Quantcast

GTVBox / ViMu Player support

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by mcd2000, Dec 11, 2011.

1. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  2. volwrath

volwrath New Member

I just bought this a while ago. It didnt seem to want to see my Win7 x64 shares until I manually set them up and used ip addresses. This program is worth its weight, it is much better than the logitech media program.

I could not get the airplay to work however.

Oops I guess I cant do that as I have an Ipad2 with IOS4?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  3. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

It does not always able to discover your shares itself. Depends on your Windows setting (dont really know exact :)).

Regarding Airplay: what GoogleTV device do you have? Are you able to see GTVBox as Airplay-capable on your iPad or it is not displayed at all? I don't have any iOS4 devices to test. Only iOS5. :)

4. volwrath

volwrath New Member

It is not displayed on my Ipad2 at all. I really should upgrade to ios5, but am currently jailbroken and dont want to lose the jailbreak.

Does it support airplay games like realracing2 and mirroring and all that?

Thanks!

5. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

No. Airplay on GTVBox is ONLY for video playback (even not for music).

6. volwrath

volwrath New Member

Any chance a future version could have a bookmark feature to remember where you are in the latest video watched? A flip to network TV kills GTVBox it appears. Probably not enough available RAM in the Revue to keep both open?

7. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

I was thinking about "Resume" feature, but Logitech suddenly broke MKV seeking. So, It will not work on all files on the Revue.

GTVBox actually uses lots of Revue memory for file proxy and caching. So, Android OS will kill it as soon as you switch apps, I suppose. :D

8. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I only use my Logitech Revue as a stand alone internet device. (I don't stream files from a computer). So I wasn't sure if GTVBox would be of any benefit in my situation. However I found that some videos that previously wouldn't work (videos that I tried to play from downloaded apps) - will now work because those same videos now play through GTVBox.

So my question is this: Is there any way that GTVBox could also improve streaming directly from web sites (more codec support)? Is there any way you could support octet stream videos, windows media player, and those windows videos that begin with mms:// ?

9. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

In theory, it should be possible to implement mms as Revue supports Windows Media Video, but it's not possible to integrate player directly to Chrome...

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

How about in a different angle? Is it possible to add a URL text box to stream internet video directly to GTVBox Video Player?

11. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

Are you sure it is really important for now? I think at least 90% use flash streaming or HTML5 video. Both are natively supported.
    Some sites use Microsoft Smooth Streaming, which is going to be implemented by Google too.

12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Honestly, its not important to me at all. Just a way of helping CatfishRivers out in asking his question.

13. volwrath

volwrath New Member

I would like the ability to use GTVbox on my Kindle Fire. Any chance other devices will be supported in the future?

Edit: this request isnt as important since ES File Explorer + Moboplayer accomplishes the same thing

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  14. CatfishRivers

There are a lot of live TV streaming channels from various countries that use the windows mms:// prefix to stream their broadcast on the internet. I've seen a lot of people request the ability to stream the live TV channels that use the windows formats. That's why I mentioned it.

For example here is a website that has numerous links to live online TV channels worldwide (as you can see some are in Flash - but many are also in Windows formats):

Squid TV

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  15. neo11

neo11 New Member

As I posted in the FAQ boards as well, I am also looking for information on how I could possibly view live streams of stations using Windows Media formats for their webcasts (using the mms:// prefix, as mentioned above). Many international television stations do indeed use this format instead of Flash or HTML5 video, and there does not seem to be any way to view these streams on my Sony Google TV. I did see the GTVBox Video Player in the Android Market but wanted to hold off on purchasing it until I knew whether or not this app would be able to provide this capability. Is there any chance that GTVBox will offer this capability in the future, or is there any other third party app that does?

16. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

Ok. I need some example direct links to pages with mms content. Thanks.

17. CatfishRivers

If you go to this web page (see link below) many of the live TV feeds from France are in the mms format (note that the feeds that play in Windows formats have the Microsoft logo near the link - while the feeds that play in Flash have the "F" logo).

France - Watch free live TV

Here is a specific example for the "France24" channel:

mms://stream1.france24.yacast.net/f24_livefr

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  18. CatfishRivers

Also I wanted to mention that while many of the live worldwide TV channel Microsoft feeds (from that SquidTVsite) are in the mms format - some are also in this Microsoft format:

http://wstreaming.zdf.de/encoder/livestream6_h.asx

That format also doesn't play on my Revue. So I think these 2 Windows formats comprise most of the Microsoft streams of the live TV channels worldwide. Some are also in Silverlight - but that's probably not doable with GTV as per my understanding?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  19. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

I've just captured some part of this stream (with mplayer) and successfully played the file on my Revue. So, It's technically possible. All we need is mms-http proxy code. :)

20. neo11

neo11 New Member

Interesting. How would it be playable on the Sony Google TV?