Quantcast

GTV with Tivo

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by rkwatch, Apr 22, 2014.

1. rkwatch

rkwatch Member

Is it possible to integrate Tivo (Roamio) with GTV (Asus Cube)?
    If so, is there any benefit of doing this?

Thanks!

2. saeba

saeba Active Member

GTV is always about expectations - What do you want it for vs what it can do. For me, it's a great match to my expectations. And yes, I have 2 GTVs that I use with TiVo and will be setting up an Asus Cube shortly to replace an older GTV v1 product (my Sony GT1). I view GTV as the perfect companion to TiVo.

GTV adds to TiVo by providing a web browser so I can lookup info on the web (not on TiVo). It provides PLEX capability so I can stream video files of all kinds of formats from the PLEX server on my PC (not on TiVo). It allows me to connect with PlayOn/Playlater on my PC and view and/or record content on Hulu and other sites that aren't directly available on GTV (though you can run Hulu Plus on TiVo, you can't record and play content back.... so no fastforwarding through the Hulu commercials). As an Amazon Prime member, I have access to Amazon Prime Video content (not on TiVo). And it provides access to Vudu for movies which with 1080p video and Dolby Digital+ audio is the best quality available (not on TiVo).

Additonally, GTV has Primetime, which helps find content (playing live or through content servers). This works well with TiVo - you see something playing live you like, select it and the GTV uses the IR blaster to change the TiVo to the correct channel.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  3. saeba

saeba Active Member

I should also mention things GTV doesn't do:

(1) The web browser is limited. Many content sites don't allow GTV to playback content on their sites (like Hulu). The browser does have Adobe Flash, but it does have issues on some sites. That's why I generally use PlayOn/PlayLater to record content from sites. It runs on the PC and uses a PC browser which seems to work best with many sites.
    (2) GTV doesn't run any and every android app. It's running Android 3.2 (Honeycomb) which is incompatible with many apps. Additionally, many apps exclude GTV from their compatibility list.
    (3) GTV is not a great gaming platform - hard to find compatible games. What to use for a game controller?
    (4) GTV is not a PC replacement (in my view). I wouldn't want to do email, social media, etc. on it.
    (5) GTV is not a great general media content player. It plays many audio/video file formats, but is limited. This is why I use PLEX. It will play directly to GTV files GTV can handle and transcode (convert) the ones it can't. You need a good/somewhat powerful PC server to do this though.

Others may differ on these points. Just my opinion based on 2 years of using GTV.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  4. rkwatch

rkwatch Member

Thanks saeba .. Lots of interesting info!

Does GTV remote replace Tivo remote? (say after you selected something via Primetime)
    How do you connect to PlayOn/Playlater on PC?

5. saeba

saeba Active Member

You can use your GTV to control the TiVo via the GTV remote. GTV then uses an IR blaster to control the TiVo.

There's an Android PlayOn app on the GTV that connects to your PlayOn server on the PC. You can also connect via the Chrome web browser on the GTV. Of course, your GTV and PC need to be connected via a home network.

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Google TV with TiVo and a PC running PlayOn is the far and away the best solution I have found to merge traditional TV with internet TV in one HDMI input. It works well for female head of household which is very important, she wouldn't ever use a PC for TV access at all without this setup. We use the Logitech K700 keyboard but most would probably prefer a little Bluetooth controller. Everything we need is controllable through Google TV. We have three Google TV boxes and three TiVos for three HDTVs and one PC.

• Like Like x 2
  7. saeba

saeba Active Member

FYI - Just setup my new Asus Cube with my TiVo Premiere XL4. Works great using the Asus Cube remote and the Cube's IR Blaster. I did two tweaks... mapped the diagonal color bars on the Cube remote to "DVR" and "LiveTV" functions so I could easily call up the TiVo menu (DVR) and then go back to "LiveTV". This is very easy to do.

NOTE: One function I could not figure out was how to launch the TiVo onscreen guide. The "Guide" button on the Cube remote brings up the PrimeTime app. Anyone figured a solution for this? On the Sony GS7 if you hit the "Guide" button twice, it brings up the TiVo on screen guide, but this doesn't work on the Asus.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  8. saeba

saeba Active Member

Found how to change this... use the "Guide" button to bring up the PrimeTime guide...scroll down to options.... and turn it off. After that, it brings up the TiVo on screen guide instead :)!