Quantcast

GTV3 update and Vudu - 5.1 audio?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by saeba, Mar 17, 2013.

1. saeba

saeba Active Member

Hi!

Still watching from the GTV3 sidelines to see which device wins the battle ;-)!

So far, only the Co-Star currently has the Vudu capability which I want... but there was a post on the Vudu support site that perhaps the Co-Star wasn't playing Vudu movies in 5.1 audio? Can anyone confirm or contradict this claim? To me, Vudu is important because it provides the highest quality video/sound combination of any of the streaming sites (1080p and 5.1/7.1 audio). So if the Co-Star can't do the audio....

Thanks!

2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  3. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

THE ABOVE OPTICAL AUDIO OUTPUT SETTINGS ARE BUILT IN THE v4.6.0 Google TV 3 Upscale VIZIO Co-Star ...!

I'm in the process of getting a AV receiver with four HDMI 1.4 ports built IN and one HDMI 1.4 output port also built IN ... I plan on getting to the bottom of this real soon, according to Vizio Corp tech support, the statement over at the Vudu forum is incorrect ...

I'm also in the process of purchasing the best HDMI 1.4 cables money can buy ... Like I said, I will be getting to the bottom of this he said, they said mess very soon ....

"Optical Audio OutPut Settings"

If you want the "Optical Audio OutPut Settings" to work via the Co-Star, you must have HDMI 1.4 cables on your Co-Star, this will not work with HDMI 1.3 cables ...

*Audio Return channel allowing audio from an HDMI 1.4 TV

HDMI CABLES:

USE HDMI CABLES 1.4 ONLY WITH YOUR NEW VIZIO CO-STAR AND (CAT #6) ETHERNET CABLES ONLY*(Save Yourself A Lot Of headaches)

"You can think of HDMI 1.4 as the successor to 1.3. Specifically, it adds 4 new features to your HDMI connection "

1.\ Higher resolution capabilities (allowing for Ultra High Definition 4K x 2K which is about 6x the resolution of 1080p)

2.\ Support for 3D video at 1080p with compatible Blu-Ray Players, Set-top Boxes, PCs and TVs ...

3.\ *Audio Return channel allowing audio from an HDMI 1.4 TV to be "passed back to the receiver though the HDMI cable, rather than having to run a separate audio cable to the TV" (According To Vizio Co-Star Support This Is What Makes Everything Works And Why No Optical Output Port Is Needed By The Co-Star) ...

(Yes, HDMI 1.4 cables can carry (PCM, AC3, Dolby Digital and DTS Pass Through) Please No Argument, No Debate ...!

6 HD Inputs: The SonySTR-DH520 is equipped with six HD inputs. Four HDMI 1.4 inputs (up to 1080/24p capable) let you connect a high-definition satellite receiver, Blu-ray Disc player, and game system for high definition video and audio. Two component inputs (1080/60i capable) provide added HD-capable connectivity and versatility.
    • HDMI: The receiver is equipped with four HDMI (v.1.4) inputs for connecting HDMI-equipped audio/video components. All four HDMI inputs are capable of carrying uncompressed digital audio and 3D 1080p video There is also an HDMI (v.1.4) output which supports the ARC function that feeds audio/video signals to an HDTV.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  4. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

https://forum.vudu.com/showthread.php?921141-Co-Star-w-update-Vudu-Not-5-1

The poster (@above post# 3 ) has contradicted this claim, btw.

However, so far the Co-Star seems to offer (stereo) 2.0 audio with Vudu & Amazon apps.
    And, no other user has yet to confirm* that the Co-Star offers 5.1 audio with Vudu or Amazon apps.
    update: a user has confirm it here.
    (on 3-30-13)

FYI,

• Vudo HDX titles (in 5.1 audio) are encoded in 7.1/5.1 Dolby Digital plus (7.1/5.1DD+).
    • Amazon HD titles (in 5.1 audio) are encoded in 5.1 Dolby Digital (5.1DD).
    • 7.1/5.1 Dolby Digital plus (7.1/5.1DD+) is only supported over HDMI cables (not optical cables).

Notes,
    To access the Co-Star audio settings":

• Press [V] button > select "Settings" > "Audio" > HDMI Audio Out > select "Auto" or "PCM"
    • "PCM" for only stereo sound .
    • "Auto" for stereo sound, if the Co-Star is connected directly (via hdmi) to the TV.
    • "Auto" for surround sound, if the Co-Star is connected directly (via hdmi) to the AV Receiver.
      (see Co-Star's manual Page 39)

On a related note,
    The poster (@above post# 3 ) continues to claim that,
    "Vizio Co-Star Google TV 3 (OS) Rules Supreme Over Sony's NSZ-GS7 Google TV 3 Update " ... by offering Vudu app ...

Miracles happen.... just haven't seen 'em on this forum yet ;)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Wisdom always offers that stupid picture of the Vizio Co-Star optical audio output options when asked whether or not the Vizio Co-Star supports Vudu 5.1. I consider it nothing more than a filibuster and recommend nobody bother to read the post, it has nothing to do with whether or not the Vizio Co-Star can play DD 5.1 or DD Plus 5.1 from Vudu. I will guess he has posted that same stupid meaningless picture 15 or 20 times now.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

What have you and Revue5 proved NOTHING, you guys have only posted nothing but theory and nothing else ....!

I will keep on post the Vizio Co-Star built IN "Optical Audio Output Settings" photo, until you prove it doesn't work, now you talk a good game, now prove it doesn't work and not with theory either ....(l0l):cool:

7. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

ALL WRONG

The poster (@above post# 3 ) has contradicted this claim, btw.

However, so far the Co-Star seems to only offer (stereo) 2.0 audio with Vudu & Amazon apps.
    And, no other user has yet to confirm that the Co-Star offers 5.1 audio with Vudu or Amazon apps.

FYI,

• Vudo HDX titles (in 5.1 audio) are encoded in 7.1/5.1 Dolby Digital plus (7.1/5.1DD+).
    • Amazon HD titles (in 5.1 audio) are encoded in 5.1 Dolby Digital (5.1DD).
    • 7.1/5.1 Dolby Digital plus (7.1/5.1DD+) is only supported over HDMI cables (not optical cables).
    Notes,
    To access the Co-Star audio settings":

• Press [V] button > select "Settings" > "Audio" > HDMI Audio Out > select "Auto" or "PCM"
    • "PCM" for only stereo sound .
    • "Auto" for stereo sound, if the Co-Star is connected directly (via hdmi) to the TV.
    • "Auto" for surround sound, if the Co-Star is connected directly (via hdmi) to the AV Receiver.
      (see Co-Star's manual Page 39)

8. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

In the above photo is the correct way to set up the Co-Star with a "Sound Bar or AV Receiver" with a HDTV that supports ARC ...

If you want to play movies via Vudu on your Co-Star in 7.1/5.1 audio, you should not have any problems using the above diagram ...

I will be testing this more very soon with scientific evidence and not theory .... Don't listen to people just offering you theory without scientific evidence ....

9. ChrisG8

The question is does the Co-Star support Vudu Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 and 7.1, Wisdom nothing you have offered is even remotely relevant to the question. If the Co-Star supported those audio codecs, it would be supported over HDMI and the convoluted HDMI to optical audio nonsense you keep on posting about means nothing to that question. Furthermore, if anybody wants optical audio output, I recommend buying a Google TV box that has optical audio output, not one that doesn't.

10. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

The question is has ChrisG8 proved with scientific evidence, the Co-star cannot play Vudu movies with 5.1/7.1 audio via the proper equipment, such as the diagram display above from Vizio Corp ...

I'm getting ready to set up tests to prove what works and what doesn't work, but are you setting up test to prove, the Co-Star cannot play Vudu movies via 5.1/7.1 audio .... If you cannot prove it ChrisG8, then you need to get out of the game, it's all theory you are talking ...

I got brand new info on this Vudu app 5.1/7.1 audio and the high end HDX on the Co-Star today ... What you and others are trying to do is defame the Vudu app on the Co-Star ... ChrisG8 the Co-Star RULES .....(l0l):cool:

11. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

In the above photo is the correct way to set up the Co-Star with a "Sound Bar or AV Receiver" with a HDTV that supports ARC ...

If you want to play movies via Vudu on your Co-Star in 7.1/5.1 audio, you should not have any problems using the above diagram ...

I will be testing this more very soon with scientific evidence and not theory .... Don't listen to people just offering you theory without scientific evidence ....

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  12. ChrisG8

My explanations are not theories about how Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 and 7.1 works. You connect an HDMI cable to an audio processor cable of decoding Dolby Digital Plus and it works. Wisdom, your charts are just more nonsense on top of nonsense which is all you have offered from the first time I asked this question a week or two ago. If you think you have fooled anybody into believing you have any earthly idea of what you are talking about, I can say I doubt seriously that you have.

If the Co-Star supports Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus surround sound, all one needs to do is connect the HDMI output from the Co-Star to the HDMI input of a sound processor that handles those codecs, end of story. I have seen no reports that anybody has done this and gotten it to work, therefore one must conclude it doesn't work. Hopefully Vizio will add support for Vudu Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus surround sound in a future update, I would expect that to happen soon. I have never heard of a Vudu streaming player that doesn't support surround sound and this must just be a short term flub up on Vizio's part. I listen to Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus audio with Vudu several times each month and have for a long time and I was able to do so without those stupid charts that have nothing to do with how to set it up and use it.

13. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Prove it dude ...! By the way, the diagram is from Vizio Corp, you talk a good game, now prove it, yeah right ...!

14. ChrisG8

Prove what? That your diagrams have no relevance to whether or not the Vizio Co-Star can process Vudu Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus audio? Do you mean I have to prove that connecting a media player by HDMI is the proper way to process Dolby Digital Plus audio?

15. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I have never ever said anything you are saying, never said the Co-Star can decode anything ...! You cannot prove the Co-Star cannot play Vudu movies with 5.1/7.1 audio with the above diagram set up, prove it dude ...! I have nothing else to discuss with you, take care ...

16. Amuzeme

Amuzeme New Member

The question is does the Co-Star support Vudu Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 and 7.1. Using the below setup and test videos, I'd have to say yes:

STB > HDMI > Co-Star > HDMI > AV Receiver > HDMI > TV (No optical cable, no ARC).

Click on the pictures to enlarge

Try the following 3 titles from Vudu app:
    1. "Pirates of the Caribbean": On Strange Tides
    Select [browse] > search for the title "The Hobbit" > select 2 Min Preview > select HDX > try it.

* This title is encoded in 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus (7.1DD+).
    * Your AV Receiver should display > "4/3/0.1 Dolby+" or "3/2/0.1 Dolby+" or "Dolby Digital+" (where "+" indicates "Plus").
    $IMG_20130330_210453_907.jpg

2. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
    Select [browse] > search for the title "The Hobbit" > select 2 Min Preview > select HDX > try it.

* This title is encoded in 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus (5.1DD+).
    * Your AV Receiver should display "3/2/0.1 Dolby+" or "Dolby Digital+" (where "+" indicates "Plus").

$IMG_20130330_210804_441.jpg
    . "Punsher: War Zone",
    Select [browse] > search for the title "Punsher" > select 2 Min Preview > select HDX > try it.

* This title is encoded in 5.1 Dolby Digital (5.1DD).
    * Your AV Receiver should display "3/2/0.1 Dolby" or "Dolby Digital" (no "+"indicates legacy).
    $IMG_20130330_211132_632.jpg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
    • Like Like x 6
  17. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Congrats! better late than never. thnx [​IMG]

So, you finally ran my test and,
    - found vudu app outputs DD+ (via direct hdmi connection no optical & no "ARC")
    - your setup is as in Figure (7) or Figure (8) diagram (see below),
    - the Co-Star "HDMI Audio settings" is set to "Auto" (see Co-Star's manual Page 39),

• Press [V] button > select "Settings" > "Audio" > HDMI Audio Out > select "Auto"

Right?
    (or you have done something different?)

also,
    - is your AVR set for 5.1 ch or 7.1 ch?
    - what is your vudu app current version number? was the app recently updated?
    - what AVR & TV make/model?

[HR][/HR]

[​IMG]
    Figure (7)
    Co-Star > HDMI > AV Receiver > HDMI > TV

----------------------------------

[​IMG]
    Figure (8)
    Cable/DVR > HDMI > Co-Star > HDMI > AV Receiver > HDMI > TV

----------------------------------

[​IMG]

Co-Star manual page (39)
    & Vudu HDX movie info

-----------------------------------

[​IMG]
    From "Co-Star manual" page (20)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  18. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Amuzeme, I cannot argue with you, because you are one billion percent correct .... I just learned about what you are saying today from a Vudu high level source, concerning the Vizio Co-Star Vudu app HDX movies data stream has all the code to be decoded by any AV receiver ....

Amuzeme you let the cat out of the bag ...(l0l) I was not going to give this info to ChrisG8 or Revue5 either, because it seems they are more interested in demeaning the Vudu app on the Co-Star ...

Some people actually think because they don't know about or have knowledge of a certain "thing" then it cannot work, be true or even exist, because they have no knowledge of it .... Some people actually limit their thinking to this kind of mentality (If I Don't Know About It, It Cannot Work) ...

19. googlethis

googlethis New Member

So in other words the ridiculous statement of needing optical and ARC to get DD out of the Co-Star was completely false. Glad to see you finally realized that. Would be nice if you deleted all those bogus posts that have possibly confused some readers.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

Googlethis and Googlethat, your above statement is not true either, their is more than one way to skin a cat dude ....(l0l):cool: