Quantcast

Guide displaying GMT and no data after 2 days.

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by atoms, Jan 4, 2011.

1. atoms

atoms New Member

First of all, HELLO! :) I am a happy and proud owner of a Sony Google TV. I love it so far!

Now my problem: I have the date and time set correctly in the settings. I use the automatic setting and it appears correct. The problem is with the guide and the time displayed when changing channels. It seems to be 5 hours fast, which is GMT.

I also have NO DATA in the guide. The TV has been hooked up for a couple days now.

Any insight is appreciated!

2. atoms

atoms New Member

BTW - I talked to customer support and they were pretty much worthless. I did a factory reset and it didn't help. Everything seems to be setup correctly.

Additional info: I am NOT plugged into a cable box, I am connected directly to the cable line. I have Comcast.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks again!

3. atoms

atoms New Member

A new day, a new bump.

I have had 2 chats and one phone call with Sony support and I still have the issue.

Is there anyone who has seen or heard of this?

4. Netastophales

Netastophales New Member

I want to bu,p this for you, because it does not seem to be getting any traction. I am amazed that the factory reset did not solve your issue. When all else fails.... return it for a different one. Wish I could of been more help.

5. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

I wonder if the RTC needs an external server, like that cable box? Anyone else simply have their GTV's attached to cable, sans box?

6. atoms

atoms New Member

RTC? Is that the guide software?

As far as the setup went, there's apparently no need for an external box. The TV is aware of my location and should download the correct data for the guide.

7. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

RTC=real-time clock. Devices usually get their time from a server some where..either a wan-enabled device (router/modem) or another device connected to a data-source (like a cable box, which would also have a RTC driving the programming listings,etc.). I think only GTV Daniel could answer this one. :)

8. atoms

atoms New Member

Help me GTV Daniel! You're my only hope!

/Star Wars

9. StevenB

StevenB New Member

It may be your cable provider. With providers switching to digital signals through the actual cable line, the channel information getting passed through may not be set up right just yet. Like for instance, here where I live, they have switched. The tv guide shows all these channels as whole numbers like 36 or 50. If you plug cable straight from wall, using the tv's tuner, the channels will show up like 46.3 or 46-3, depending on the tv. Either way, if you see that, you are seeing the channel's physical number. It also means your cable provider is probably not passing channel info correctly/completely, which is why the guide isn't able to get info.

10. atoms

atoms New Member

But isn't the guide based off my location and data from the internet? I thought tvguide.com carried the guide data and the Google TV just needed to know where I was and what time it was to get the guide populated.

11. StevenB

StevenB New Member

You have to type in your zip code in the guide setup. After that you choose your provider and all the other stuff it asks afterwards!

12. GTV Daniel

GTV Daniel New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm following up on this with the team. atoms, could you provide your ZIP code so that we can make sure that there isn't an issue there? Feel free to post or send my a PM... You must do what you feel is right, of course. :)

GTV Daniel

13. atoms

atoms New Member

My zip code is 24401 and I use Comcast cable. I have no cable box. I just have the cable into the TV.

Thank you so much for your help!

:D

14. oliUSA

oliUSA New Member

Hi! I have had the same exact problem. I have had the tv for a good 2 weeks and still NO GUIDE. My tv is plugged in straight from the wall with no cable box. During the guide setup, which I did several times, it asked me for the zipcode but not provider......Any clue on what to do?

15. atoms

atoms New Member

I have been through 2 chats and 1 phone call with Sony and they are worthless. All they will do is have you check settings and do a factory reset. None of which helped me.

I am still without any guide data and display the incorrect time. :(

16. StevenB

StevenB New Member

Eh so I'm without guide data as well still. I am sure though for me, the problem is the channel numbers aren't the normal channel numbers. Since I have an HTC Desire, as well as a laptop next to where I watch my Sony, I have access to the TV Guide anyway, even though the channel numbers aren't the same.. Oh well. For now, its all I can do. For me, I don't think the problem is the guide. For you, its weird typing in the zip code wasn't enough to at least change your time to the correct one. Did you ever mess with the date/time? Even if you didn't think you did, it couldn't hurt to check that too.

17. atoms

atoms New Member

I have checked and changed the time over and over. I used automatic time, and manual to no effect. It seems that the clock you set in the Date/Time settings is completely separate from the date/time used by the guide and channel info displayed. :(

18. GTV Daniel

GTV Daniel New Member

Hey atoms (and everyone),

The team is continuing to investigate this issue. I promise you haven't been forgotten. :) Sorry I don't have more to report yet.

Thanks for your patience.

Daniel

19. atoms

atoms New Member

Thank you Daniel!!! :)

20. GTV Daniel

GTV Daniel New Member

Hi again,

Sorry for my delayed response. I'm afraid I don't have good news for you; it seems that the Rovi TV Guide does not support listings for Comcast in your area. This may be something you can follow up on with Comcast or Rovi directly if you'd like to provide feedback.

Sorry I couldn't bring you better news!

-Daniel