Quantcast

GTV and Video games (concoles and PC)

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by plope125, Nov 25, 2011.

1. plope125

plope125 New Member

I read most of the other video game thread and it didnt help any cause at all, and im hoping with making another thread that sony and Google see that this is one of the biggest issues/problems with the GTV.

Ive tried FPS games, Sports games and everything in between on an xbox 360 and a ps3 but also hooked my gaming PC up to it and no matter what settings i changed or inputs i used it always lagged to the point where its utterly impossible to play. The part that i don't get is movies didn't lag at all when being played through the console to the tv. Im running the most recent GTV (40inch model). I love this tv for just about everything else but its probable the worst tv you could ever buy to play games on, and based on what ive read online im not the only one pretty pissed about this.

I would appreciate if a sony or GTV Representative could post and finally give us users some sort of real information on if this video game lag is going to be fixed or not. thanks

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I have never seen either a legitimate Google TV or Sony representative post here since participating in these forums. There shouldn't be any reason to believe that one will start just because you post a brand new thread. Therefore, there is no reason to not continue or not contribute to the already establish topic on this thread, "http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/sony-internet-tv/2571-gaming-lag.html"

Besides, there's nothing to "fix" if they believe that this is "normal operation"

The problem is inherit to the design of their inputs which are funneled through the CE4100 series processor in order to allow instant Google TV overlays. The only way to have avoided it would be to dedicate at least one of the inputs to bypass the Google TV platform entirely, like Vizio does with their "Game Port(s)".

• Like Like x 2
  3. asmarti08

asmarti08 New Member

eferz is right.

This is not a malfunction. There IS lag when you watch movies or TV, you just don't notice it because the user control / response time is not such an important factor when watching a movie. The response time is obviously paramount when playing a game, so games are virtually unplayable because the video signal is going through the [computer] processor(s) which requires extra time to "think" and "work" on the signal. This results in the lag you experience when trying to play a game. I experienced this on the Logitech Revue and decided it would be impractical to hook up the PS3 through the unit.

• Like Like x 2
  4. StevenB

StevenB New Member

I JUST thought of an idea! So as you guys may or may not know/realize(though I'm sure eferz has), app games are not laggy. So now the solution would be to somehow funnel the signal feed from the consoles through an app!! I am not skilled enough with android to do something like that yet, but the idea is to connect the xbox to a router via hdmi 1.4(with ethernet) and then have the app connect to the router somehow.

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I don't think that would work either. The reason why the game apps on Google TV aren't laggy is because they are being processed by the Google TV platform. Therefore, they do not need to buffer through any input. Besides, at the moment, it is impossible. The only device that theoretically could allow this type of "place-shifting" is the Spawn-720P from SpawnLabs. I have one but since GameStop bought them out, I haven't seen any new clients other than the one they originally made for the PC. Perhaps OnLive will release an app for Google TV one day then you can use their platform to play games on their computer cluster.