Quantcast

GS7 aw snap

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by bkday, Jan 13, 2014.

1. bkday

bkday New Member

Latest version Rel 11 was updated fw ver 3.2 automatically when released. I notice alot after about 10-15 watching video I get the AW Snap and have to reload. Annoying. How is this able to be corrected. This is not on you tube. Try to watch Yahoo.tv Sunrise from Australia. Never had an issue before. Worked flawlessly. Any info would be great.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Aside from rebooting which clears up some RAM - the best thing you can do is go to Chrome settings and close all other open Windows.

You could also try running an app such as Smart RAM Booster to free up some available Ram - but IMO if you keep all of the other Windows closed you shouldn't need to run a RAM booster app. Try rebooting and closing Windows first - and then if that doesn't work try the Smart Ram Booster app.

Also it would be a good idea to go to your Chrome settings and clear the Adobe Flash Cookies.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  3. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

Must be a flash issue cause when I click on a link to watch a news video it will play for a while then"AW SNAP" shows up.It's really bad when I've been on facebook for a while and click a news link from there.I always try to click the menu key and clear cache and history if I intend to venture to watch a news video.Sometimes we have to just deal with it.

4. bkday

bkday New Member

Yes, same here. And sometimes , many on Facebook say Update adobe Flash in order to view. Can't update flash. Thats what I was thinking, is it a flash issue. I know the website has changed and maybe they have made changes. Never had probs til recently

5. bkday

bkday New Member

Right now don't seem to have issue on You tube using google chrome now. By doing the above, may have cleared. The live stream I was watching on yahoo.tv/sunrise is over. So I will check tomorrow. Thanks. Keep fingers crossed

6. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Flash support is a no-win situation on Google Tv. It barely works even when it does work, but not working at all is even worse. The "Aw Snaps!" are unforgivable.

7. CatfishRivers

I also get the Aw Snap! quite a bit when loading bloated web pages on my Logitech Revue. That issue is mostly fixed by closing open windows. Aside from Flash being an inherently unstable platform - the engineers behind these current GTV units really blew it by trying to run a full desktop browser with only 1GB of RAM.

Just the GTV system apps running all the time in the background eats up a lot of the available RAM. There also appears to be some kind of gradual memory leak that eats into available RAM beginning after a reboot. I'm not sure how the open windows are determined with GTV - in just normal web browsing activites my Revue will seem to randomly keep from 1 to 4 open windows. The open windows also eat into available RAM.

Bottom Line: GTV devices would be much better off with 2GB of RAM.

8. retroben

retroben Active Member

'nuff said,we need more RAM.
    We really just need a way to get a much larger swap file (3GB) to eliminate RAM losing issues.

There is a new character on Happy Wheels since Christmas Eve called Helicopter Man.
    I specifically got a one-time "aw snap" error after exiting the Helicopter Man's wiki page for Happy Wheels.
    It disabled the page's script function because it ran out of memory space while loading the page in the browser.

I have the 2.0.0 version of seeder,which force closes every time at startup,but it works better with its aggressive setting than the older version that lacks it.
    Now flash loading/downloading percents are near instant.

The Helicopter Man in Happy Wheels works great on my GS7.

9. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Catfish, while we can open muliple windows, they do not radiate as they would on a PC. If they did then we could open a media file and still hear it while we surf. So far we can only do this w/apps like Pandora and a few other apps. Even the Youtube app pauses when we move from app to app. This is why I think most Ram Boosters give a false impression of clearing Ram. Eventually we must close Chrome. Rather than having the unit disconnect like w/MSNTV 2, GTV Force Closes Chrome to free cache. I've purposely opened all apps and surfed w/Pandora playing. All went well until I came to a page loaded w/Flash ads. No Ram Booster is going to overcome the excess use of Flash.

Our devices simply cannot dump cache as a computer can. Unfortunately everything we do is based on our Chrome Browser. Ram cleaners do just that. They clear ram by closing apps. They cannot clear cache. Hence the browser must Force Close. You are certainly right about the lack of Ram being a major pain. But beyond that, the inability to dump cache is the real small client killer!

Eventually we all have to do a Ctrl+Alt+Delete...

Carl

10. CatfishRivers

Carl yeah the windows on GTV are different. Maybe you missed the following thread (see link below)? - there is a unique procedure to keep web radio playing in the background while web surfing with GTV devices:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-general-discussion/8444-music.html

11. Carlszone

Yes, that would make sense because you are exploiting the same process that apps use. But generally nobody surfs like that. If we did then the pages would radiate. In other words they would remain active. But basically the pages we open are inactive until we use the back, tab or window function. It is the same for accessing music while watching TV. The music stops when we bring up the TV then we use the Notifications feature to continue the music. But this isn't a cache killer. It may slow ya down but it doesn't cause the Aw Snaps error msg.

I believe we have sufficient Ram. We could have 4 GBs and we'd still have a cache problem. And the culprit would be Flash every time. This is why the internet is moving slowly but surely away from Flash. Esp. cellphone, tablet and other small client developers. I've never yet had an app Force Close due to lack of Ram except for Chrome.

Most of the things we do on GTV doesn't effect Cache. Like gaming devices we could go indefinitely w/out a problem just using apps. But once we open Chrome the countdown begins.

GTV was designed well. But nobody has yet solved the cache probem...

Carl

12. CatfishRivers

I don't believe GTV was designed well - because taking into effect the amount of RAM used for everyday running processes, the memory leak, the quirky windows on GTV, and the full desktop browser with Flash - 1GB of Ram is not enough for consistent smooth operation. To me that means it wasn't designed properly. The cache situation will be improved with the Jellybean update which removes Flash and comes with the mobile Chrome browser. A mistake in the original design was going with a full desktop browser and expecting it to work optimally under the circumstances with 1GB of RAM and an Intel Atom processor.

I suppose conversly one could argue that 1GB of RAM is enough - but rather the full desktop browser is the root of the evil. Either way it represents a design flaw. . IMO a mobile browser is not ideal for viewing on a TV - so I can understand they wanted to go with a desktop browser . But if you go with the full desktop browser then you have to design the device accordingly.

Many of the full web sites on the web are specifically designed for desktop computers that have much more 'horsepower' than GTV. Expecting GTV's limited resources to be able to smoothly handle all of the big bloated web sites designed for a full PC - was bad judgement plain and simple.

Remember when Google TV first launched - one of the selling points was the ability to experience the "full web". Ha-ha-ha........

13. jonw747

How ironic given that cache is supposed to be short-term storage that can be free'd whenever space is needed.

Anyway, I agree with Catfish's conclusions. They match my own observations about how the system behaves, and not all problems with the box can be linked to flash video or even the browser. There just isn't enough free RAM for Apps.

14. Carlszone

The best test is to close all apps, use whatever Ram cleaners and go to a page that you've gotten the Aw Snaps! error msg. If my test was correct, the error msg will be encountered again or a force close will occur. If it were simply a Ram problem then apps like Netflix & Youtube would also force close. But I can play Netflix til the cows come home. No matter how many apps or windows I have open. While cache is short-term, it still has to be dumped. Computers do this by deleting temporary files as you surf. My MSNTV 2 could play live videos for days w/out a disconnect. But as soon as I loaded certain pages the unit disconnected. GTV being more stable reacts by closing Chrome.

If you go to Running Apps you will see that yer available memory remains the same. If it were a Ram problem you should see a significant drop in free Ram. Memory isn't leaking. Cache is simply filling up. These devices aren't that complicated. If our OS is based on Chrome then the browser determines how efficiently our units interact w/webpages. The Aw Snaps can be caused by multiple factors. Force closes can only be for one reason.

Cache...

Waiver:

The above is only my opinion and does not invalidate the opinions of others as expressed above. I reserve the right to be absolutely wrong in my opinion (which in this case I doubt) and apologize in advance for any inaccuracies my non-tech observations may contain.

15. Travel

Travel Active Member

You can experience the full web, but it's just not the same exact experience of the web as from a PC. Viewed from "the big screen," a lot of sites aren't in perfect format for example, and have to be zoomed for a comfortable text font size. That doesn't mean that GoogleTV is of a flawed design, it just goes with the territory with regard to the current state of "internet on HDTV" technology. In other words, they did the best they could with what they had to work with. That's what updates like the Jelly Bean and KitKat are all about: "improve and update."

Have to agree with the opposing argument, imperfect website performance can't just be simply blamed on poor design of not enough RAM. It's doubtful that the amount of RAM has much at all to do with it. The outdated API level (see Google's Jelly Bean update) probably has a good deal to do with the "clunky site" occurrence. It's full internet access on your TV from a box. Google never claimed that GoogleTV is a "PC on your TV for $200."

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  16. CatfishRivers

The world doesn't revolve around Google TV. Rather GTV needs to revolve around the realities of the internet. Webmasters aren't going to put much effort into designing GTV friendly web sites. Google needed to design the GTV devices for the realities of the internet. The Aw snap errors are related to low RAM. All of the Google apologists will blame the numerous problems with GTV on everything except the one entity responsible for putting out a faulty box with faulty design. User error, web page designers, the stars aligning wrong - I've heard it all -;)

17. Carlszone

Hi Catfish

We probably will see whether you are correct. To me, in a way, it doesn't really matter. Except to know and be able to recognize the problems w/any full internet access device, I really don't care if it ends up being a design flaw, or lack of Ram, or a cache problem. In the end the results remain the same for me. This is not a device I would ever use as the only means of internet access. Nor is it an OS that I would want embedded in any HDTV that costs more than $400.00-$500.00.

That said, GTV is convenient in many ways despite its flaws. The way it displays Netflix and allows for Resuming a video or starting at the beginning. On my PC the setup is annoying. The AIV app allows for easy access to my video library & the categories make for easy access to Prime and other movies. Primetime makes searching for content a breeze. Win 8 apps are a mess. Plain & simple. They add & drop apps w/out notice. Pandora on Win 8 was perfect. I got the 8.1 update and poof! Pandora no longer available. TWC works sporatically. Crappy Bing Weather works flawlessly.

I don't see Ram as a design problem. It is a sys defect common to many small client devices. Even, if I am correct and the problem turns out to be cache related, I don't feel this is a design flaw, rather it is a limitation common to all internet access devices. This is why we see so few developers attempting full internet settop boxes. We simply have too few examples to compare GTV with.

How many have attempted this? WebTV/MSNTV 2. AOLTV. Xbox. I applaud Google for its effort.

I'll never apologize...

Lol!

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  18. jonw747

The evolution of Android in general is such that it runs much better on all platforms/versions with 2GB of RAM, because 1GB simply doesn't leave much for the Apps to work with. It's possible there's a flaw in the cache design as it relates to flash as well, but we know from the phone market that 2GB is going to help things a alot.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Carlszone

Hi Jon

I'd love to see a 4 GB GTV device whether it be under Android or Chrome. I wouldn't be surprised to see a super fast browser that opens webpages at lightening speed only to need force closing or other remedies if cache memory is not addressed. I think on a PC because it acts as a server for data files it can dump data efficiently. It stores temporary cache files outside of the browser so you can go back & forward seamlessly. All the GTV devices opens one active window at a time. 3 or 4 remain accessible. Maybe open is not the correct term. If a window were truly open you would still hear a video playing in the background while in another window. An example is the update in Chrome 32. This specifically addresses the open tab problem.

I don't believe the amt of windows/tabs that are so-called opened have any bearing on the GS-7/8 memory whatsoever.

But what do I know...

Carl

20. jonw747

Do you own any other Android devices? Have you used Android phones/tablets with 512MB, 1GB, 2GB of RAM and seen how far you could push those devices?

Android can manage memory including cache memory, but when there's so little left to work with, what's it supposed to do?

When a GTV device can run Android as effortlessly and quickly as a high-end Android phone/tablet, they'll have something.

One thing to keep in mind is that until recently most phones didn't need to support HD (1920x1080) resolutions, yet it's been a requirement of our Google TV's for a couple of years now.