Quantcast

GTV, when on, blocks Comcast remote funtionality

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by SeeAndAvoid, Mar 11, 2013.

1. SeeAndAvoid

SeeAndAvoid New Member

Similar to other people that have posted here, I have family members (mainly an ever increasingly angry wife) that just wants to control the TV (Panasonic Viera Plasma) and Cable Box (Comcast Motorola DCH3416 - the older silver one, they never have the new black box when I try to get one) and bypass GoogleTV when she's in a hurry to record or watch something. The GTV is in standby mode, which I read elsewhere on this forum that turning that off may help, so I'll try that. But if the GTV is on - and it occasionally has a mind of its own and turns itself on - it makes using the regular Comcast remote a real challenge. My son almost threw the remote at the TV just trying to watch something On Demand.

Now, the remote never worked very good with the box, and I've replaced the remote - so it's the box, which I've also replaced a couple of times (and batteries of course). But it wasn't as bad as it is with the GTV in the mix. Previous to the GTV I had it going to the TV via Component cables, NOT HDMI. Now of course with the GTV it's Cable-HDMI-GTV-HDMI-TV, and I think the HDMI has something to do with this. I am also using the IR Blaster, although not sure it matters as the GTV and cable box are right next to each other - OR COULD THE IR BLASTER BE CAUSING THIS?

On a side note, I've tried the Able Remote App, and it's far better than the supplied remote - except I haven't gotten it to control the AV Receiver volume yet. Otherwise it's taken away some of the frustration of the supplied remote.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I really want to like this GTV, and I'm stuck with this crap Comcast box for the time being. Just trying to keep everyone happy.

Chris

2. Jarhead

Jarhead Member

I always use the comcast remote (actually a harmony but not gtv) normally and only use the gtv remote when using the gtv features. No problems at all. Make sure you aren't blocking the cable boxes ir receiver and it should work the same as without the gtv. Also, hdmi has nothing to do with this problem.

3. SeeAndAvoid

SeeAndAvoid New Member

IR receiver isn't blocked, so that's not it. The other thing that I thought should not happen is that when the GTV unit is off, it isn't passing through the HDMI signal of the cable box. With this old cable box, the HDMI picture through the GTV is not as good as the Component output straight to the TV. The HDMI is grainy in comparison. I'm considering just using it like a Roku and not run cable through it, which sort of defeats some of its purposes.

4. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

If you have a digital camera of any kind try looking at the blaster through it when the GTV is on, could be the blasters are acting weird and confusing your cable box. If when the box is on and not doing anything, you see the blasters lit up, chances are it is something to do with the blaster set up. I don't have a sony myself but just thought I would offer my 2 cents. As for the picture I can tell you with my co-star I would have to almost always re-configure my motorola cable box's video settings when I would turn the costar on/off. It had something to do with the handshake over hdmi, anyway it would revert to a 480i output, but the costar would upscale it to 1080 and make it look like garbage in doing so. I would also try turning off CEC control(if its on) just to be safe.

5. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

HDMI should not be grainy compared to anything. You may need to re-route your cables, and/or buy new HDMI v1.4 cables.

As a quick experiment, you might try pulling the batteries out of the GS7 remote and make sure that for some reason it isn't spamming out IR.

6. SeeAndAvoid

SeeAndAvoid New Member

Finally, FINALLY, I was able to score a new cable box from Comcast - the black one. It resolved the issues with the flaky remote and the grainy HDMI picture. Don't you hate it when you troubleshoot something, have a feeling what would fix it, but have no control over it? That's been the deal with Comcast and these boxes that would never be there when I went in to get one. The weird thing is that the first answer I got was "no, we don't have any of those", as they had one on display playing. I pushed a little harder telling them what was wrong with the current box/remote, next thing you know he pulls out a shrink wrapped unit from someones office.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Glad you got it resolved

8. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

I had the same thing happen w/Cox cable. My Logitech Revue just didn't like the small new DVR units that were foisted on us. The Motorola DCH 3200 was the unit that all my GTV devices were compatible with. Thanks for bring this issue up. Most folks won't think to ask their cable company to exchange their current unit for one that is more compatible w/their particular system.

Good looking out...

Carl