Quantcast

GS7 v Samsung Smart TV - supported video formats.

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by mathewjg, Aug 4, 2013.

1. mathewjg

mathewjg New Member

I have been downloading many films via Navi x onto a hard drive directly connected to the GS7. Of about 40 downloaded 15 will not play back - either through Navi X or the GS7 media player. Out of interest I plugged the drive into my Samsung TV and 13 of the 15 films worked without problem. Then I plugged the drive into my newer Samsung home theatre and all of the films played! The Samsung TV is is a 2010/11 model and the home theatre 2011/12.

It would be useful if there were some media player choices on the playstore - at the moment there are none, yet on my phone there is MX player and a few others but ideally a firmware upgrade with some more video formats supported would be appreciated.

2. ponghclub

ponghclub Member

try this.... vimu player lite you will like it and it's free.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

3. drhill

drhill Member

My Samsung 2010 plasma plays everything I've tried. It supports dts which the gs7/8 does not.

4. theslydog

theslydog New Member

Also aVia: UPnP/DLNA Media Player is similar to vimu.

5. mathewjg

mathewjg New Member

Thanks for the quick replies. Both apps look great and I can now play 90% of my videos. Strangely there are 3 or 4 videos that neither app can play - but they will play on my laptop using VLC player, so it seems that both apps support the same video formats.

6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

There's a few video codecs that don't work on GTV because they are not natively supported (even when using the media player apps such as Vimu, PLEX, etc.) However I suspect that after the GTV Jellybean update the codec support will be better.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  7. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

I have the impression that ViMu expands the number of containers that are supported, but not the number of formats per se. Of course if you have a server that can transcode the video on-the-fly you can work around that.

8. tfid

tfid New Member

This is one of the reasons my GTV box (Asus Cube) remains in a box (made of cardboard) inside my closet.
    The video formats supported by the Cube are ok except for no DTS support.
    Transcoding servers (Plex) are a pain to use, and only 2.4GHz WiFi made streaming nearly useless.
    I tried to solve my streaming problems by using a local HD, but it wouldn't mount a NTFS USB drive. ( I know the USB port might not have 500mA, but I bet it wouldn't work even with the proper current.)

If GTV would give me 'Bubble UPnP' and 'MX player' apps then most of my problems would go away.
    I don't care what anyone says, I'll believe GTV will get the Jellybean update when I see it!

Even then, I predict the Cube's insufficient HW will not be able to be corrected by SW and it will still be a USELESS BRICK!
    Way to go ASUS and Google - you fooled my on this one!

9. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

What is so "insufficient" in Cube's (and any other 2nd Gen GTV) chipset? It is quite fast even compared with the latest tablets.

And... GTV v.4 OS is already real...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  10. tfid

tfid New Member

Case in point - and it didn't even come from me. The SW is insufficient because Chrome will not have flash and web vids are blocked by the networks. The HW will be insufficient for using flash workarounds that involve 'casting' to the GTV from a computer. So I'm looking at trashing the Cube and going for a 3rd gen device, but will it have the proper SW and OS to match it? Who knows?

[​IMG] Originally Posted by CatfishRivers [​IMG]
    I think the following was a good point from the Android Authority article: *** Oddly enough, Pichai noted that Chromecast simply has too much latency for gaming, but the "immersive experience" Google TV provides would be great for that. If I were a betting man, I'd have to say he just hinted at the newest direction Google TV is going. ***
    Clearly there's too much latency right now, but the WebRTC technology they're using to mirror screens is in Beta. We can hope they improve the performance, and if the they do, they might be able to bring something like OnLive gaming to the device. Certainly GTV has more potential as it can do that and host games directly, but would appear to need a CPU, RAM and perhaps a GPU boost and a new remote control in order to to do it well.

Perhaps 3rd gen devices ...