Quantcast

GTVHacker about to release root exploits

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Tye, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Tye

Tye Member

If you're interested in the technical details you can see their Defcon presentation slides here: (ugh, in a below post because I'm below the 10 post limit). It's fascinating stuff. Anyway, it looks like we're about to have a lot of new doors open up on the classic GTV devices.

2. Tye

Tye Member

• Like Like x 2
  3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Using Google TV, all that link did for me is download a file I can't play using Google TV.

4. saeba

saeba Active Member

It's an OpenOffice Presentation document. Not sure what would open it on GoogleTV.

5. ChrisG8

I didn't recognize the file type. There is a Google Play app, Open Office Document Reader, I just tried to install that app but wasn't successful. Will try again when I get a chance.

6. ChrisG8

it didn't install with the second attempt either, not sure why or if the app would open .odp files if I could install it. More importantly since I never can understand what hacking a device like this opens up, what are a few of things we would hope for?

7. tinsnow

tinsnow Member

this is a open office document. similar to a microsoft word document. explaining the gtvhacker release notes and other stuff. this is not the hack. install open office or other tools in pc. or open in text edit in mac to see the notes.

8. ChrisG8

I understood it was not the hack, I wanted to read it so I did download it and read it using a PC. I still don't know anything, what new things might be possible or if it will require a hardware modification, maybe soon we will see some benefit but I am skeptical.

9. ChrisG8

To get the OpenOffice Document Reader app to install, I had to reboot my Logitech Revue but it doesn't read this file.

10. Tye

Tye Member

Hi ChrisG8,
    Sorry you're having trouble with the doc. I saw a similar link to an actual PowerPoint slide deck too instead of the OpenOffice deck. It might be a day or so but I'll see if I can find the actual link to that.

It's not a hardware hack but you'll need a USB stick to get things started. They showed how some simple hex edits could get us Hulu and access to site that block Google TV specifically.
    Technically, it should be possible to do just about anything now. But I have to agree with you that we might not see any of the benefits because it will take time to put into a usable hack and by that time new hardware might be out.
    ...crossing my fingers...

11. ChrisG8

Access to Hulu and other sites blocking Google TV would be a huge benefit of course. I have got to hand it to the group that can hack this thing, I couldn't hack my way out of a wet paper bag so all I can do is say thank you if real benefits are coming soon enough to matter.

12. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Software Root Now Available For Logitech Revue, But It's Not For The Faint Of Heart (click for full article)

"For months now, users who wanted to root their Logitech Revue GoogleTV unit were either forced to use hardware modifications or do without. Now, though, Android hacker extraordinaire Dan Rosenberg has found a way to do it completely through software. There's only one problem: it's both extremely difficult and risky. Still, if you're up for a challenge, this one's for you.

This hack uses an exploit called nandpwn, which is explained better on GTVhacker than I could ever do:

"A local privilege escalation exploit for the Logitech Revue that leverages the ability to map the hardware registers of the NAND flash controller in conjunction with a Linux kernel information leak to clobber kernel memory in a way that allows gaining privileges."

Fancy, no? It's also "highly unstable" and could cause permanent, irreversible damage to your Revue. So, if this sounds like your idea of fun times on a Friday night, hit the source link for full details.

Good luck."

http://gtvhacker.com/index.php/Revue_software_root (click for full Revue root info. on GTVHacker)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  13. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

So is this just for the Revue or will also work on the Sony NSZ-GT1?

14. ChrisG8

Just the Revue but I wouldn't touch it personally, my Revues are still very useful to me and the risk is too great that wouldn't be the case after the attempted hack. I will wait for something easier and safer or live with it as is.

• Like Like x 2