Quantcast

GS7 Box almost unusably slow?

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by ginsengbomb, Apr 12, 2013.

1. ginsengbomb

ginsengbomb New Member

Hi all,

Recently returned to the GTV fold after a lengthy absence, largely out of interest in the new Primetime features, availability of Amazon app, etc.

Here's my problem. The GS7 seems almost unusably slow to me. Is it normal for me to frequently have lag of upwards of 8-10 seconds on button presses on the remote? I'll hit "Home" to bring up the home bar and have to wait that long for it to appear, and then maybe 2-4 seconds to move through options on the home bar. Search and Primetime's Live Guide take 10-15 seconds to appear most of the time, and sometimes considerably longer. I've seen it take upwards of a full minute to bring the Guide up.

I've honestly never see anything like this.

Rebooting the device seems to fix this but inevitably within a couple of hours it's back to being slow as molasses. Having to reboot the thing every few hours won't work for me.

Any ideas? Apps I've installed that didn't come pre-installed include Plex, IMDb, and SnagFilms.

EDIT: I've just noticed something odd. Before rebooting earlier, I looked in my "Running services" menu and it appeared to indicate only 256mb of RAM (total, not available; available was at -- no joke -- 23mb). I've just rebooted and it now shows 512mb RAM, with 286mb available. And I've read that this device should have 1gb RAM. Is faulty RAM a known problem with this device?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

It does have 1GB RAM, we have covered this before many times, not sure what you are looking at that makes you believe otherwise but I suspect it is an available for user figure. I suggest you install Smart RAM booster to keep unneeded apps from running, I have no idea why but RAM becomes cluttered by apps running you don't want running. I never have lags like you described because I have been clearing RAM for as long as I have been using Google TV, before I installed RAM booster, I did it manually, that app is so much easier.

I am not sure if the RAM cluttered problem is inherent with all Android devices but Google TV requires you pay attention and avoid the issue or the box will run very slowly.

• Like Like x 2
  3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Also going to Chrome settings and clearing Cache and browsing history will free up some Ram. Clearing Cache frees the most RAM - (so you don't need to clear history as frequently as Cache if you don't want to). And you can free up some more Ram by going to Chrome settings and closing any other open windows.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ginsengbomb

ginsengbomb New Member

When you run Smart RAM Booster, what figure is listed for "Total Memory"? I'm just being paranoid about whether or not I have a box with a hardware issue.

Incidentally, this does look like an excellent app solution, so Thanks for that :).

5. ChrisG8

I get different numbers from my three Google TV models. I think the NSZ-GS7 is about 512MB but all three have 1GB RAM, that has been proven by tear downs. In light of the fact the boxes bog down once RAM is at about 120MB available, I wish all had 2GB RAM but for whatever reason, nobody has stepped forward to make one with 2GB.

6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

One other thing that you could try to improve your speed is the Seeder APK. I use it on my Logitech Revue and I notice my web browsing is snappier with Seeder. There is a long thread on the forum about Seeder here:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-apps/7033-seeder-apk.html

*Note: I recommend using version 2.8 of Seeder (Chopper posted a link for the 2.8 Seeder APK download (from Dropbox) in the thread). Some of the newer versions of Seeder reportedly don't work as well with GTV. I only have a Logitech Revue so I haven't tested Seeder on the NSZ-GS7.

** If you use both Seeder and Smart Ram booster - you need to make sure that you have Seeder check-marked as a "whitelisted" app (from within the Smart Ram Booster settings).

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  7. ChrisG8

I am not a fan of Seeder APK, I don't recall which of my boxes I tried it with but I didn't keep it long. I haven't seen a coherent explanation of why it helps, other than it just keeps the processor in a higher state of readiness and I am not sure that is a good thing or if that really results in improved performance but I do know I didn't notice anything. I consider it snake oil at this point, if science proves me wrong, I might look at it again if I ever have any performance problems I can't overcome by the way I operate Google TV. I also don't know if different chip architecture, Intel Atom used with the first gen versus Marvell Armada ARM with the second generation would provide different results, I do know I used it with an Intel Atom based model, either the Sony NSZ-GT1 or Logitech Revue.

8. donc13

donc13 Member

Hummmm.... Maybe I am special, but my NSZ - GS7 shows 4GB of internal storage.

Memory booster shows 180M free out of 628M and I never have or see a slow down like you describe.

Running Services shows 189M free, 252M used. (Manage Applications, Running shows the same)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  9. ChrisG8

Yes, mine shows the same thing, it is the NSZ-GT1 that shows less RAM. The actual internal storage is 8GB but for whatever reason, the user accessible shown flash storage is only 4GB.

10. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

This is either a WiFi issue or an Ethernet problem. It has nothing to do w/the GS7. It could even be a Router issue if the poster is using one. Look, this is a small client system. That means that we would all experience the limitations that is described. I don't use a tasker or any cache clearing apps. I have never had anything similar to the problems explained above.

It simply ain't the device.

Sorry...

Look for another culprit in yer troubleshooting efforts...

Carl

11. Carlszone

I and I'm quite sure others would like to help ya troubleshoot the problems yer having. But the title of this thread assumes that you have tried all troubleshooting measures and decided the unit is the problem. Let folks here help ya before drawing a false conclusion.

The fact that you already have had problems that include a lag in commands via yer remote tells me that you are experiencing something beyond the norm. A bad WiFi connection will definitely cause the same symptoms.

So, give us a little info on yer setup. Yer current broadband speed is also relevant to pinpoint where things are going wrong for ya.

Approach the problem from the simplest troubleshooting steps to the more complex. Check yer power strip. Plug the unit directly into the socket. Then check everything else from there expanding to an Crtl + Alt + Delete to eventually and lastly a Factory Reset.

But honestly I think you will find the problem long before that...

If it turns out yer unit is actually defective, well ya have Sony support to further help you. Unlike many of the newer units Sony provides full support 24/7.

Carl

12. donc13

donc13 Member

Nah... His issues have nothing to do with the internet. For example, he says hitting the home button can take 10 seconds to switch. That is typical of a system that is low on RAM and his checks confirm that.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

• Like Like x 2
  13. Carlszone

Well...

That helps.

Thanks...

14. ginsengbomb

ginsengbomb New Member

Oh, no, to be clear, I was asking about RAM, not internal flash storage.

I'm now seeing the same (-ish) numbers as you in both the booster app and in running services. I'm beginning to wonder if I had some temporary hardware issue that resolved itself (perhaps it was overheating) because I was seeing available RAM down to 23mb, with only ~220mb used. Now I'm back to the more expected totals adding up to around 630mb.