Quantcast

GS8 Initial Set-Up

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by Travel, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Travel

Travel Active Member

I noticed that, in Revue5's "Tips," nothing should be in the USB ports when doing a factory reset, but would that apply to a K700 keyboard's unifying receiver being plugged into the GS8 USB port before doing an initial set-up with a new box?

In other words, would having the unifying receiver plugged-in, assist in the system's recognizing the keyboard for pairing? Or, would it not make any difference whether the unifying receiver is in or out of the USB port when doing the initial set-up?

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I always set up with the original controller then immediately after setup insert the unifying receiver, but I don't believe any issues will be encountered by having the unifying receiver installed during setup. I can't think of any advantage to having the unifying receiver installed during setup, pairing is done before inserting the unifying receiver.

• Like Like x 2
  3. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

^
    +1

Hi,
    Btw, I recommended USB devices removal before performing "Factory reset" mainly to cut any incoming external power form powered-USB-devices & also incase the plugged-in USB device was the cause of the issue.

I'd say, using the original Remote/controller (w/o USB devices plugged-in) when doing initial set-up is not a bad idea to avoid the known.

• Like Like x 2
  4. drhill

drhill Member

I got my GS8 yesterday. Things are not going smoothly. The remote seems to have a 3 foot range (and even then...). Past that it seems to lose connection, lag, think I held down keys, or just plain stink. I tried re-pairing once and it didn't help. If I pull the batteries it works ok for a few minutes then goes crazy again.

I can't get the remote to turn off/on my receiver even though I can control volume or input. I have HDMI-CEC enabled on all my devices. It annoyingly shows me that I am hitting the receiver volume up/down on screen too. I get that from the tv via hdmi already.

No DTS obviously. 24p support doesn't work in plex (I have it enabled in settings). There are a few different configuration of media that don't play nice with Plex that are rock solid on my GT1. 3D MVC mkv files now look like a macroblocked mess. On the GT1 it played as a perfect 2d video. Also mkv's with MPEG2 video and DTS* audio transcode in plex for video and audio. It should just need to transcode the audio as other MPEG2 mkv's with DD(AC3) direct play both.

If I can get the remote straightened out (mandatory) and figure out the best way to juggle the receiver so I can leave it on or off depending on what I'm watching (wife won't like it for normal tv) I think I can work with the Plex guys on the MPEG2 issue (probably a big deal), the MVC issue, and the 24p thing.

Overall, I like my GT1 better so far. The new hardware isn't noticeable (or at all?) faster. The new remote is a bit too wide to be really comfortable. The old remote was pretty good other then backlighting and the track pad. They could have thinned out this remote a tad bit more. The new trackpad can't be judged until I get the remote working though. Of course this purchase is also in hopes that JellyBean + NDK can unleash some more power on this unit.

Wish they didn't can the GP9.

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I was looking forward to the NSZ-GP9 as well and very disappointed when it was cancelled but I do like the NSZ-GS7. The differences in codec support compared to the NSZ-GT1 are well known, the NSZ-GT1 due to being a Blu-ray player is much better. As far as your controller issues, it sure sounds like you have a defective controller to me, if you can't get it working properly, get it replaced by contacting Sony or the retailer.

As far as any difference in speed compared to the NSZ-GT1, I haven't been able to tell any difference.

6. drhill

drhill Member

The controller is a complete failure so far. I'll try unplugging the device like on some guides here and if that doesn't work a factory reset. If that fails sony is getting a nasty phone call.

DTS I knew about. With Plex it can be transcoded, though I'm trying to get them to just decode to PCM (which they have to do before transcoding) and then sending that as it would be just as good as HD audio/DTS support.

Video codecs are there. With the exception of a possible plex issue for files with MPEG2 and DTS, and then the issue with 3d MVC files which at the very least should properly play in 2d. I feel like these can (will?) get fixed.

The 24p not working is a problem.

7. Travel

Travel Active Member

Wondering how you got the GS8 already, when the earliest ship-date with a pre-order is July 5th. They're not supposed to be available before that date.

8. drhill

drhill Member

9. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

10. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

IMO maybe next year we will see some new GTV hardware - however that will be conditional on how well (or not well) Google TV sales are after the Jellybean update. I think that right now the sales numbers probably don't warrant GTV hardware partners making a new production run of a new model. Plus it's still a bit too soon since the release of the second generation hardware. Early next year is a "possibility".

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Travel

Travel Active Member

Right, the box is supposed to be the same, and I don't really care about "voice search," but I figured that the remote in other ways may be improved somewhat on the GS8 from the one that comes with the now discounted GS7.

Basically, i just ordered the latest for $30 extra, just to be done with it. Maybe I'll get used to the voice search and actually use it once in awhile. In the Comcast X2 promo video, Roberts made a point that the voice search can be especially useful with complicated search terms. It's a good point if he's right about that: if it actually responds well to long voice commands.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  12. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

I just can't get my head around Sony going to the expense of generating another unit that only adds voice control via the remote that was already addressed via the GS7. I'm looking at a complete disconnect w/tech advances versus customer concerns. I mean, for goodness sakes, nobody is asking for these products. It is essentially the opposite of what most GTV enthusiast are asking for. And as for the new comers, geeze, they can't know that the GS7/GS8 is anything but the same device packaged under a different name.

WTF????

Carl

13. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

That's one drawback being from the deep south is trying to get voice search to work properly.LOL! Tried the voice search with my tablet with google search and got about five different responses with Clemson Tigers! Gonna develop a wait and see attitude with the GS8 since there is only the voice search being the only difference/advantage! I was hoping for some new hardware myself.

• Like Like x 2