Quantcast

GTV Director Of Content Says Update Coming In "3 To 4 Weeks"

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Oct 4, 2011.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I was able to get this news summary from an online article posted about 9 hours ago. (However I can't get the full article because the source requires a subscription to see it). The following is what I was able to read from the article:

"MIPCOM NEWS: Google is planning to launch the second generation of Google TV in the "next three to four weeks," according to the platform's director of content. Speaking in Cannes during a panel discussion about connected TV, Donagh O'Malley said the ..."

Here's a link to where the article is posted (however unfortunately it requires a subscription to see the full article):

http://www.c21media.net/

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I found a video link and transcribed his specific quote from the event.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  3. CatfishRivers

Thanks Eferz! I'm pretty sure Google will want this update out before 'the holidays'. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed. By the way - does Halloween count as part of the 'holidays'? Ha-Ha -:)

• Like Like x 2
  4. jetmdt

jetmdt Member

So in about three or four weeks the CEO of Google is going to come into Eferz's living room and slap him on the ***! Pics or it didn't happen!

LOL Jeff

5. gtaguy

gtaguy New Member

Me likes the idea of going from 8 apps to almost 250 apps on google tv.. Im willing to wait for the update as long as its worth it..
    Something said to me all along that it wasn't worth the time to do an OTA update unless there were plenty of options for apps on GTV..

I do hope that google developers listened to early adopters of this technology and implemented some of the wants and needs of its users..
    I bought a revue box a month ago and now have about 18 followers that did the same..
    Overall impression is that it really merges web and tv and the desire for more is there. I just hope i didn't lead them to a dead end road cause i won't hear the end of it if google does not come through..

Thanks Eferz for your insatiable desire to see this technology grow and become a true competitor in the online tv market. Your posts have helped me out a ton in understanding the animal thats caged inside my Revue box.. cheers : )

6. les anderson

les anderson New Member

I suppose this is good news but another month??? Damn!

7. koopakid08

koopakid08 New Member

I like how he says PROBABLY in 3 to 4 weeks. -_-

---------------------------------
    Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

If this post helped you don't forget to say thanks!

8. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

If it comes with 20 quality apps, it will be worth the wait.

9. galfert

galfert Active Member

For everyone saying it was worth the wait I totally disagree with you. To say that it was worth the wait is like saying better late than never. And that is flawed thinking as I'll explain why.

My point stems from the fact that I spent $250 (some people spent $300) for a device that was promised certain features like the Android Market and other things not delivered. Even if it finally gets here at this point it is too late. What was the point of early adoption if the product was not delivered as promised in the time that was promised several times? If we are all beta testers then these things should have all continued to flow and be updated and labeled beta. I would have appreciated that. Give us what you have rather than nothing for a full year.

The reason it will not be worth the wait is because by the time the promises are delivered a newer hardware will probably be available and I would have paid full early adoption price that has been fully devalued without the promised benefits. Even if new hardware does not come out I still paid too much without the promised benefits. Google gave us their word and now we know that their word is not worth anything.

But I'm not poor so I'm not terribly upset about it. I'm upset on a principle level of having given my money to a company that failed to deliver when promised. I won't make that mistake again with Google and any future beta product....based on principle. I'm a consumer and I believe in the capitalistic economy and I will vote with my wallet next time. It doesn't mean I'm boycotting Google. It just means that next time I'll be better able to evaluate Google and their new products to deem if they are "worthy" or not. Notice I didn't say "worth it" because that has a different meaning.

Google, You are on notice. Pull this stunt again on a beta product and you will fail. If tomorrow you start selling the car that drives itself but you promise that it will take just a few months to finalize the automatic pilot software feature you will fail....nobody is going to buy it on your promises. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

If Google had had bigger competition in this space like say from Apple we would all have seen the Android Market a long time ago. Apple TV is not a competitor to Google TV. Apple TV serves a different purpose...it is just a media extender and media player for your TV. Google TV attempted to do a lot more. If Apple had delivered their iOS apps to Apple TV then that would have been interesting and exciting. Google would then have scrambled and delivered as promised a long time ago. My point is that Google could have done it they just didn't prioritize to do so and they neglected their customers.

So for those that say it was worth the wait.....maybe for you if you just recently got Google TV for $99.....but not for the rest of us. We are early adopters that got lied to.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

i have had mine for a few months now.. and my gosh... what a bunch of malcontent whiney BS... its just a nice little internet surfing web tool for in between station breaks and such... so they missed a dead line..or project date... so what ? some times i think society is way way to soft a place that... Google misses a product update causes such ire.. its just a internet doo dad.. get over it... im sure they will come out with HC some time in the future.. but there is an alternative if you are so woundup and need it now now now.. just root the thing and install the leak... for me... i know my way around the tubes that... pretty much every thing that hulu or abc can offer.. can be found with little trouble.. just seek and find..

would it be nice to have HC NOW?

yes...

will the sun come up if they dont roll it out in time?
    yes...

i dont think its because they are dragging feet.. they are just not willing to release Beta SW... they want to do it right this time...

but please continue with the whine.... if it helps..

me.. i like my revue as is and will like it even better with the upgrade.. but it is what it is...

11. galfert

galfert Active Member

There is no whining. It is about principle. It is about saving face for all us techie people that pitched Google TV to our friends, family and clients with promised future benefits. It is not about a missed deadline....but rather several deadlines. And it is about communicating that to Google that is at fault and that many of us are not happy about it and we won't be fooled again. So it isn't just an Internet doo dad.

• Like Like x 4
  12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I also blame Logitech and Sony for not continuing to support the Android 2.1 environment while we all waited for Google to get the act together. Seriously, the least they could have done was continue to fix bugs with their system(s). The proper thing to do would have been to expand and enhance on their current offerings to make it feel like the extra money was well spent. But, instead the last seven months left us without any developmental support except for three "security patches." No doubt this was due to their anticipation of Honeycomb being released. While I certainly blame Google for missing their milestones on Google TV, both Logitech and Sony are also to blame for neglecting platform in its current state and causing it to devalue prematurely.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Member

Exactly.
    While I'm pretty happy with my Revue based on how I use it, there is no excuse for Logitech not fixing the things that should have been fixed months ago, like the audio issues.

• Like Like x 2
  14. CatfishRivers

Honeycomb update release in 3-4 weeks - Google TV Director of Content | AndroidOS.in

---- This is from the article:

"Google TV team is probably waiting for ICS announcement to pass and announce the version 2.0 update soon after that. Donagh stated that there are over 250 apps optimized for Google TV currently in the Android Market and he expects the number to jump up to 1000 as soon as the update is made live."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what would be the point of waiting for the Ice Cream Sandwich announcement to pass BEFORE announcing GTV version 2.0 update?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  15. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That line is conjecture from Gaurav Shukla, the article's writer. You can tell by the way he uses the word, "probably".

16. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

Well, if we do have to wait for the ICS announcement to pass, we may only need to wait until October 11 for that milestone to happen. From Gizmodo:

ANDROID
    BY KELLY HODGKINS OCT 6, 2011 8:15 PM 10,630

October 11th May Be The Day Google Gives Us Some Ice Cream Sandwich
    Samsung is holding an event next week in San Diego and the star of the show is rumored to be the Nexus Prime. Coming along for the ride may be Google which could use this event to launch Android 4.0.

The Android Developer's YouTube Channel posted and then pulled down an "Android ICS launch" event video that'll go live in five days. ICS is short for Ice Cream Sandwich and the October 11th date coincidences with the Samsung Unpacked event.

A dual announcement like this is not surprising. The Nexus Prime is shaping up to be a monster of a phone and Google would be foolish not to showcase its new OS along with this smashing piece of hardware. [CNET]

17. frmorrison

frmorrison New Member

"Samsung and Google have decided to postpone the Samsung Mobile Unpacked event during the CTIA in San Diego, previously scheduled for Oct. 11. Under the current circumstances, both parties have agreed that this is not the appropriate time for the announcement of a new product."

On other news, Dish Network sent an email to subscribers saying that the update was coming soon.

18. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

That date has been delayed, out of respect for Steve Jobs passing. I doubt it will effect the release date got ICS though...

ICS is a much bigger announcement, so I could understand why they would wasn't to focus their attention on that...

19. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

So GTV update still 3-4 weeks away or has that changed too? Any word as to when GTV gets the ICS update?

20. daddypants

daddypants New Member

yeah, the google tv has its bugs (like shockwave constantly crashing and netflix being weird) and its limitations (the chrome browser), but over all its a sweet machine. my two kids (2 and 5) each have have one in their room and use them everyday for stuff like kideos, netflix, xbmc streaming over the DLNA, kid friendly youtube playlists, meegenius, fraboom, and stuff they watch off their usb hard drives. so as flawed as google tv 1.0 seems to be sometimes, its been really kid friendly, and that's been the biggest thing for me to appreciate with these. we were early adopters but i really enjoyed getting to do that. i bought them when they first came out, and never regretted it. we bought one, and loved it so much we went back and got two more. its odd hearing people complain about these when i feel like such a fanboy about my google tvs. with the update and the app store coming they'll get even better, but honestly i already love my google tv.