Quantcast

GTV / Android OS / computer / tablet / hmm

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by x586, Jan 11, 2012.

1. x586

x586 New Member

So I was thinking that since GTV (pick your device) was running android and since its basically a smart phone (PC) without the phone, that it would be able to use it as such. I could install linux apps etc... and do all sorts of customizing and other things.
    Reality appears different though. This is more like windows on a chip (embedded terminal) you can't really do much as far as making real changes.

Am I correct in that as of today none of the GTV stuff has been rooted and generic Android or myth linux etc... been load on it ? What about memory and storage upgrades anyone looking that. ?

2. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

It sounds like you are wanting a device to do something it wasn't designed to do, just because of the framework it was built on. It would be like saying, "why can't my toaster cook a turkey?" A toaster is deigned to cook bread, not turkeys.. Google TV is... well a TV, one in which brings a massive amount of media to your screen, not to run Open Office and mail merge address labels to your printer.

While Google TV may have a computer "feel" to it, it isn't a computer, nor is it intended to be one. What you are wanting to get out of Google TV has been around for decades, its called a "computer".

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Well, Google TV has been rooted. However, it is only possible under specific conditions. First of all, you need a virgin box which has never been updated. Then you need to use a hardware hack to tap into the physical serial ADB port. A software "jailbreak" has not been found and seems to be so improbable that the Android community has resorted to create a petition urging to unlock the boot loader.

4. x586

x586 New Member

@ Boomn4x4, now I would complete disagree with that. All GTV devices are computers 1st and displays second. I boots up, it has an x86 operating system, network protocols, storage, can run any code written for linux x86. Just because that's not it's intended purpose don't mean that's not what it is. Look at Xbox it runs Linux.

GTV is not a function built chip, it's a multi-function computer with a purpose.

@ eferz Wish I had known that before I plugged it in.

5. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

That is also a fairly accurate description of my Garmin GPS and my NetGear router. Should I be upset that I cannot get them to run Gimp? A lot of devices run Linux, have network protocols and storage, and in theroy could run any code written for Linux.

6. x586

x586 New Member

Well I seriously doubt that about the GPS, and I know that is not accurate on the netgear. We not talking about being able to take a generic 3 year old cell that is design to be nothing but a two-way gsm radio and write new code to turn it into something to calculate landing trajectories for interstellar objects.

We are talking about a generic x86 system designed with multi-media multi-source multi-signal input in mind.

7. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

Regardless, you are most certainly stretching... or at least WANTING to stretch, the device way outside of its bounds. I can assure you that when any developer of a Google TV device created their system, they were not thinking, "I sure hope someone roots this and installs Linux applications on it".

Don't get me wrong, I can respect your persepctive, and I know where you are coming from. Isn't that, "Awesome operating system, no lets see how I can change it!", what made Linux so popular in the, for a lack of a better term, "underground" computing world? Incidentally, because of that approach, and all the things people HAVE done to change it... that whole paradigm is now different. The Linux operating system is no longer just for "geeks". It is a legitimate operating system that has very legitimate business purpose. And when its used as a business purpose, the last thing you should expect a manufacturer to do is open it up to be rooted and hacked by its users. Just because Linux is Open Source, doesn't mean that everything that is built from it has to be open as well.

If you want to do what you said you wanted to do in your original post, it would be much much easier and cheaper to do with a basic Linux based computer plugged into your TV's HDMI port.