Quantcast

GS7 error when starting Netflix shows - We are having trouble ...

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by flygirl, Oct 16, 2013.

1. flygirl

flygirl New Member

The full error is ... We're having trouble playing this title right now. Please try again later or select a different title. The message number in bottom right corner is aip-701.

This happens on every title. A couple of weeks ago it was starting to reboot during shows off and on. I didn't give it much thought. Then I went on vacation and when I came back it's like this now.

Is there some sort of firmware or software update that it needs? I can play Netflix on my blueray player and on my PC so there's nothing wrong with my account.

I moved the GS7 to my other TV which uses the blueray player and it did the same thing there. There's plenty of signal strength from my router (full bars).

Anyone out there experience this ? Thanks.

2. flygirl

flygirl New Member

Just found it in another thread ... if anyone else experiencing the problem the solution is to clear the cache and force it to stop. Sign in again and it's all good.

"Try force closing the Netflix app. Home Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Netflix. Click on Force Close. Make sure cache shows all zeros."

• Like Like x 2
  3. galfert

galfert Active Member

Instead of clearing the cache and force stopping you can reset the Netflix app from within...

Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, up, up, up, up, then deactivate.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

4. lepooner38

lepooner38 New Member

Thank you.....was searching for similar issues and came across your post.

5. Travel

Travel Active Member

That's the standard fix for when "all else has failed" in correcting apps that are acting squirrely.

Unfortunately, there's an error message (of sorts) when you " Force Stop" in: -Settings>Applications> Manage Applications- that reads: "Force Stopping an application may cause it to misbehave, are you sure?' This seems to be a very misleading message, as I've never heard of "Force Stopping" an app causing problems. It actually has the opposite effect and fixes apps. They should remove that message.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  6. galfert

galfert Active Member

Force stopping Google Framework Services and clearing the cash can really cause some problems that only a factory reset can fix. I'm sure there are other examples. But as a general rule force stopping is okay. But all it takes is one instance and you're toast.

7. Travel

Travel Active Member

Well, this isn't about Force Stopping "Google Famework Services," but rather Force Stopping a particular app in the "Manage Applications" settings.

So, you're trying to say that the message should be there even though a Force Stop almost always helps not hurts. And I doubt you'd be "toast"
    in any case, and it's certainly worth trying "Force Stopping" considering the usual benefit. That message can inhibit users from implementing a useful and proven app fix, and they should remove that misleading message.

8. galfert

galfert Active Member

What I'm saying is that there needs be a message there regardless. But perhaps better worded. Something to the effect that it is okay to stop a misbehaving app but that system services or apps with running background services will stop functioning.

Proof that most people should be warned in some way. Perhaps people should read or ask questions before tinkering.
    http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/showthread.php?p=57292

9. Travel

Travel Active Member

You call that proof in backing up your assertions? It's one lousy post. And inconclusive, at that. There are countless testimonials on this forum of effectively using an app force stop to correct problems. It's constantly recommended. That error message inhibits, it's misleading, and it's totally unnecessary.
    What, do you go out of your way to look for arguments?

10. galfert

galfert Active Member

Not arguing, I'm debating. I value your opinion and intellect. I welcome your participation. Now people can read your opinion and mine. They choose. It's all good.

11. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

As long as a "force stop" can potentially leave an application (let alone the system) in a non-functional state, the warning is certainly warranted; but typically when an application locks up to the point you want to force-stop it - it hardly matters because the only other options are to reboot or pull power and those aren't any kinder.

12. Travel

Travel Active Member

I just had to "Force Stop" the YouTube app, yesterday. I did a factory reset, and after the reset the YouTube app had a "sign-in" pop up at every page change (clicking from "Subscriptions" to "Playlists," etc.) A reboot didn't help the problem, but a "Clear Data" and "Force Stop" of the YouTube app in the "Manage Applications" settings cleared-out the problem like magic.

That error message is a net-negative and will inhibit the unaware from using this very useful fix.

There's no clear evidence that Force Stopping leaves an app or the system non-functional, but there are countless reports that a "Force Stop"/"Clear Data" fixes apps problems. Plus, the error message doesn't even go as far as stating "non-functional" dangers, it merely states that an app may "misbehave."

I remember that I had an app problem when I first started using GoogleTV. A Logitech customer service tech even mentioned that he was annoyed that that error message was included in the Force Stop function, because there was no truth to the message. My guess is that an issue came up in GoogleTV beta testing, later proving to be irrelevant, but the message stayed, anyway.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  13. jonw747

This has nothing to do with "evidence", and everything to do with what happens to software when you force it to stop potentially before it's completed something important. As long as there is a risk - any risk, you're going to see a warning. That's just how things are done.

14. Travel

Travel Active Member

I just had to "Force Stop" the YouTube app, yesterday. I did a factory reset, and after the reset the YouTube app had a "sign-in" pop up at every page change (clicking from "Subscriptions" to "Playlists," etc.) A reboot didn't help the problem, but a "Clear Data" and "Force Stop" of the YouTube app in the "Manage Applications" settings cleared-out the problem like magic.

That error message is a net-negative and will inhibit the unaware from using this very useful fix.

There's no clear evidence that Force Stopping leaves an app or the system non-functional, but there are countless reports that a "Force Stop"/"Clear Data" fixes apps problems. Plus, the error message doesn't even go as far as stating "non-functional" dangers, it merely states that an app may "misbehave."

I remember that I had an app problem when I first started using GoogleTV. A Logitech customer service tech even mentioned that he was annoyed that that error message was included in the Force Stop function, because there was no truth to the message. My guess is that an issue came up in GoogleTV beta testing, later proving to be irrelevant, but the message stayed, anyway

15. Travel

Travel Active Member

Yes it does. You just don't want it to be about evidence because you don't have the evidence to back-up your assertions.

Huh? That statement is a convenient combo of strawman argument and open-ended obscurity. Could you be specific? Are you saying that the box will explode upon a "Force Stop" or something ? Now that really would be an app that misbehaves (lol).

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  16. jonw747

I'm sorry Travel, but warnings like you're seeing are added especially for people like you who have no clue what the ramifications of forcing a program to stop may or may not be. Hopefully you won't get in trouble the way you're using it, but in case you do, at least you can't claim you weren't warned.

17. Travel

Travel Active Member

I'm sorry, but your're just being silly, like that ridiculous thread where you went on and on and on with another poster over whether something should be called a "bug."

You need to reread (previously):

I remember that I had an app problem when I first started using GoogleTV. A Logitech customer service tech even mentioned that he was annoyed that that error message was included in the Force Stop function, because there was no truth to the message. My guess is that an issue came up in GoogleTV beta testing, later proving to be irrelevant, but the message stayed, anyway.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  18. jonw747

Travel, this isn't observational science, or religion, this is engineering. Whether you understand it, or not, there is cause and effect. A "force stop" can terminate a program while it's in the middle of an operation. If that operation needed to be completed, then you have a problem. How big of a problem depends on the program and the operation. If the program was stuck, or you planned to wipe out it's data store anyway, then it probably isn't going to matter; but even that can't be promised because what all programs do cannot be known to the person who added the "Force Stop" button.

You can hope programs and cloud systems are well designed and can handle faults, but that's not always the case.

19. Travel

Travel Active Member

I'm sorry, but your're just being silly, like that ridiculous thread where you went on and on and on with another poster over whether something should be called a "bug."

You need to reread (previously):

20. jonw747

Like the saying goes, you can lead a camel to water, but you can't make him drink.

• Like Like x 2