Quantcast

Gtv kinda sucks

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by droiddude, Jun 2, 2013.

1. droiddude

droiddude New Member

Even though I'm a fan on Android, Google tv is a jack of all trades and master of none. What does gtv actually offer right now apart from Netflix and a browser? Media streaming can be done via my WD TV box so there isn't a lot for it to offer.

2. conq

conq New Member

I own a Google TV box (Vizio Costar) and you're right, it is kind of odd. It doesn't have a hard-disk so it can't act as a DVR yet the TV does flow through it and it does provide a much nicer guide than the cable tv companies' offering (so it's easy to search and find when shows are on, except I can't record them so what's the point!) But the killer feature for me is that I can watch HBO Go on my big-screen TV, and this was the sole reason for my purchase. HBO Go is really great with a lot more content than that available through Comcast's OnDemand. I wanted to buy a Roku 3 as that supports HBO Go but I read reviews beforehand and it appears that HBO Go isn't available on the Roku 3 when you subscribe through Comcast. I did find the Youtube app to be really good - it makes viewing content and related content really easy.

I looked at the WD TV specs online and it looks quite good - can that stream HBO Go? It isn't listed as an available service on the website so I guess it can't. And even if it could I guess I'd need to ask somebody else who uses Comcast if the device can stream the service.

3. MAKuttner

MAKuttner New Member

I agree that it kinda sucks. The funny thing is that it doesn't outright suck, it just kinda sucks. This means you can't even get passionate about hating it. :)

That said, I think that this is more a problem with all smart TV boxes than specifically a GTV thing. I'm currently working on some software to try and make it 'kinda good', aiming eventually to make it 'really good', or even 'kinda great'. What I'm wondering is what people would really like to see a Smart TV do. Suggestions?

4. Chasmanian

Chasmanian Member

• Like Like x 2
  5. MAKuttner

MAKuttner New Member

Chasmanian, thanks for pointing me in that direction; I'll head over there and check it out.

6. edrebber

edrebber New Member

You can add a USB external drive.

7. tfid

tfid New Member

Have YOU tried to use a USB external drive with a GTV device? I have an Asus Cube and ext. USB HDs do NOT work.
    An older self powered NTFS dive is not recognized. A new My Passport USB powered drive is not recognized.

Can anyone reading this say they've used a USB HD on the Asus Cube to watch a .mpg movie, or listen to a .wav file?

8. Chasmanian

Chasmanian Member

There's no need to be hostile. Most set top boxes don't provide enough current from one usb port to power an external drive. There is a cable for external drives that has two usb plugs on the pc side. You can try one of those. You plug both ends into the two usb ports to provide enough current.

9. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't have the Asus Cube so I can't comment regarding using an external USB HD with that model. I have used external USB 2.0 hard drives with the Logitech Revue, Sony NSZ-GT1, and NSZ-GS7. The NSZ-GT1 doesn't recognize NTFS formatted drives but does recognize and can write to FAT32 and exFAT formatted drives. It was somewhat problematic getting USB drives to work but that might have been due to the fact I am not technically inclined when it comes to this stuff. I think some of the hard drives had hidden partitions or other incompatibilities that I eventually overcame by reformatting. I have commented in other threads on this topic and disclosed drive make/models I have used. The largest drive I have connected was a WD 500GB SATA drive, formatted NTFS and it worked with the Revue and NSZ-GS7. Just yesterday I connected a Maxtor 120GB IDE drive formatted exFAT to an NSZ-GT1. So far all I have done with any of the drives is playback PlayLater DVR recordings, made using a PC. I have only used Rosewill external enclosures.

I don't think GTV kinda sucks, just the opposite, I think it is kinda great and I use it almost daily as a important part of my cord cutting solution and just ordinary internet related things like email and web browsing.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
    • Like Like x 2