eferz for taking the lead, and to all others who contributed here, but I am frustrated big time that I can't get the guide to work as advertised. Thanks to all for your time!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member