Quantcast

GS7 crashed to factory reset

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by jfrisbee, Aug 13, 2013.

1. jfrisbee

jfrisbee New Member

Hey Guys,
    I ran into a problem last night that I can't seem to resolve. I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me.

I was watching a movie through my GS7 that is stored on a 2TB external USB hard drive. It was working great until suddenly the screen froze and went blue with vertical lines. The remote was unresponsive, so I simply unplugged/replugged the GS7 and rebooted it. After it started up, it brought me to the initial set up screen for the remote control. The screen where I first need to pair the remote with the unit. It was like I had done a factory reset, but I hadn't... I thought it was kind of strange, but made the remote pair with the unit, then it started walking me through the set up process. That was kind of frustrating, but I just went along with it and just figured I would have to set up everything again. So I did, and it told me it needed to restart for the new settings to take effect. All very normal for a first-time set up. I told it to restart, and after it restarted, it brought me back to the initial set up page AGAIN! I can't seem to get it past this. I've unplugged it, let it sit for a while, unplugged all the attachments (HD, ethernet, HDMI cables), but nothing seems to be able to get it past the initial set up.

Has anyone run into this one before? I can't find anything online, so any help would be huge!
    Thanks!

2. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

I imagine there's a button that has to be held down normally to factory reset the unit. I suppose that could be stuck, but short of that, it sounds like the unit is experiencing a critical problem that it's unable to recover from and will need to be replaced. You might try performing the factory reset explicitly. It's possible it might clear something out that hasn't already been cleared out. You might also try leaving it unpowered for 30 minutes with everything disconnected

btw, you can use Ctrl-Shift-Backspace to reboot a locked up unit. You typically don't need to pull the plug.

3. jfrisbee

jfrisbee New Member

Thanks jonw.
    I'm going to give it another try when I get home. Hopefully the unit will have sorted itself out by then and I won't need to send it back for repairs.
    Also, thanks for the tip on rebooting.

4. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

also, give this a try,

"Reset" (hardware "reset", not a factory reset)

or

"Factory-reset" (via hardware)

FYI: the displayed "service menu" has two option "Reset" and "Factory reset" (try first the "Reset" option, if that does not resolve the issue, then try "Factory reset" option).

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  5. jfrisbee

jfrisbee New Member

Thanks for your help guys!
    After trying these recommendations and speaking with Sony Customer Support, I'm going to be sending back the unit for replacement. It's still under warranty, so I'm happy to just get a new one (or refurbished one) rather than continue to run into this problem in the future.

Thanks again guys!

6. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

On the rare occasions when my GS7 freezes up is always on facebook.If I leave the room or get hung up talking on the phone and come back facebook will freeze it up.I know they run a odd program of Java cause I see it pop up at the bottom of the screen on my desktop before.When this happens and I have to flip the handy switch to cut the power I always have to pair up my remote with the unit.